Front brake pulsations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front brake pulsations

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 08-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Bzwth
2008 WK 

Front brake pulsations

My 99 Grand Cherokee is getting front brake pulsations and has never had the brake caliper upgrade from Teves to Akebone. I've read that changing over to the new brake caliper doesn't always permanently solve the problem. Has anyone on this forum come up with a way to permanently eliminate the pulsations without changing the calipers or is there really no way around it?

Bzwth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzwth View Post
My 99 Grand Cherokee is getting front brake pulsations and has never had the brake caliper upgrade from Teves to Akebone. I've read that changing over to the new brake caliper doesn't always permanently solve the problem. Has anyone on this forum come up with a way to permanently eliminate the pulsations without changing the calipers or is there really no way around it?

A couple years ago, I switched to drilled rotors..... OEM are crap. I still have calipers that came on my 2000 WJ, but no more pulsations.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
kwb18
2011 WK 

I had the calipers switched. Solved my problem for a while and then it came back. Replaced new pads and rotors and the problem went away. My problem were the rotors the second time.
kwb18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

Sounds like a warped rotor. Did you put on ceramic brake pads when you changed them? thos create a lot of heat and will tend to warp rotors faster. Drilled or vented rotors will help with this.
Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
MarkoPo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

only way to do it is change calipers buy GOOD Rotors and Pads problem solved.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
only way to do it is change calipers buy GOOD Rotors and Pads problem solved.

Don't buy OEM rotors...... problem will go away for a couple months, then return. Been there... Done that
Unread 08-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
Bzwth
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoPo View Post
Sounds like a warped rotor. Did you put on ceramic brake pads when you changed them? thos create a lot of heat and will tend to warp rotors faster. Drilled or vented rotors will help with this.
I did put ceramic pads on it to reduce the amount of brake dust on the wheels. Where do I go to get a good set of drilled or vented rotors?
Unread 08-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
ezflip

2002 WJ 

PM Kolak on here. He can get you a great deal on Stillen pads and Rotors. For about the same price as the Duracrap you can get from autozone.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Do the caliper swap. I spent $300 on new rotors/pads and they ended up warping a few months later.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

Jeep - Brembo - AutoCarParts.com

Here is a starting point. They are expensive, but top quality from what I know of them.
Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
MarkoPo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got these from http://www.brakeworld.com Performance Brakes - Brake Pads, Brake Rotors and Brake Kits for $135.00 a pair.

Unread 08-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #12
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Stillen or Brembo Take your Pick Both Awesome

Pm Kolak on them

stillen rotor sex
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #13
Bzwth
2008 WK 

Thanks guys! If I do decide to switch over to the new calipers, what is the best/cheapest way to go about getting them?
Unread 08-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
longboy
2006 WK 

Kolak, as mentioned in the thread.
Unread 08-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
TMCXJ
1996 ZJ 

^--- What they all said...

And, I'll go ahead and state the obvious: Over-torqued lug nuts can warp rotors. Period. Get a torque wrench if you don't already have one and torque them anywhere from 80 to 110 ft.lbs., I just always go with 100. "Tight enough" and "as tight as I can get 'em" are NOT acceptable. Same guys that abide by such are usual suspects when their brakes (also suspension and steering to a lesser degree) give 'em fits. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about on this. It's not simply a matter of being "torque anal," as many have suggested; and I realize that you may well be doing everything correctly but this for the sake of other readers. My 2 cents, FWIW.
"...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason." Thomas Paine
TMCXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.