Front axle/diff? noise, PLEASE HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front axle/diff? noise, PLEASE HELP!

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 03-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
SchwennysJeep
1994 ZJ 

Front axle/diff? noise, PLEASE HELP!

My 1994 5.2L 4x4 ZJ with a D30 front axle makes this annoying clunking while accelerating and braking only. The noise will stop completely when letting off the accelerator and coast. The clunking speeds up and gets louder the faster I drive.
I replaced the front drive shaft Ujoints that were questionable thinking thats what was causing the clunking no luck there.

Could somebody please help, I'm not sure what to check or try next.

SchwennysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwennysJeep View Post
My 1994 5.2L 4x4 ZJ with a D30 front axle makes this annoying clunking while accelerating and braking only. The noise will stop completely when letting off the accelerator and coast. The clunking speeds up and gets louder the faster I drive.
I replaced the front drive shaft Ujoints that were questionable thinking thats what was causing the clunking no luck there.

Could somebody please help, I'm not sure what to check or try next.
As far as the accelerating, I'd suspect the double cardan joint in the front shaft. Even if you replaced the u-joints, the ball and socket could be bad.
Unread 03-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
SchwennysJeep
1994 ZJ 

I was thinking maybe a bad bearing in the front diff, but I really dont know.
SchwennysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.