JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Freeze Plugs (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/freeze-plugs-1152014/)

jrb94zj 01-11-2011 03:06 AM

Freeze Plugs

Driving home from work Friday morning a heard a "pop" and looked in my mirror to see a huge cloud of steam behind me. I pulled over and discovered coolant poring from the block directly onto to exhaust. After some further inspection I figured out I had blown a freeze plug. It was around 10 degrees that morning, but the plug didn't fail until about 10 minutes into my drive, so I assume the block wasn't frozen and the plug just failed from age/ corrosion. My question is when I order the replacement, should I replace them all, or just the one for now. Is there anything special I need to do when refilling the coolant to bleed the system of air?

ratmonkey 01-11-2011 03:20 AM

Just buy one of the rubber replacement plugs. And hope the block is ok.

jrb94zj 01-11-2011 03:46 AM

I looked at those. The largest went to 50 mm, but the size of the plugs were 51 mm. Not sure how much difference a mm really makes though. I guess I can try it and I'm only out 3 bucks if it won't work.

EjTj 01-11-2011 08:17 AM

At least it wasn't the one in the bellhousing!
Id use brass replacements (assuming the originals are steel). But like the other guy said, a rubber one might work real well too, at least till the weather gets warmer.

When I replaced a plug on my TJ (and it was in the bellhousing!) I didn't do anything special to bleed the system.

k9cop 01-20-2011 04:02 PM

I'm on my second rubber plug. I use the 2" plug, but just can't seem to get it to seat in the hole all the way. This past time i put just a little grease on the rubber part of the plug and it fit fairly decent, but still not flush. We'll see how long it lasts. Its better than pulling the engine.;)

Hays_1204 12-14-2011 01:37 PM

Easiest way to replace freeze plug!

Ok so you have a freeze plug issue (provided its the first freeze plug behind header)
remove serpentine belt, power steering pump, an bracket. It will be alot easier to get to instead of removing manifold and headers. Using a prybar or LARGE screwdriver, hit the freeze plug and knock it loose. Take a pair of pliers or channel locks and remove plug. Discard and replace the plug. Either a regular plug or the expandable plug will work. Depending on the plug it will either be a 1" or 2" plug. Put all the brackets and powersteering pump back on and get back on the road. It took a total of about 15 minutes to do the job provided you have all the parts to do the job with you. It is a pretty simple job even a beginner can do.

Hays_1204 12-14-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrb94zj (Post 10765730)
Driving home from work Friday morning a heard a "pop" and looked in my mirror to see a huge cloud of steam behind me. I pulled over and discovered coolant poring from the block directly onto to exhaust. After some further inspection I figured out I had blown a freeze plug. It was around 10 degrees that morning, but the plug didn't fail until about 10 minutes into my drive, so I assume the block wasn't frozen and the plug just failed from age/ corrosion. My question is when I order the replacement, should I replace them all, or just the one for now. Is there anything special I need to do when refilling the coolant to bleed the system of air?

Just have the jeep started and slowly pout the coolant in as you rev the engine. Putting your finger inside the radiator cap opening will help push the air out while waiting for the theromostat to kick open.

The time now is 08:31 PM.