front crank seal question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > front crank seal question

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 09-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
zonkerd
1995 ZJ 

front crank seal question

my front crank seal is leaking,can I just pull off the balancer and change the seal or do I have to pull the timming cover? looked it up on Mitchel labor op said .9 of an hour. I got the seal today looks like it goes in from the back sideof the cover.Ive done lots of them just not a 5.2 motor.

Unread 09-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Pretty sure it's just pull the balancer . Easier with the cover on the bench obviously . Just be careful not to knock it through . I don't recall if there was a seat for the seal or not
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

There should be a seat for the seal, so knocking it through shouldn't be an issue.

I may need to do this soon as well, is this something that can be done with the radiator in place or will it need to be removed? I'm assuming do to the labor time posted by the OP it's just a matter of removing the belt, pulling the balancer and then replacing the seal correct?

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
There should be a seat for the seal, so knocking it through shouldn't be an issue.

I may need to do this soon as well, is this something that can be done with the radiator in place or will it need to be removed? I'm assuming do to the labor time posted by the OP it's just a matter of removing the belt, pulling the balancer and then replacing the seal correct?

There 'should' be a seat , but I know some covers don't . I think this one does .

Yes , get the balancer off and it's right there .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
zonkerd
1995 ZJ 

thanks for the info guys
Unread 09-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
JapJohn
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
timing cover must come off, seal presses in from the rear
I did mine when I changed out my HB without removing the timing cover. There was a lip for the seal to stop on.

Getting it started evenly was a PITA. After I got it started I used a hole saw in a 2x6 wood plank to slip over the crank and used a rubber dead blow to drive it in.
JapJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapJohn View Post
I did mine when I changed out my HB without removing the timing cover. There was a lip for the seal to stop on.

Getting it started evenly was a PITA. After I got it started I used a hole saw in a 2x6 wood plank to slip over the crank and used a rubber dead blow to drive it in.
I guess my memory has failed me. It's been awhile. Here is a pic, yes it appears it presses in from the front.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

a seal installer tool makes quick work of getting that seal in there
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
a seal installer tool makes quick work of getting that seal in there
Yep you should be able to rent a seal installer kit from the local parts store. If those aren't available then a ball peen hammer and some light tapping around the seal will get the job done.

Don't forget to put a light coating of oil or grease around the seal lip to prevent damaging the seal on startup.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
JapJohn
1995 ZJ 

Miller tool 6635.

There are a few on eBay right now, I really wish I had one when I did my seal.

Worth the price IMO.
JapJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I bought a piece of 2" PVC pipe and a couple adapters. I cut the pipe into three pieces about a foot long and glued the adapters to the end. I've found that they match a lot of seals, are hollow so they slip over transmission input shafts, and are long enough to let me make sure that I'm 100% square to the seal bore before hammering. Plus they're hard enough to push the seal but soft enough not to hurt the steel shell. Obviously you'd need to cut them shorter for a crank seal but still a good idea I think.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #12
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Don't forget to inspect the seal surface on the balancer, most likely it will have some significant grooving, might want to put a sleeve on it or if the rubber on the balancer is cracking badly or the outer ring on the balancer is misaligned just replace it.....

The seal is real simple to do, i actually pried it out with a screwdriver but i also had the cover off because i was servicing the timing chain cover gasket!.
Smokey1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
zonkerd
1995 ZJ 

did my seal today in 45 min! yes goes in the front also installed a redi sleeve on the balancer.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.