cwness
1995 ZJ 

Front Axle U Joints tips and tricks and where to buy

Hey guys

Since I got such good advice on my radiator replacement I'm back for more
advice.

Well I've never change the front axle U-joints and they feel like they need
to be replace. Where's a good place to buy them I'm thinking Advanced Auto
since there's one in town and I got such great prices for my radiator there.
What's your recommendations. What should I be looking for it looks like
their are many choices and prices. I have no idea so that's why I'm here.

Thank in advance for any help.

CW

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-03-2015, 09:02 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Spicer is the only way to fly. You should have 760x series joints.

http://www.amazon.com/Spicer-5-760X-...dp/B009X1XDZG/

1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 33's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ 5.9 - Junked
1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #3 of 22 Old 09-03-2015, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
cwness
1995 ZJ 

Thanks kg6mov I saw the Spicer at one of the 4x4 sites but I don't know
what to choose and that's why I asked here.

CW
post #4 of 22 Old 09-03-2015, 11:43 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Agree on the Spicer axle u-joints kg posted a link to.

Since you're going to have to remove the front hub bearing assemblies to pull the axles you should check your other front end parts to see which ones need replaced. Best to get under your ZJ and have someone else turn steering wheel back/forth to see what's loose/sloppy.

Below is a post where I listed the front end parts to use with links along with how to check your ball-joints.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/f.../#post31292801

I realize we're getting into some money if replacing all these parts and your front hub assemblies very well might still be good. But if you're seeing slop in your tie-round ends and pitman arm connection it may be worth going for the Crown HD steering kit Kg turned me onto.

Look for youtube videos and write-ups on replacing the axle ujoints and ball joints if need be.

While many use a press for installing the ujoints I used the old skool method of using a vice, sockets and hammer.

It may be a good idea to see if any of the parts stores around you have loaner tools cheap or at no cost.

Note: the front axle hub nuts are 36mm and torqued to 175 ft lbs. I had to use a long 1/2" breaker bar with pipe on the end to break them loose and leave the tires on the ground. Also had to buy the 36mm 6pt socket unless you can borrow one.

The 3 hub assembly bolts take a 13mm 12pt socket and are torqued to 80 ft lbs. I had to heat the thread area to get them out. But you may not have as many problems as I did since I'm in the heart of the salt/rust belt. Good luck CW!
post #5 of 22 Old 09-04-2015, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
cwness
1995 ZJ 

Hey Uni

Thanks for the link. I put new tires on and that's where I found out the u-joints needed to be replaced. They were
doing a alignment. Will I have to have it aligned again after replacing the u-joints?

I'll check all the parts since It's apart.

CW
post #6 of 22 Old 09-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

YW CW, and no you don't have to get it aligned again if you're just replacing the axle u-joints, or even the ball joints if you'd end up replacing them.

I found it easier to get at those 3 long bolts on the front hub assembly if you pop the lower tie rod end off of the knuckles. That way you can turn the knuckle completely until it hits the stops. Again, no need for another alignment and only if go to replacing all the other steering parts like in the Crown HD kit.

Good luck and it's always nice to have new tires with an alignment!
post #7 of 22 Old 09-04-2015, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
cwness
1995 ZJ 

Thanks Uni

Ya had a blow out when I was out hunting. Can't complain I got 50,000
out of the tires. Then when changing the tire my dog some how knocked
the control out of the Jeep and I didn't notice till I was 20 miles away. Went
back and found it laying on the road.

I went looking all over for tire's and I'm out at Walmart last week and I see
Goodyear Wranglers 235x75x15 selling for 74.50 and only 12 bucks each to
put on. Total for 4 tires $350. I guess I can afford some new parts to keep
it in top shape.

Thanks again Uni.

CW
post #8 of 22 Old 09-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Sounds like fun CW with a flat and your dog carrying on! Lol.

I used to run those Goodyear Wrangler tires but a little soft for all the road travel and seemed to wear too quick. But for the price you paid for them sounds like a real good deal!

My garage doubles as a basement under the house and have so much stuff in it I can't park any of our Jeeps in it. So I erected one of those large canopies right in front of the garage door I don't use for my wife to park her TJ under in the winter. I installed 2" styrofoam on the outside of the thin garage door and painted it the same color as the door. Was in the living room and heard a big thump as my wife came home parking her TJ under the canopy.

