Forgive me father, I have sinned - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Forgive me father, I have sinned

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #16
tcar
2000 WJ 

Fuel filter???... after sitting like that.

The gas was probably crap too.

95 Limited V8
tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #17
sparkieCHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar View Post
Fuel filter???... after sitting like that.

The gas was probably crap too.
Yeah the gas was bad after 2 years but the tank was flushed, cleaned and a new filter was installed with the new pump. I have 33 psi at the rail with the fpr plugged in, around 42 with it unplugged. I think I'm getting all the fuel I need, starting to run out of ideas
sparkieCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 06:16 AM   #18
jnowak
1993 ZJ 

The only thing I can suggest on the tc is get it up to highway speed, I think it's 50 mph when it is suppose to lock, tap the brakes and see if your rpms jump. They should raise about 250 rpms. That would tell you if it is going in and out of lock up. There is a couple write up/ forms on here about tc. But I haven't seen one that goes Into the wiring.
jnowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #19
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Did you unplug the upstream O2 sensor?
RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #20
sparkieCHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldGold View Post
Did you unplug the upstream O2 sensor?
Its a 93. Obd 1 has only one upstream, no down stream. And yes I did try disconnecting the o2
Unread 03-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #21
sparkieCHB

Well the jeep is running like hammered dog s***, its got me so frustrated I'm ready to part it out. It has developed a new problem of backfiring through the tb. While idling if I stab the gas it either stutters and stumbles up to rpm (takes a few seconds) or it falls flat on its face and makes a ticking/knocking noise like it is running out of gas, then dies but not before a giant backfire through the tb followed by a good bit of white smoke like it is over-fueling. Then it has a hard start issue that sounds like the starter or solenoid s*** the bed, almost like it is vapor locked or the timing is heavily advanced and its suffering from timing fight. Another thing I find strange is I can get the thing to run a lot better by unplugging the map and playing with the throttle, the map tested good but I was running out of options so in replaced it, no go.

Any help is appreciated, if I can't get it fixed soon its getting parted
Unread 03-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #22
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

all the sensors on the 93 ground on the block somewhere. have you checked the sensor grounds with a meter? the ground wire for each sensor will be the same on all fuel control/timing sensors ... tps, map, coolant (i think), crank and cam. check all of them for voltage while you are there.

something else to check, the only time mine has ever backfired thru the TB is when the fuel pump relay was bad. dont look at me like i'm crazy, i cant explain it...

for giggles and grins, check firing order on plug wires.
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #23
bobinAZ
1993 ZJ 

I see you unplugged the 02 sensor. Did the jeep run worse? It should. I just replaced my 02 sensor on my 93. I never got a code, and after the jeep ran like I had 2 extra cylinders. I got mine from Autozone for $55.00 I got the NGK
Unread 03-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #24
sparkieCHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
all the sensors on the 93 ground on the block somewhere. have you checked the sensor grounds with a meter? the ground wire for each sensor will be the same on all fuel control/timing sensors ... tps, map, coolant (i think), crank and cam. check all of them for voltage while you are there.

something else to check, the only time mine has ever backfired thru the TB is when the fuel pump relay was bad. dont look at me like i'm crazy, i cant explain it...

for giggles and grins, check firing order on plug wires.
Thanks for the quick reply zee. I'm pretty good with a meter (I do high voltage electrical) and I have verified a good ground to the PCM as well as the chassis grounds and have a good connection at all of them. MAP is new, TPS is new, I have tested everything I possibly can, cap, rotor, plugs, and wires are also new. The backfire is strange and I can get it to run better by unplugging the MAP and plugging off its vacuum port, but only at idle and only for about a minute. It is the weirdest problem I have ever come across on a jeep.

Double checked firing order and the condition of the cap and rotor, can't figure it out. Runs great going down the road, just at idle and close to a stop is when it runs like hell.
Unread 03-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #25
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkieCHB View Post
I have verified a good ground to the PCM as well as the chassis grounds and have a good connection at all of them.
That's step in the right direction, but we need to know that ground is making it to the sensors. They have a common ground somewhere on the engine and I cant tell you where it is because I've only seen it on a diagram.
Unread 03-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #26
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

"210,XXX, bone stock, sat for 2 years before I got it. I bought it for 400$"

There's you're problem right there. You bought a POS!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
MN59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #27
sparkieCHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN59ZJ View Post
"210,XXX, bone stock, sat for 2 years before I got it. I bought it for 400$"

There's you're problem right there. You bought a POS!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Hahahahah! I know I know, but actually I am only the second owner, the po is a little old lady who drove it until her son didn't want her driving so he parked it, 2 years later I bought it. Never been monkey f***ed just a slight lack of maintenance and some cob webs.

It just has this problem I can't get it to shake
Unread 03-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #28
sparkieCHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
That's step in the right direction, but we need to know that ground is making it to the sensors. They have a common ground somewhere on the engine and I cant tell you where it is because I've only seen it on a diagram.
Like I said I'm an electrician, I'm pretty good with circuitry and how to use a multi meter, I have verified a good ground at all sensors themselves as well as the grounding harness, (grounds on the coil mounting bracket, dipstick tube etc).

The grounds are good
Unread 03-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #29
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkieCHB View Post
Like I said I'm an electrician, I'm pretty good with circuitry and how to use a multi meter, I have verified a good ground at all sensors themselves as well as the grounding harness, (grounds on the coil mounting bracket, dipstick tube etc).

The grounds are good
Okay good, you didnt say you had verified the sensor grounds, just the chassis grounds.

Have you pulled the connector off the PCM and check for pushed back sockets?
Unread 03-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #30
sparkieCHB

PCM connector looks good, harness running to it is wrapped in original loom and all wires look good, It seems electrical which is why its got me pissed, I just can't figure it out

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.