Ford Taurus Two Speed E-Fan Install (pics) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 244 Old 03-02-2009, 01:12 AM
TINTINUAE
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 27
Ok, well my fan isn't connected to the serp belt at all. It does however, have a cable running to what looks like the relay box? This is an Australian Vehicle imported though, I think they may have different specs over there? Or they just had it changed when they got here? I will try and post a pic so I can show you properly what I mean.

TINTINUAE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 244 Old 09-13-2009, 09:53 PM
SoCalDevyn
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Valencia, CA
Posts: 448
sorry to bring back an old thread and sorry if what im looking for was already covered and i missed it but i got my fan and the relays, now i just have to pic up some wire so i can do this mod over the week.

i already have how im doing the wiring all drawn out, i jus have a few questions and some things to verify.

1. is the fan supposed to be blowing away or towards the motor?

2. what wire is for what on the fan itself? obviously black is ground but what one is low and high?

want to verify this:

-wire from battery to relay and relay to fan for low i will run 10 gauge
-wire from battery to relay and relay to fan for high i will run 8 gauge
-30 amp relay run an inline 30 amp fuse
-75 amp relay run an inline 60 amp fuse
-wire from switch to relay i will run prob 12-14 gauge or bigger?

thanks guys

98 ZJ Limited 5.2, Blacked Out, 6.5" IRO Long Arm, 15x8 Pro Comp 97's, 35" MTZ's, Custom Front Bumper, Rusty's Disco's, KOR Light Bar, 8000K HID's, Magnaflow, CB, 5% Tint, System, TJ Gas Bezel, JKS Rear Trac Bar, Rusty's Front Trac Bar, KOR Stabilizer, Cold Air Intake, E-Fan, RCX Diff Guard, Clayton Brake Lines, MSD Ignition, Gen Right Louvers, Custom Sliders, IRO Belly Skid, Rigid Lights
SoCalDevyn is offline  
post #93 of 244 Old 09-14-2009, 07:42 AM
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 6,876
1. towards motor
2. the thicker wire is high

I'd go with a 50 amp fuse instead of 60
16 gauge for relay coil wiring, even 18 is fine. a relay coil only dissipates .6 watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDevyn View Post
sorry to bring back an old thread and sorry if what im looking for was already covered and i missed it but i got my fan and the relays, now i just have to pic up some wire so i can do this mod over the week.

i already have how im doing the wiring all drawn out, i jus have a few questions and some things to verify.

1. is the fan supposed to be blowing away or towards the motor?

2. what wire is for what on the fan itself? obviously black is ground but what one is low and high?

want to verify this:

-wire from battery to relay and relay to fan for low i will run 10 gauge
-wire from battery to relay and relay to fan for high i will run 8 gauge
-30 amp relay run an inline 30 amp fuse
-75 amp relay run an inline 60 amp fuse
-wire from switch to relay i will run prob 12-14 gauge or bigger?

thanks guys
HighLonesome is offline  
post #94 of 244 Old 09-14-2009, 03:43 PM
SoCalDevyn
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Valencia, CA
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.nein View Post
1. towards motor
2. the thicker wire is high

I'd go with a 50 amp fuse instead of 60
16 gauge for relay coil wiring, even 18 is fine. a relay coil only dissipates .6 watts
thanks for the help

ill try out a 50amp fuse instead of the 60 and ill pic up some small wire as u stated would be fine for my switch.

and i didnt notice the difference in gauge wires on the fan but i shall check it out since i havent given it a good look since i got it.
im ordering a roll of 8 gauge wire and i was thinking about just using 8 gauge for both the high and low? jus so i can use all that i am ordering cause its in pre-set rolls. what u think?

98 ZJ Limited 5.2, Blacked Out, 6.5" IRO Long Arm, 15x8 Pro Comp 97's, 35" MTZ's, Custom Front Bumper, Rusty's Disco's, KOR Light Bar, 8000K HID's, Magnaflow, CB, 5% Tint, System, TJ Gas Bezel, JKS Rear Trac Bar, Rusty's Front Trac Bar, KOR Stabilizer, Cold Air Intake, E-Fan, RCX Diff Guard, Clayton Brake Lines, MSD Ignition, Gen Right Louvers, Custom Sliders, IRO Belly Skid, Rigid Lights
SoCalDevyn is offline  
post #95 of 244 Old 09-14-2009, 04:34 PM
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 6,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDevyn View Post
thanks for the help

ill try out a 50amp fuse instead of the 60 and ill pic up some small wire as u stated would be fine for my switch.

and i didnt notice the difference in gauge wires on the fan but i shall check it out since i havent given it a good look since i got it.
im ordering a roll of 8 gauge wire and i was thinking about just using 8 gauge for both the high and low? jus so i can use all that i am ordering cause its in pre-set rolls. what u think?
I think that fan draws 40 amps at startup, so even a 40-amp fuse would be ok. I'm using a 50 and all is well.

Pretty sure one of the fan leads is 12 ga and the other 10 ga. The ground is 10 ga. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Sure you can use 8 ga for high and low, even tho it is hard to work with. Depending on how long the runs are, 8 ga might be overkill.
HighLonesome is offline  
post #96 of 244 Old 09-14-2009, 05:00 PM
SoCalDevyn
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Valencia, CA
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.nein View Post
I think that fan draws 40 amps at startup, so even a 40-amp fuse would be ok. I'm using a 50 and all is well.

