Friend needs help on which GC to buy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Friend needs help on which GC to buy

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsEngo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 Lum

Unread 07-29-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
MFairbourn

Friend needs help on which GC to buy

He is looking at 2 differnt 1998 limited Grand Cherokees. One has 79k with a 5.9L v8. With the quadra-trac transfer case. Leather loaded the works. The person is asking 11k for this one.

The other is also a limited, with 69k on the 5.2L V8, with the same transfer case. This guy is asking 11.9k.

What is your opinion the 5.9 and the 5.2? They are both in very good condition. Also what do you guys think about the all wheel drive stuff?

MFairbourn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2003, 04:48 PM   #2
KillerZJ

Since the 5.9 is a lower price I would definately jump on that one. I like those better because, of course the power, and how the grille sticks out a bit, and the hood vents. The all wheel drive isnt a problem, but if the VC is bad on those (if you do a U-turn and it binds up really bad, you will need a new TC but I'm willing to bet it will be fine but who am I to know). No doubt, the 5.2 is a great motor and has been around a long time. Even w/ 10 more thousand miles on it, I would go w/ the 5.9 because IMO, they are nicer.

Wow no pictures in sig? F*cking gay.[/FONT]
KillerZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2003, 10:14 PM   #3
RockPaws

Another consideration, The 5.2L can pull more than the 5.9.. rated pulling load. I've had 2 JGC 4.0L and 5.2L. The 5.2 was great pulling all my stuff. Just keep up with the preventive maintenance. Also run the 85w-140 synthetic gear oil in the rear regardless is you tow or not.
Frank
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2003, 10:38 PM   #4
Jas

I am going to have to agree with Kille ron this one. Even though my opinion is biased as i have the 5.9 i love it. ITs a great car and has alot of power. And its Grille is really tight.

Jas
- 12" Infinity Subs
- AudioBahn Chrome Plated Flame Grille
- Pioneer Premier Deck
- Infinity Speakers
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2003, 11:45 AM   #5
OmegaZab

all i have to say is if u have problems with either of the vc's they arent cheap to fix. cuz i have done it many times......twice actually. kinda sucked. i would just go for which ever one u like the best because well they are sweet engines.....

*cough* 5.9 *cough* ....... thats my opinion tho......
OmegaZab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.