Front CV Axle Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front CV Axle Removal

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 08-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
FFuries
1996 ZJ 

Front CV Axle Removal

Read the procedures on here, great info, but after getting the three bolts off I can't get any further, nothing seems to want to move or come off. We are at the point of removing the axle if I read everything right. I have the CV joint style axle, everything is stock on this ride so far. HELP!

4.0 L
Stock 2000 Jeep WJ Laredo
4.7, Loaded W/ Every Option Available
FFuries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

after you take those 3 bolts off it should pop off and come out... try a few blows with the BFH
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
FFuries
1996 ZJ 

Been beating the monster, doesn't want to budge. Does the dust shield come off with outer portion of the axle? From the write-up pictures I don't see a dust shield. We have hit everywhere we can think of, on the side, from the back, no joy. Then again his/write-up outer axle shaft came right off due to it being broke right there.
4.0 L
Unread 08-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

Are you trying to get the hub off? Don't hit that with a hammer. Thread in a longer bolt just a few turns so it's sticking out. Then turn the steering wheel, should pop right off.
Unread 08-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
FFuries
1996 ZJ 

Yes still trying to get the hub off, if I'm correct afer the hub is off the CV axle should just slide out. Dumb question number one, thread a bolt into where/what?

Wheel rermoved, brake pads, caliper, rotor removed, 3 bolts removed, axle nut, cotter pin, washer, spring all removed. Looking at the hub, it won't come off at all. Working on the passenger side if that has any bearing.
4.0 L

Last edited by FFuries; 08-02-2008 at 01:01 PM..
Unread 08-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Here, check this out minute 1:59

http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/video...D=434#video434

Harry

Oh yeah, Just mute the music...

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~

Last edited by Yardman Harry; 08-02-2008 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: forgot to add
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
FFuries
1996 ZJ 

The video tips are great, but it shows a U-Joint style axle, I don't have any thing to brace the extension against with the CV-Joint style axle from what we can see. Unless I've been looking at it for too long and fustration is over-ruling my brain.
4.0 L
Unread 08-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
FFuries
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for all the tips and pointers, it finally broke free. Not by my doing though, clearer heads prevail, my wife after seeing the tips and my fustration, went right to it, she threaded the 3 bolts back in tapped on them a few times, broke it free and off it came. Again thanks for all the help. Now to put it all back together again.
4.0 L
Unread 08-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
MEinSoCal
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFuries View Post
Thanks for all the tips and pointers, it finally broke free. Not by my doing though, clearer heads prevail, my wife after seeing the tips and my fustration, went right to it, she threaded the 3 bolts back in tapped on them a few times, broke it free and off it came. Again thanks for all the help. Now to put it all back together again.
sounds like your wife is a keeper. maybe you should let her do the wrenching on your jeep from now on
Unread 08-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #10
FFuries
1996 ZJ 

Yeap she sure is a keeper, and knows her way around a tool box, and is capable of doing brake jobs, engine rebuilds etc etc. She's the level headed one, I feel that if the manual says this is the way it's supposed to come off, then it better damn well work that way. She on the other hand thinks/knows that there is a way to get around it not going the way it should. She can work on her Durango, and fix it with no problems, she even argued with the guys from the parts store when they told her that her Durango didn't come with ABS when she was replacing her front hub assembly. Bunch of idiots they lost that fight. She has been teaching our daughter to do vehicle maintenance, in fact daddy's little girl (16 yo) is doing my oil change tomorrow.
4.0 L

Last edited by FFuries; 08-02-2008 at 11:31 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.