Ford Taurus Two Speed E-Fan Install (pics) - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ford Taurus Two Speed E-Fan Install (pics)

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #76
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

It provides much better cooling power which is good for wheeling, aka moving slow when it's extremely warm out.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #77
Hamid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I goufd up this afternoon, bought used one at the junkyard nearby for 3.0L, it looks the same except for the blades (6), and the motor hump (popping out), it has two terminals (single speed). I paid 48 bucks.

When I got home I called Ford parts dealer for pricing a new fan assy P/N F4DZ-8C607-AC, was $120, not bad comparing to the prices in the U.S.

I will put the one I bought (single speed) on my 66 Ford truck, I may use some kind of a sensor to control its operation according to engine or coolant temp.

I need to read more on the relay and the stat things. I prefer to run the fan on and off automatically instead of continious operation at the fan low speed side.

I wounder what is the amps draw on that fan.

Hamid.
Hamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #78
Hamid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I did install this fan on my 93 ZJ, 4.0L,,,,,, On low speed the voltage dropped to 10 and on high speed the same or a little under 10V.
Engine performance is a little better, I drove the Jeep about 50 miles at night and stopped several times at the traffic, it passes a little over 210 on low speed, no major chaneg when I flip to high. I guess I will clean the rad and change the stat to a new 195 or 165. I might replace the WP with FlowKool, or some modified one from other supplyer I will look for the name in other threads.
I got one Q: Is it a good I dea to put in a higher output alternator (136-165amps)?

I wish you EMTimZJ can tell me hod did you wire up the 30amp relay, or show me a digram. Thank you for your help.
Unread 08-07-2008, 04:59 AM   #79
Hamid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I hop you EMTimZJ comeback soon, I need a wiring diagram of your modification, I cannot connect the 30amp relay ( the low speed fan only works, the hi does not).
Unread 08-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #80
georged
2004 WJ 

That's a nice wiring job. I would like to suggest you check this out: I read that a starter relay, even though it is high amperage rated, it not intended for CONTINUED use - seems the trigger coil can't take continuous heat.
georged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #81
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

go buy a napa part number st85, it a 80 amp starter relay the IS a continuous use and its only like $55
Unread 08-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #82
Hamid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone know how to hook up the starter relay.
Unread 09-18-2008, 02:54 AM   #83
joemadoo
1997 ZJ 

Just finished the electric fan swap after reading this thread like 6 times. Hooked up the low to a 50A relay, triggered by the coil. The high goes threw a 75A Relay triggered by an in-cab switch.

Here's a pic from the top. Left to right is the 50A Relay, 75A Relay, and the 60A/30A Fuses.

Thanks to all who chimed in on this thread earlier
Unread 09-18-2008, 08:02 AM   #84
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparrr07 View Post
go buy a napa part number st85, it a 80 amp starter relay the IS a continuous use and its only like $55
$9.97 for a 70 amp relay. I got one that's still going after 6 years driving the Mopar efan.

http://www.minute-man.com/cgi-bin/sh...1_2d1D70_2d12F
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 11:18 AM   #85
joemadoo
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
$9.97 for a 70 amp relay.
Awww man I just paid 50 bucks at napa for mine
Unread 09-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #86
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemadoo View Post
Awww man I just paid 50 bucks at napa for mine

But you got instant gratification. Unless there is a decent electronic parts place in your town, you'd have to mail order and wait. Plus there would be shipping, and you'd need the $3 socket too. Still though, much cheaper.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #87
TINTINUAE
1998 ZJ 

Ok just out of interest, I have a 98 5.2 ZJ and it runs pretty cool considering the temp out here in the middle east, obviously mine has the Electric fan already installed, so would dropping a taurus fan into my rig benifit me at all or would it be the same, I guess the only change s I will really need are to snip my wires and connect them up to the taurus fan wires and possibly some trimming/fixing alterations. Is this ture or will I need new relays and such too? Thanks guys.

