Front CV joint stuck to diff. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front CV joint stuck to diff.

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
jaguarjoe
1995 ZJ 

Front CV joint stuck to diff.

Title sez it all. I took the six bolts out and took the TC end off the DS. Now the CV joint is stuck in the yoke. I have a huge pair of 460 Channelocks that can grab it but it won't budge. I tried tapping it off with a large screwdriver and hammer but it won't budge.

Any ideas?

jaguarjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
savannahzj
1998 ZJ 

my 98 had six bolts on each side of the front drive shaft. the yoke stays in the diff.
savannahzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
jaguarjoe
1995 ZJ 

The yoke is attached to the diff with the big pinion nut, right? Don't wanna take that off because it wrecks the preload.
There is nothing else holding the CV joint to that yoke besides the 6 8mm bolts, right? I sure can't see anything.
There's nothing under the CV boot to hold it on is there? That would be dumb.
jaguarjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
DoozerPeej
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It just gets stuck in there, hit the side of the joint pretty good with a dead blow hammer or put a piece of wood on it and hit it with a regular hammer. It will come loose eventually if the bolts are all out.
DoozerPeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
savannahzj
1998 ZJ 

Remove the 6 bolts, tap with hammer, it should come out. Mine practically fell out once all the bolts were removed.
savannahzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

you not on a hill where the driveshaft is in a bind are you? try rocking the tires back in forth with you hand

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.