front control arm - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
funkness
1998 ZJ 

front control arm

so i got my new tires and rims on yesterday and they are rubbing!!! ok but the people at the store told me is was cause by the front lower control arm needing to be replace because its causing the axle to move forward and backwards they also said the vehicle is not alignable due to this and needing new inner tie rods and drive link replaced does this sound right just want to make sure before i start buying stuff the alignable makes sense to me and the control arms make sense but just want more informed people to confirm it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 AM
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

What size tires, are you lifted, where is it rubbing?
post #3 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
funkness
1998 ZJ 

2 inches lift with 255/70/17r its rubbing on the very front corner wheel well but its not all the time its only after i have reversed and turn the wheel
post #4 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 10:02 AM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

that's normal for any solid front axle 5 link vehicle. there's some give in bushings.

trim your front bumper.

now, you may actually need those things, but it won't solve your rubbing, only trimming will.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
funkness
1998 ZJ 

but this is like 1.5 - 2 inches of play.. is that normal? i was just going back and for and you can actually see the distance increase with the naked eye
post #6 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 AM
gs69350
1998 ZJ 

Mine was doing that after lift. I re-tightened LCA bolts and then found my trackbar was loose at the axle. Tightened it up again and no more play.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited - Stone White - Stock for now.

<-- 5.9 Owner's group on FB.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 AM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

like i said, they're probably bad, but rubbing the front bumper is normal for tires that size on a 2" lift.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.