Ford Taurus Two Speed E-Fan Install (pics) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ford Taurus Two Speed E-Fan Install (pics)

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-02-2009, 01:12 AM   #91
TINTINUAE
1998 ZJ 

Ok, well my fan isn't connected to the serp belt at all. It does however, have a cable running to what looks like the relay box? This is an Australian Vehicle imported though, I think they may have different specs over there? Or they just had it changed when they got here? I will try and post a pic so I can show you properly what I mean.

TINTINUAE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #92
SoCalDevyn
1998 ZJ 

sorry to bring back an old thread and sorry if what im looking for was already covered and i missed it but i got my fan and the relays, now i just have to pic up some wire so i can do this mod over the week.

i already have how im doing the wiring all drawn out, i jus have a few questions and some things to verify.

1. is the fan supposed to be blowing away or towards the motor?

2. what wire is for what on the fan itself? obviously black is ground but what one is low and high?

want to verify this:

-wire from battery to relay and relay to fan for low i will run 10 gauge
-wire from battery to relay and relay to fan for high i will run 8 gauge
-30 amp relay run an inline 30 amp fuse
-75 amp relay run an inline 60 amp fuse
-wire from switch to relay i will run prob 12-14 gauge or bigger?

thanks guys
98 ZJ Limited 5.2, Blacked Out, 6.5" IRO Long Arm, 15x8 Pro Comp 97's, 35" MTZ's, Custom Front Bumper, Rusty's Disco's, KOR Light Bar, 8000K HID's, Magnaflow, CB, 5% Tint, System, TJ Gas Bezel, JKS Rear Trac Bar, Rusty's Front Trac Bar, KOR Stabilizer, Cold Air Intake, E-Fan, RCX Diff Guard, Clayton Brake Lines, MSD Ignition, Gen Right Louvers, Custom Sliders, IRO Belly Skid, Rigid Lights
SoCalDevyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 07:42 AM   #93
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

1. towards motor
2. the thicker wire is high

I'd go with a 50 amp fuse instead of 60
16 gauge for relay coil wiring, even 18 is fine. a relay coil only dissipates .6 watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDevyn View Post
sorry to bring back an old thread and sorry if what im looking for was already covered and i missed it but i got my fan and the relays, now i just have to pic up some wire so i can do this mod over the week.

i already have how im doing the wiring all drawn out, i jus have a few questions and some things to verify.

1. is the fan supposed to be blowing away or towards the motor?

2. what wire is for what on the fan itself? obviously black is ground but what one is low and high?

want to verify this:

-wire from battery to relay and relay to fan for low i will run 10 gauge
-wire from battery to relay and relay to fan for high i will run 8 gauge
-30 amp relay run an inline 30 amp fuse
-75 amp relay run an inline 60 amp fuse
-wire from switch to relay i will run prob 12-14 gauge or bigger?

thanks guys
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #94
SoCalDevyn
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.nein View Post
1. towards motor
2. the thicker wire is high

I'd go with a 50 amp fuse instead of 60
16 gauge for relay coil wiring, even 18 is fine. a relay coil only dissipates .6 watts
thanks for the help

ill try out a 50amp fuse instead of the 60 and ill pic up some small wire as u stated would be fine for my switch.

and i didnt notice the difference in gauge wires on the fan but i shall check it out since i havent given it a good look since i got it.
im ordering a roll of 8 gauge wire and i was thinking about just using 8 gauge for both the high and low? jus so i can use all that i am ordering cause its in pre-set rolls. what u think?
98 ZJ Limited 5.2, Blacked Out, 6.5" IRO Long Arm, 15x8 Pro Comp 97's, 35" MTZ's, Custom Front Bumper, Rusty's Disco's, KOR Light Bar, 8000K HID's, Magnaflow, CB, 5% Tint, System, TJ Gas Bezel, JKS Rear Trac Bar, Rusty's Front Trac Bar, KOR Stabilizer, Cold Air Intake, E-Fan, RCX Diff Guard, Clayton Brake Lines, MSD Ignition, Gen Right Louvers, Custom Sliders, IRO Belly Skid, Rigid Lights
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #95
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDevyn View Post
thanks for the help

ill try out a 50amp fuse instead of the 60 and ill pic up some small wire as u stated would be fine for my switch.

and i didnt notice the difference in gauge wires on the fan but i shall check it out since i havent given it a good look since i got it.
im ordering a roll of 8 gauge wire and i was thinking about just using 8 gauge for both the high and low? jus so i can use all that i am ordering cause its in pre-set rolls. what u think?
I think that fan draws 40 amps at startup, so even a 40-amp fuse would be ok. I'm using a 50 and all is well.

Pretty sure one of the fan leads is 12 ga and the other 10 ga. The ground is 10 ga. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Sure you can use 8 ga for high and low, even tho it is hard to work with. Depending on how long the runs are, 8 ga might be overkill.
Unread 09-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #96
SoCalDevyn
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.nein View Post
I think that fan draws 40 amps at startup, so even a 40-amp fuse would be ok. I'm using a 50 and all is well.

Pretty sure one of the fan leads is 12 ga and the other 10 ga. The ground is 10 ga. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Sure you can use 8 ga for high and low, even tho it is hard to work with. Depending on how long the runs are, 8 ga might be overkill.
yea ive just been going with what the original post says about the 30amp fuse and 8 gauge wire. i actually jus ordered some 8 gauge wire b4 i read this but i got 25 feet of it for $10 so i couldnt resist and i ordered 50amp and 30amp fuses so ill have to c how that works since i already ordered it and i can change things if i have to
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #97
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

It will work great.

But 8 ga. is tough to work with is all.
Unread 10-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #98
DothanJeep
1997 ZJ 

Holy wire mess.... I will post pics from my e-fan install.
01'WJ Project Cheap fix.
DothanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2009, 05:45 AM   #99
1_SIK_JP
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DothanJeep View Post
Holy wire mess.... I will post pics from my e-fan install.
any wiring pics yet???
Unread 12-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #100
jim92
1987 MJ Comanche 

does the taurus 3.0l come with the same fan
jim92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #101
DothanJeep
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim92 View Post
does the taurus 3.0l come with the same fan
Pretty sure Its only the 6cyl (3.8L )
01'WJ Project Cheap fix.
DothanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #102
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DothanJeep View Post
Pretty sure Its only the 6cyl (3.8L )
3.0's are 6cyls
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #103
4x4fisherman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

does any one know witch wire is high and low my ford tourus came with three wires the black is the ground i know that but one has a red strip and other has a yellow strip can any one help thanks
4x4fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #104
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Jump them straight to the battery one at a time - trust me, you'll know when you find the one that runs the high side - the assembly will try jumping up and biting you

To answer the other questions, you want the fan from a 3.8. The 3.0 is a single speed fan, and does not pull as much air as the high side of the dual speed.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #105
4x4fisherman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks i did just that. and now its all done . the only thing im concerned about is the temp sencer. do i make a hole in the radiator fins, (oh by the way i have the dc controler unit) thanks again
4x4fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.