freeze plugs 5.2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > freeze plugs 5.2

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
wightkliff
1997 ZJ 

freeze plugs 5.2

A freee plug or two is leaking on my 318, just noticed before a trip out of town for work and want to repair when I get home.

How many is there? Its a 97 limited.

If only one is bad, can I replace with block heater, and where would I find out which way to "time" the heating prong in the block for clearance. Dont know which one, but trying to prepare to replace pooched p/s pump and pulley, and freeze plug in a few weeks..

Any new inventions or ideas for a fix? I hear the rubber ones are bad news, but the heater design with the oring and block nut seems to work great, anyone make one like that without the heater prong on it?

Thanks for any help

wightkliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

There are 6 freeze plugs on the side of the block and maybe a few more in the front/back

The engine block heater points strait up between the cylinders if you go that rout. I think they also make kits to put in new plugs but I have never done this.

I would not plug all the freeze plugs or more than 1 or 2. It is cheaper to fix/replace a freeze plug than an engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.