Tony.
TINTINUAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #88
Aceladriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINTINUAE View Post
Ok just out of interest, I have a 98 5.2 ZJ and it runs pretty cool considering the temp out here in the middle east, obviously mine has the Electric fan already installed, so would dropping a taurus fan into my rig benifit me at all or would it be the same, I guess the only change s I will really need are to snip my wires and connect them up to the taurus fan wires and possibly some trimming/fixing alterations. Is this ture or will I need new relays and such too? Thanks guys.

Tony.
Tony, if you have the 5.2 it does NOT have the electric fan installed, it would only be the mechanical clutch fan driven by the belt.
For the ZJs (93 to 98) it is only the 98 5.9 that has the electric fan (Efan) so if yours is the 5.2 you would basically need to do the whole installation as has been described here.

BTW - While the Taurus fan does have a bit better flow than the Jeep fan, the Taurus fan swap is not really done as an upgrade. It is done when the Jeep Efan fails as a lower cost alternative to buying the Jeep Efan.
In the US the replacement fan motor for the Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable runs about $80 USD. Jeep wants something obscene like $300 USD (or more) because they only sell it with the whole housing.
So, if you had a good running fan in a 98 5.9 Jeep you wouldn't do this swap until the electric fan was failing.

For the Jeep 5.9 owners that do this swap, the only thing they have to change is the connector for the motor. (no relays or anything else)
That's assuming you get the right Ford motor. There are several models and some have different blade/shaft setups.
Some people solder the Jeep motor connector onto the Ford Efan motor wiring harness. Instead, I highly recommend finding a wrecked Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable in a junkyard and getting the body side connector for the Efan and soldering it in place of the Jeep body side connector. That way if you have to replace the Ford Efan motor again it will be an easy plug in job instead of having to solder the Jeep connector onto the Ford motor again.

Another less used, less known option for converting to an Efan setup from a mechanical fan setup is what I'm going with on my 93 5.2 Jeep - if you can find a wrecked 98 5.9 Jeep, pull the Efan wiring harness, upper and lower radiator hose assemblies and one AC line from that. (the temp switches in the two radiator hoses and the pressure switch in the AC line control the turn-on and high/low settings for the two speed Efan)

You wouldn't know it from looking at it but if you tear into the 98 5.9, the wiring harness for the Efan, relays etc is actually a nice separate harness that is just taped to the main harness in a few places.
To make it just like the factory installation you would need to also get one of the hoses from the AC system. It has a second pressure sensor in it for the Efan so it comes on when there is a load on the AC system during AC or defroster use.

As an alternative if you don't want to open your AC system and replace the hose you could put a jumper across the connector for the AC line. Not a great option though as the fan would run whenever the Jeep was running.
Better option might be to jump those wires to an in-dash switch. Only downside to that is you have to remember to turn it on. (NOTE: the temp switches in the hoses might turn it on anyway - can't remember for sure how that works)
So depending how comfortable you are with making you own wiring and how easily you can find a wrecked 5.9 Jeep over there - that should help you decide which way to go.

sba lekhir - Z
Unread 03-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #89
TINTINUAE
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceladriver View Post
Tony, if you have the 5.2 it does NOT have the electric fan installed, it would only be the mechanical clutch fan driven by the belt.
For the ZJs (93 to 98) it is only the 98 5.9 that has the electric fan (Efan) so if yours is the 5.2 you would basically need to do the whole installation as has been described here.

sba lekhir - Z
Ok, so I guess that means that the fan is attached to the serp belt then, is that right. Or will it still be seperate from the serp belt and driven by the speed of the belt's RPM's?
If it is attached to the belt then I DON'T have a mechanical belt, but if the fan is driven by the speed of the belt through wiring and relays then I DO have the mech fan.
Either way, the last fan I had would start even when the ign. key is only in on position, without the engine running which leads me to think I had the Efan, but I went to a scrappy as my old fan died and the fan he gave me now only runs when the serp is rotating.

I aint that good with the electrical side of things unless I have the wiring diagram infront of me then I'm ok. Otherwise I'll just hold out for now and see what happens.
TINTINUAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #90
Aceladriver

If you have the 5.2 it is mechanical - unless someone converted it before you got it.

The mechanical fan is a thermally operated clutch fan on the water pump shaft like most cars, so yes it's operated by the serp belt when the engine is running.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.