found piece of trac lok clutch retaining clip in my diff... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > found piece of trac lok clutch retaining clip in my diff...

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-27-2013, 05:18 AM   #1
nomercy346
1996 ZJ 

found piece of trac lok clutch retaining clip in my diff...

Hey, changed the fluid in my rear diff yesterday. When all the oil drained had drained there was a small piece of metal on the bottom of the diff. Turns out it's part of one of the retaining clips of the clutch pack.

Spider gears as well as ring an pinion looked fine as far as I could see, though. Fluid didn't have visible metal flakes in it, but sloshing it around there was some gold/metallic effect which I assume is coming from the limited slip additive?

Guess what I need is the trac lok rebuild kit. anyting else? Would you swap the rest of the axle bearings at the same time or just rebuild the trac lok? (I'll have a shop do this, don't really want to mess with all this)

Not sure how long this thing has been in there... But I better get this done ASAP/keep driving to a minimum, right? Or can I keep driving it occasionally?

Unread 07-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
nomercy346
1996 ZJ 

anyone?
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You can pull the carrier and have the shop rebuild it and save quite a bit. If the oil was clean, the bearings should be fine, but if you have concerns, have them swapped out, too.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

I'm no expert, but from the wear pattern on the ring gear, you might want to check the play in the pinion shims/bearings too...looks like its getting a little deep...But it could just be the pics too...
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Same thing happened to mine. I would go ahead and have the carrier bearings replaced while it's all apart as a preventative.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
nomercy346
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Same thing happened to mine. I would go ahead and have the carrier bearings replaced while it's all apart as a preventative
Did your rear end have any other damage to it? gears/bearings? Doing at least the carrier bearings and maybe wheel bearings as well seems reasonable.
Quote:
I'm no expert, but from the wear pattern on the ring gear, you might want to check the play in the pinion shims/bearings too...looks like its getting a little deep...But it could just be the pics too...
I believe it's the pic that's making the wear pattern look strange as I had sprayed it all with brake cleaner. Some areas had already dried off while some were still oily and reflective. In person it looked fine to me.

What about all the setup work for the gears?
As long as you leave the pinion bearing alone, there is no need for all the tricky setup work afterwards, right? (provided you're reusing the shims) Or do you already have to do it when you change the carrier bearings... and what about the wheel bearings?
I know a shop is going to do it but I never really trust other people to work on my vehicles, that's why I hate when something fails where the repair process is not going to be plug and play and it's too hard for me to tackle it myself. This is the reason why I'd rather have them not touch the pinion bearing or avoid the gear set up, you know...
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

One of my carrier bearings was pitted and making noise so I had them done at the same time the LS was rebuilt. I did the wheel bearings prior to that. There was no damage to the teeth. I did JB weld a large magnet inside the diff cover to pick up any future particles.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomercy346 View Post
What about all the setup work for the gears?
As long as you leave the pinion bearing alone, there is no need for all the tricky setup work afterwards, right? (provided you're reusing the shims) Or do you already have to do it when you change the carrier bearings... and what about the wheel bearings?
I know a shop is going to do it but I never really trust other people to work on my vehicles, that's why I hate when something fails where the repair process is not going to be plug and play and it's too hard for me to tackle it myself. This is the reason why I'd rather have them not touch the pinion bearing or avoid the gear set up, you know...
if you put in new bearings, you need to re-set the carrier. if you simply unbolt the carrier and rebuild the LSD, you can reuse your old shims. just remember where they go.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.