Went out to see what the heck happened. My wife's TJ had her spare on the tire carrier on the tailgate. There on the styrofoam was the perfect imprint of the spare with 'Goodyear Wrangler' imprinted on the foam! Lol. Duh, there's only about 8 extra feet to park her short TJ under!

Appreciate the thanks and good luck CW!

PS. long thread below but here's the Crown HD steering kit compared to OE. I spent another $10 to install poly boots instead of the cheap ones it came with. Lots of other good info in that thread if you have time to read through it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...l#post25528441
post #9 of 22 Old 09-04-2015, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
cwness
1995 ZJ 

Just read my post the control was for her hunting collar. I suspect she saw her chance and took it. It was $275 control and was I was happy I went back to look and it wasn't run over.

CW
post #10 of 22 Old 09-04-2015, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
cwness
1995 ZJ 

double post

CW
post #11 of 22 Old 09-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I'm glad you explained that CW and I almost asked. I thought maybe you had a HDTV mounted to the dash and your dog took off with the remote control!
post #12 of 22 Old 09-05-2015, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
cwness
1995 ZJ 

Again thanks Uni

After popping the lower tie rod end at the knuckle and a little heat on the 3
bolts they came right off. Again another reason being a member here
pays off. Just waiting for the joints. They didn't have them in stock
at the local Advanced so I talked to the guys and they order the Spicers
and when they showed up as in stock and I'll ordered on line and go the 20% off.

6 Weeks old for Shawnee

Her trainer and my other buddy Apache

CW
post #13 of 22 Old 09-06-2015, 01:38 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Real good looking dogs CW! Figured you were hunting pheasants and I have friends here who I worked with at the parks for years who travel clear out to SD for bird hunting!

When I was a kid my dad traded a couple good shotguns for a trained German shorthair we named Duchess which looked a lot like yours. Too bad he never took her hunting and she ended up eating out of the alley trash cans turning into a whale. Lol, but not really funny.

Glad you were able to get the hub bearing off! Probably a little bit easier than here in the hub (pun) of the rust/salt belt.

Don't forget that list of Advance discount codes like you used for your radiator purchase. I'll post it again below.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/adva....com?c=6720613

You've got to play the game with Advance since they charge more since many are going to use a discount code.

I looked up the online price of those Spicer 5-760X axle u-joints and they want $29/each x 2 = $58. Use the TRT30 discount code for 30% off $50 which will save you $17.40 instead of the $11.60 off in using the typical 20% off code. Hey, 6 bucks more savings is 6 bucks! Good luck.

PS. Started thinking about it and that remote control could have been for your drone you use to spot birds with. Pretty soon you'll be able to shoot and retrieve them with a drone too!
post #14 of 22 Old 09-07-2015, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
cwness
1995 ZJ 

That pic was from last year during the pheasant season. It's early Canada goose and Dove hunting right now. Going out this evening for doves. The Short-hair will be the death of me. Most high energy dog I've ever had. She
loves to eat. She is so birdy she point at birds on the power lines. She has Shawnee pointing to. Makes hunting
so much easier. They both point and you just walk up and it's a nice close shot. Apache has a neoprene suit for waterfowl hunting she's swimming fool just has to short a coat for cold water. Our pheasant hunting is great but the waterfowl here is unbelievable.

I've been thinking of putting a positrac rear end in. Should I just go to the junk yard and get a Jeep Traclok or is
the Dana the way to go?

CW
post #15 of 22 Old 09-07-2015, 12:32 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I should have known it was dove season and just came in here too. Buddy of mine posted a photo of him dove hunting with camo shirt, camo shorts, and legs white as a sheet while hunting in the 90 degree heat! Lol.

Upgrading axles or installing a locker in your D35 are not my forte. I tried doing a search but any thread I found here was old with links which go nowhere. Do a search or someone else may chime in.

Typically the Dana 35 is going to have either stock 3.55 w/o tow or pre-tow package and 3.73 with the tow/pre-tow. Unless someone has removed it there should be a metal tag between 2 bolts on the rear differential cover saying which one it is.

I noticed you don't have a lot of info filled out in your profile with '?' on gearing. Fill out the below Jeep form and in the subject box type in "Request for build sheet". Within 2-3 days they should email you your build sheet on what exactly came on it from the factory. Good luck.

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/j...ull&category=U

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.