Front dif. locked out all the time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front dif. locked out all the time

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-05-2003, 04:49 PM   #1
Trevor Khoury

Front dif. locked out all the time

I just purchaced a 1993 grand cherokee with the 5.2 motor in it and I am having problems with it when I make sharp turns. When I am turning it is very choppy like the front dif. is locked, the outside wheel leaves rubber on the ground and I don't know why it is doing this. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what is wrong, I don't know much about the grand cheokee?
Thanks for your help
Trevor

Trevor Khoury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2003, 06:57 PM   #2
boing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Khoury
I just purchaced a 1993 grand cherokee with the 5.2 motor in it and I am having problems with it when I make sharp turns. When I am turning it is very choppy like the front dif. is locked, the outside wheel leaves rubber on the ground and I don't know why it is doing this. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what is wrong, I don't know much about the grand cheokee?
Thanks for your help
Trevor
Your Viscious Coupling is gone and will need to be replaced it is not a cheap repair over $1000 You would be better off swaping the 249 transfer case out for a 242 it will cost about the same price if not cheaper than fixing the VC in the 249 and you get a better transfer case. Also for more info just do a search on viscious coupling you will have alot of reading. My VC went out on my ZJ just after I bought it but I was lucky the dealer went good for the repair. And if I Knew then what I know now I would have got them to swap a 242.

boing
boing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2003, 03:06 PM   #3
Harald

Quote:
Originally Posted by boing
Your Viscious Coupling is gone and will need to be replaced it is not a cheap repair over $1000 You would be better off swaping the 249 transfer case out for a 242 it will cost about the same price if not cheaper than fixing the VC in the 249 and you get a better transfer case. Also for more info just do a search on viscious coupling you will have alot of reading. My VC went out on my ZJ just after I bought it but I was lucky the dealer went good for the repair. And if I Knew then what I know now I would have got them to swap a 242.

boing
Boing
Got a 96 GCL 5.2L, any idea of what milage to expect from the VC? Got a symptom that probably is rear diff. limited slip, but also could be the VC.

Harald
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2003, 03:24 PM   #4
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I'm still on my original VC. (147K) It truly depends on how the vehicle is driven. I know a lot of Grands that are punished by purely being street driven.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com

Last edited by Texas ZJ1; 10-06-2003 at 03:26 PM..
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2003, 03:53 PM   #5
boing

I think its a gambel you pay your money and take your chances. but a little preventive maintance like rotating tiers and checking the tire pressure regularly.

Boing
boing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.