front bump stop removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > front bump stop removal

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
white_lexie
1993 ZJ 

front bump stop removal

I am putting new isolaters all the way around and cannot get the bumpstop off to put the new isolators on, what is the trick to getting them off? I need this done asap to get it back on the road.

white_lexie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

you need to take out the rubber bumpstop itself to access the bolt that hold the cup to the bottom of the spring post. ive always had trouble getting the rubber out. if you still have the coil in, ive found it works well to use a pair of channel locks and reach through the coil and grab the rubber bumpstop. then using the coil as a fulcrum, you have leverage to pop it out. then you can access the 15mm
bolt inside.
edit: or you might have luck using a large flat head screwdriver vertical to pry it out

i think some people grind the edge of the cup so they dont have to remove them to clear the isolators or coil spacers.
Unread 09-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
98BlackZJ
1998 ZJ 

I used a pipe wrench on the cup that holds the bumpstop to get mine out.
Unread 09-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
ajmorell

You're going to have to take the coil out anyways. Once it's out you can do as was mentioned above, I've always just used a BFH to get the bumpstop out. Once that's out you can just unbolt the cup. Installation is the reverse. I found that getting the bumpstop back in can be a challenge. The easiest way I found was to compress the axle without the spring until the spring pad contacts the bumpstop to press it back in.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.