front axle flex question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > front axle flex question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

front axle flex question

I'm getting my bone stock 98,5.2 ready for the blessing of the Jeeps jamboree. One of the tasks at hand is making quick disco front links. My question is will the added flex from not having the links in cause my front brake lines to extend to far? Or is there enough lenght in them to accommodate the extra travel. Yes I'm aware that I can fully flex it out in the garage to make sure. I'm just looking at saving some time by hearing if anyone else has done this. If it's a no go I won't waste the time and focus on other things. Thanks.

ZJfamilyfun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 11:42 PM   #2
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

You should be fine, I flexed my stock ZJ out plenty of times without the sway bars.
Unread 03-31-2014, 12:46 AM   #3
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

Thank you. That's all I needed to hear. Now when we get everything going I will take the time to flex in the garage, both sides full steering lock left and right. Just to make sure.
Unread 03-31-2014, 12:48 AM   #4
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

I'd hammer the pinch weld back in the front fender wells too, just incase. Hate to see a popped tire.
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post
I'd hammer the pinch weld back in the front fender wells too, just incase. Hate to see a popped tire.
Good thinking. Thanks, I would hate that also being my grabber at2 only have 3.5k on them.
Unread 03-31-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
D-rey
1998 ZJ 

I was running stock brake lines with a 6" lift for a few months. Successfully made it through 2 wheeling trips. It's sketchy, but it worked.
D-rey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 02:33 PM   #7
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-rey View Post
I was running stock brake lines with a 6" lift for a few months. Successfully made it through 2 wheeling trips. It's sketchy, but it worked.
You must not have had any flex for some reason then. I would definitely NOT recommend anyone to use stock brakelines even on a 3"-4" short arm lift.

My stock front brakelines were almost stretched tight at only 1.75" BB and flex-joint LCAs and UCAs at full flex and steering close to lock. It worked though, but there really wasn't much slack left. I really don't see how the stock brakelines would be ok at 6" of lift.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
D-rey
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
You must not have had any flex for some reason then. I would definitely NOT recommend anyone to use stock brakelines even on a 3"-4" short arm lift.
I really don't see how the stock brakelines would be ok at 6" of lift.
I agree. I wouldn't recommend it either. Who knows... maybe the PO put on longer rubber lines.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7tbzusyib...2010.19.07.jpg

Axle fully hanging. Brake lines were tight.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dnonsuotat...2010.46.52.jpg
D-rey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You can get a bit more slack in the brake lines if the bracket is left unbolted.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 03:28 PM   #10
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

Dey r was that stock? The pics.
Unread 03-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Note that disconnecting the sway bar does not create additional suspension travel. Connected or not your maximum extension is limited by your shocks.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

If you get new lines use 1/2 ton GM lines. They are longer and dirt cheap My build has pics of the comparison

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #13
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

Well then my fronts have shorter shocks then the rear. Because I get great stock flex from the rear with that tiny sway bar. Compared to the front with that big ol sway bar. Seems kinda funny jeep would put different travel shocks on it. And yes all four are same brand and model. So why is it then that everyone else has discos. Didn't anyone give them this info when they went to buy them? Or are they one of those non functional parts that just look cool and jeep decided to put them on from the factory so they could charge more?
Unread 03-31-2014, 05:04 PM   #14
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

The sway bar itself is there to prevent body roll, I.e. suspension flex. That's why it's bigger in the front then the rear due to all the weight from the engine. True you can only flex up to the shocks maximum length but the sway bar connected will prevent that because that's it's job. So yes removing the end links will make it easier to obtain full flex/travel there for allowing the tires to stay on the ground a lot easier for traction purposes especially when you are not locked. But thanks for your knowledge.
Unread 03-31-2014, 08:12 PM   #15
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

It will still flex to the maximum extension with the sway bar connected. Just not as easily and, most importantly, there will be less normal force (i.e. traction) at the tire that is extending.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.