Front brake caliper thread repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front brake caliper thread repair

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 05-22-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Stuart
1998 ZJ 

Front brake caliper thread repair

I stripped out one of the bolt holes for the front brake calipers on my 98 GC, the caliper bolt size is 8mm x 1.25mm but I'm having trouble locating a helicoil kit in that size, anyone have any sugestions?

Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Looked at auto part stores? There is a thread on this EXACT issue on the first page of the forum where a poster broke off the bolt extractor I believe and replaced the calipers for dirt cheap. May be your best option anyways
Unread 05-22-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

I believe he is talking about the caliper mounting bolts. Which bolt into the knuckle..

Ace hardware or a normal hardware seems to carry more of those then the autopart stores for some reason.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

8mm? WJ's run 18mm for those bolts...silly tiny ZJ's
Unread 05-22-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
TJeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
8mm? WJ's run 18mm for those bolts...silly tiny ZJ's
ZJs use sliders built into the knuckle to mount the calipers. The bolts position the calipers on the rotors. Dumb design, but you should know what you are talking about before you make stupid remarks.
Unread 05-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
TJeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart
I stripped out one of the bolt holes for the front brake calipers on my 98 GC, the caliper bolt size is 8mm x 1.25mm but I'm having trouble locating a helicoil kit in that size, anyone have any sugestions?
I'm told NAPA sells the appropriate helicoil. A local Jeeper just made the same mistake. The torque value on that bolt is 11ft/lbs.
Unread 05-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
Stuart
1998 ZJ 

I'll check with napa, I did a dumb thing and stripped it out, didn't use a torque wrench like I should have, and yes, it's 8mm x 1.25mm small caliper mounting bolt that runs through the slider into the knuckle, pretty small bolt, but that is the size, double checked it with a tap and die set, that's how I came up with the 8 x 1.25

I just replaced the front hub bearings and striped it out when I put it back together, found the hub bearings on ebay for $43 each, new in the box, so I did both sides even though it was only the drivers side that was bad, and that axel nut is a real bear to get off, finally got it after breaking two breaker bars and an impact wrench
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.