Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Front Brakes locking but have ABS, no light

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  98jgc 
#1 ·
New owner of this 98 JGC, auto, 4.0 with 4 wheel disks ABS. I recently replaced front pads and rotors (bled). Brakes have operated great until we got some snow. The front wheels lock very easily and the rears pulse properly. I know this cause I had someone watch me in a parking lot. The vehicle slides very easily. I have not replaced the rear brakes yet and there is no ABS light. ABS light does work when you "key on"

I am Supposed to drive 150 miles in not so good of weather in a day or two. Is this because the front brakes are in much better shape ? Could I have done something to screw up the ABS while changing the pads ?

I pulled fuse 11 today to eliminate ABS its better but the fronts are still VERY grabby.

It is in 4WD.

Thanks in advance

#3 ·
check the sliders on the spindles , they can get grooves and cause your problem . The sliders are where your brake pads rest in case you don`t know . Greasing might help if not bad , use some hi-temp copper lube for good results

#6 ·
When I did the brakes I cleaned them up and lubed em pretty good, although the Jeep did sit awhile before i bought it could be a groove. I'm guessing the rear brakes are just shot. The reason for replacing the fronts was deterioration of the pads. Rusty rotors etc, spongy. Its now very firm.

#7 ·
:confused::confused::confused:

Are you getting too much dust on the wheel sensors ? Sorry , but you might have to explain that to me . The rotors and pads make it stop , the ABS measures , and compensates for lock up at the wheels . If you ABS isn`t engaging , you aren`t locking your tires up , or , you have an ABS light on which totally shuts off the ABS because of a problem , certainly no fault to the rotors or pads

My reason for saying grooves , I have that issue with mine , p/s rear , checked today , small groove , but the grease seems to be working , I only went for a short test ride

#5 ·
I bled the brakes because the fluid looked very dark and contaminated, The pads and rotors came from carquest and I asked that they give me whatever "one step up from the bottom is" for the rotors and pads. Pretty much stock. 64.00 for the rotors and 60.00 for the pads (ceramic)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.