fram oil filter vs mopar oil filter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > fram oil filter vs mopar oil filter

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-02-2009, 04:18 AM   #1
wj03grandy
2003 WJ 

fram oil filter vs mopar oil filter

ive seen lots of guys in here bash fram oil filters. is there a difference between the fram and mopar oil filter?

wj03grandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

I can't really comment on the mopar filter, but I have used Fram's in all of my vehicle at some point in time or another. I did have a problem with one, when a pin hole developed in a filter on my grand am. I use purolator the majority of the time now, because that is what Advance Auto always has going with their oil/filter deal.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
1941Galant
1998 ZJ 

From what I have read, the filter element in the Fram filters is too thick, and doesn't allow oil to pass through the filter element, and everything just goes through the by-pass valve. My ZJ was ticking like crazy the other week (lifters), I popped the hood, spun the Fram filter off, installed a Napa Gold (made my wix I believe), and the lifter tick went away. Some of the 4G63 guys (Turbo AWD Mitsubishi) have actually had the Fram filters come apart and destroy their engines. Not to mention Fram also uses cardboard as a part in the filter, which I think is the by-pass valve, but not 100% sure.
1941Galant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you really want details, Google will answer the question. If you prefer just to chose correctly... Wix usually is the supplier for NAPA Gold, and is a reasonable low cost choice. I personally prefer K&N or Mobil One filters. Synthetic media, silicone valves, and good case construction are good features. Mopar changes suppliers too often to be a reliable choice, but tend to be better than some cheap Autopart brands.

I don't use Fram; one unscrewed from the base, costing me a motor once.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #5
hansh
1966 CJ5 

I use Wix (aka NAPA Gold), AMSOIL and Donaldson filters. Fram is not on my recommended list.
1993 Diesel ZJ
www.syntheticwerks.com
hansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I was at Walmart the other day getting some Mobil 1 synthetic oil, although I usually have to go to AutoZone for a Mobil 1 filter. When checking out Walmartís filters, which were mostly Fram, I also found a few Mopar filters. After opening up the boxes in order to compare the Fram and Mopar for my WJ, the visual appearances of the internals made it obvious to me that the Mopar was a much higher quality. Although I donít know exactly what I was seeing, it seemed that the Fram had very little internal structure compared to the Mopar. There was simply more to the insides of the Mopar, and it reminded me of a Mobil 1. I bought the Mopar filter and didnít worry about going out of my way to get a Mobil 1.

If possible, try to may the comparison that I did, and you will probably may the same decision that I did.
Unread 07-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

I was at walmart also and bought the Mopar filter, time will tell. I've never used them before.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

wix/napa gold

i try to do as little shopping as possible at chinamart and vatozone.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Paging Gabe...

The WIX/Napa Gold filters are an excellent, reasonably priced choice. Mobil 1 or Amsoil filters are the best way to go. K&N is good as well, but the leaf spring instead of coil is a potential drawback. That said, I just changed my oil about 20 minutes ago with a K&N filter, so we'll see how that goes.

What I'd like to know is how the Purolator PureOne filters are.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
Cherokeekid88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

All I use is Mopar filters. I like em. No complaints here.
Bilstein 5100's - Magnaflow Exhaust.
Cherokeekid88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
Paging Gabe...

The WIX/Napa Gold filters are an excellent, reasonably priced choice. Mobil 1 or Amsoil filters are the best way to go. K&N is good as well, but the leaf spring instead of coil is a potential drawback. That said, I just changed my oil about 20 minutes ago with a K&N filter, so we'll see how that goes.

What I'd like to know is how the Purolator PureOne filters are.
PAGING RIDIN' AROUND BEEP BEEP BEEP!

I like'd the K&N one But amsoil seem to have the most filter media in it.

My g/f's Neon can use all the filters that my jeep use's? that's funny. now her car holds like 1/2 qt more cause the filter lol. normal neon filters were like size of thoose tiny popcans that came in a 6 pack.

Cough Fram Blows Monkey nuts dont ever use them on a vehicle again.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #12
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Mopar is what's used a the dealership. If that's what they use to try to avoid warranty issues, it's good enough for me.

Just for ****s and giggles I asked a buddy of mine with an old Fram to let me have it at his oil change. I cut both apart (Fram and Mopar) and the mopar had more of a metallic structure, whereas the Fram was just flimsy filter material.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

read through these findings and examine the pics and afterwards you'll never buy another FRAM product again

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil.../opinions.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #14
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I use the Mobile 1 filter with their Mobile 1 High Mileage 10w30 and haven't had any problems. I think I might go for the Purolator next time though. It looks pretty good.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #15
crashcraddock
2000 WJ 

I just noticed the weight between the Mopar and fram, it's alot. So I thought that alone tells me they use more of something. Not to mention the dealer would recommend it.
crashcraddock is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.