Freaking Pitman Arm! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Freaking Pitman Arm!

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 11-26-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Freaking Pitman Arm!

So, I got my new steering box today... Upon getting under truck I realized I needed a BF socket. Closest I had was 1 1/8, so I went and got a 33mm, no big deal. Got that off, and soaked the pitman arm in PB blaster, let it sit and pounded on the gear box shaft to remove the pitman arm... No way, so I started hammering on every angle possible with the BFH, didn't budge... Heated it up till it was red hot... Nothing. F!@#. Im off to get the puller from AZ.

Anyone know if I have to remove the steering stabilizer to allow the drag link to drop enough? I don't want to remove the drag link from the pitman arm...

Unread 11-27-2008, 12:20 AM   #2
Upside
2002 WJ 

No I didn't remove the steering stabilizer. The puller was definitely necessary to get the arm off of my steering box.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
srad711
2003 WJ 

I just did one a month agao on a friends jeep. I had to cut it off after breaking two pullers and heating it to no end. I have taken off about 10-15 of them and 3 needed to be cut off.
srad711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
psychoworks
1993 ZJ 

A friend of mine just did a drop pitman arm on his YJ. Had to burn it off with the fire wrench.
Unread 11-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Puller , air impact gun , and a hammer to tap it as you apply more pressue , always worked for me
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #6
shadetree

When I originally did my lift I was trying to remove the drag link from the pitman arm (for ease of installation)=I was new to lifting a grand. Anyway I destroyed a pitman arm puller and luckly I didn't have to pay for it because the shop foreman was there and agreed that I did nothing wrong.

Peace of mind....sometimes they need to be torched off!

-1994 ZJ Lifted and Locked...
-1983 CJ7 4.2ltr/Dana 300/Warn F&R bumpers...and some other goodies.

D.W.A. (Death Wobble Anonymous)
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
sensera7791

I just did my box last week. I took the draglink off and dropped the old box out with the pitman arm still on. Put it on the workbench vice so I could work on it easier. Well, bought the AZ puller, put my breaker bar on it, did as much pulling as I could. Went for the 3 foot piece of pipe I keep around for leverage. freakin breaker bar shatters! flew all over the place. Pitman arm 1 me 0. So i figured I could just tap the end of the puller and it should pop off. nope. tap harder and harder with 5lb sledge. head breaks off. pitman arm 2 me 0. So now I get really P-edd off. I get a bigger hammer and start beating the the side of the puller arm, downward, all the sudden the puller shoots across my 2 car garage, pitman arm flys over and hits my headlight and breaks it. WTF. pitman arm 3 me 0. but I did get the dam thing off. And this WAS after soaking in PB blaster.
sensera7791 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2008, 04:15 AM   #8
Colorado 5.9
1998 ZJ 

1: Install puller on pitman arm. ( Steering box side)

2: Tighten pitman arm puller until very tight.

3: With small sledge hammer. Pound pitman arm puller bolt on the end a few times.

4: Retighten bolt.

5:Pound bolt again a few times.

6: Repete steps 5 & 6 untill pitman arm comes off.
ZJ 98 5.9 LTD. Lots of mods. 7" T&T's Long Arm Lift ,BFG KM2"s,35X12.50x16's,4:56's, Vanco brake upgrade, M1intake,Holley52mmTB,MikeLeach Headers,, Arb'ed HP D30,Aussie Locked rear,Procomp MX6 Shocks,Arb front,RearTR bumpers,ECT.ECT.

Latest Pics
Colorado 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2008, 04:16 AM   #9
Colorado 5.9
1998 ZJ 

deleted......
ZJ 98 5.9 LTD. Lots of mods. 7" T&T's Long Arm Lift ,BFG KM2"s,35X12.50x16's,4:56's, Vanco brake upgrade, M1intake,Holley52mmTB,MikeLeach Headers,, Arb'ed HP D30,Aussie Locked rear,Procomp MX6 Shocks,Arb front,RearTR bumpers,ECT.ECT.

Latest Pics
Colorado 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.