Pretty sure one of the fan leads is 12 ga and the other 10 ga. The ground is 10 ga. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Sure you can use 8 ga for high and low, even tho it is hard to work with. Depending on how long the runs are, 8 ga might be overkill.
yea ive just been going with what the original post says about the 30amp fuse and 8 gauge wire. i actually jus ordered some 8 gauge wire b4 i read this but i got 25 feet of it for $10 so i couldnt resist and i ordered 50amp and 30amp fuses so ill have to c how that works since i already ordered it and i can change things if i have to

98 ZJ Limited 5.2, Blacked Out, 6.5" IRO Long Arm, 15x8 Pro Comp 97's, 35" MTZ's, Custom Front Bumper, Rusty's Disco's, KOR Light Bar, 8000K HID's, Magnaflow, CB, 5% Tint, System, TJ Gas Bezel, JKS Rear Trac Bar, Rusty's Front Trac Bar, KOR Stabilizer, Cold Air Intake, E-Fan, RCX Diff Guard, Clayton Brake Lines, MSD Ignition, Gen Right Louvers, Custom Sliders, IRO Belly Skid, Rigid Lights
SoCalDevyn is offline  
post #97 of 244 Old 09-14-2009, 09:44 PM
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 6,876
It will work great.

But 8 ga. is tough to work with is all.
HighLonesome is offline  
post #98 of 244 Old 10-02-2009, 08:06 PM
DothanJeep
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dothan,AL(Born & Raised in Nazareth,PA)
Posts: 2,035
Holy wire mess.... I will post pics from my e-fan install.

00' WJ 4'' IRO 285 Tire...Ect-SOLD 7/2/2009
98' ZJ STORM TROOPIN' SOLD
97' ZJ with 117K THE DD mi SOLD
01'WJ Project Cheap fix.
DothanJeep is offline  
post #99 of 244 Old 11-10-2009, 05:45 AM
1_SIK_JP
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Canton
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DothanJeep View Post
Holy wire mess.... I will post pics from my e-fan install.
any wiring pics yet???

-'97 ZJ 4.0: Bought 3/1/15 - Uniden CB/PA, New Carpet, 5.9 door panels
1_SIK_JP is offline  
post #100 of 244 Old 12-08-2009, 04:43 PM
jim92
Registered User
1987 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: whaleyvilles md
Posts: 12
does the taurus 3.0l come with the same fan
jim92 is offline  
post #101 of 244 Old 12-08-2009, 05:07 PM
DothanJeep
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dothan,AL(Born & Raised in Nazareth,PA)
Posts: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim92 View Post
does the taurus 3.0l come with the same fan
Pretty sure Its only the 6cyl (3.8L )

00' WJ 4'' IRO 285 Tire...Ect-SOLD 7/2/2009
98' ZJ STORM TROOPIN' SOLD
97' ZJ with 117K THE DD mi SOLD
01'WJ Project Cheap fix.
DothanJeep is offline  
post #102 of 244 Old 12-08-2009, 06:49 PM
jeepwrangler97
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 3,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by DothanJeep View Post
Pretty sure Its only the 6cyl (3.8L )
3.0's are 6cyls
jeepwrangler97 is offline  
post #103 of 244 Old 01-28-2010, 11:09 AM
4x4fisherman
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: S.A. TEXAS
Posts: 9
does any one know witch wire is high and low my ford tourus came with three wires the black is the ground i know that but one has a red strip and other has a yellow strip can any one help thanks
4x4fisherman is offline  
post #104 of 244 Old 01-28-2010, 08:08 PM
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim
 
FPKites's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 13,583
Jump them straight to the battery one at a time - trust me, you'll know when you find the one that runs the high side - the assembly will try jumping up and biting you

To answer the other questions, you want the fan from a 3.8. The 3.0 is a single speed fan, and does not pull as much air as the high side of the dual speed.

Jim Karlin
"How the heck do you get there?"
"Duh! Big RED Jeep!!!"
Best customer service in the states:

96 ZJ Laredo
5" lift, Claytons, KOR radiator support, rear bumper, steering brace, etc, etc, etc.

04 WJ Overland
Clean.... :D
FPKites is offline  
post #105 of 244 Old 01-29-2010, 10:48 AM
4x4fisherman
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: S.A. TEXAS
Posts: 9
thanks i did just that. and now its all done . the only thing im concerned about is the temp sencer. do i make a hole in the radiator fins, (oh by the way i have the dc controler unit) thanks again
4x4fisherman is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Ford Taurus E-fan? MeWJWifeZJ ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 9 04-01-2009 10:58 AM
Taurus E-Fan Install gabrod72 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 5 11-25-2008 01:27 PM
finally installed my ford taurus fan MEinSoCal ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 12 08-11-2008 06:13 PM
Ford Taurus fan swap Casper4x4 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 1 07-11-2008 07:49 PM
Ford Taurus 2 Speed Fan Swamp Boy ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 11 01-13-2004 02:38 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome