Ford Taurus Two Speed E-Fan Install (pics) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ford Taurus Two Speed E-Fan Install (pics)

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #16
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How close to the radiator is the fan itself... would I be able to leave my tranny cooler where its at (backside of the radiator) its about 1/2" thick, ir would I have to move it? I have a pusher fan as well and would want to try to run both.

Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #17
tommaho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How have the relays been holding up for you? I've been seeing some people say the Ford wont hold up well to continuous use and that the the surge on low can cook the 30 amp.

I'll be doing this myself soon and I'm wondering if it's worth getting the big bosch relays.

Tom
Unread 11-13-2006, 06:36 PM   #18
mnjeep

Go to napa and have them look up a continous duty relay, i got mine for around $30, mine is used for a dual battery setupin my ford van i converted into a RV.. works well and there designed to take continous loads.. starter relays will durn up if there used for long periods of time..

The one i have looks like a ford starter relay.. same type of gadget just the coils in it are designed to be on all the time.. not just for short bursts like a starter relay.

Jason

94 GRAND Laredo, Virtually Mint, all stock for now
92 Isuzu Trooper - 31" tires on 15" soft 8's
91 XJ Sport - Rust orange/red color.. with real rust mixed in :)
mnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2006, 07:03 PM   #19
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Well I ran it for 2 months, then my transmission cooked itself. I decided to swap to a manual, a custom reduction box + Dana20 TC, and two new axles. Sooo it has not moved for a while

The fan moves plenty of CFM on the low setting, which is how I ran it. The Ford starter relay worked for when I turned it on, but I never needed it since I was not overheating while it was on low.

HTH

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2006, 11:15 PM   #20
sgarlic

dccontrol.com .. the best relay/controller you'll find by far.
96 5.2 Ltd - Flame Red - Every factory option except engine block heater, [URL="http://www.sgarlic.com/jeepsite/dccfan.html"]Taurus Electric Fan / Delta Current Controller[/URL], removed silencer, 15% tint.
sgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2006, 11:37 PM   #21
Colorado 5.9
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanZJ
The 5.9L uses an electic fan instead of mechanical, correct?

In fact, both the Taurus & 5.9 use the very same motor.
ZJ 98 5.9 LTD. Lots of mods. 7" T&T's Long Arm Lift ,BFG KM2"s,35X12.50x16's,4:56's, Vanco brake upgrade, M1intake,Holley52mmTB,MikeLeach Headers,, Arb'ed HP D30,Aussie Locked rear,Procomp MX6 Shocks,Arb front,RearTR bumpers,ECT.ECT.

Latest Pics
Colorado 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2006, 06:05 AM   #22
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarlic
dccontrol.com .. the best relay/controller you'll find by far.
There are a crap load of people on pirate that ordered from DCControl and waited months for their units, heck they may have not received them yet.

this is the setup I ran (my jeep, but from a write up on another board) I used the BOSCH relay, it's $55 or so, but it is compact and supposed to work very well, havn't heard of one burning up yet.

Quote:
After some prodding by 99grandTJ I got around to installing my fan and I thought I would throw this up in case some one is looking for part #'s for a Taurus fan install. The relays will eat you on the cost (~$55 for the 75 AMP relay, and figure ~60 for the thermostatic switch) The fan is from a 92 Taurus and was ~$45

my install was a little more extensive as I had a Chevy V-8 under the hood and its a YJ, but principals are the same I guess

this required the moving forward of the radiator, and moving the tranny cooler to the front, I used to have a pusher fan...

On High this fan will suck a cat through the radiator... start up draw is in the vicinity of 60 amps (starting right into high speed) though so it required a heavy duty 75 amp relay... I have that protected with a 60 AMP fuse... I am hoping I wont be blowing that, the low speed is auto controlled with a manual override for high speed. I figure I can hold the start up amps down if I only flip on the move from low to high. All lower pics are prior to looming. I have to finish looming it up tonight.

Also Please note: The way I did this I do not have a safety catch for the hood anymore... But I obvioulsy couldnt move the motor, and it was easier to trim the radiator then to chaneg to a short water pump. (leaves me some space under the hood later too)

A through the radiator zip holder was used on the upper passenger side temporarily until I can make another bracket... the fan is mounted with bolts on the other 3 corners, you can see one of the brackets in the lower corner on the following picture.

on the left is the 3 way in cab switch, on the right is the 75 AMP Bosch relay from a Freightliner
The Switch is Part # TG7050 (NAPA PART #) and the 75 amp Relay is part # AR298 (also NAPA)

The relays mounted (the relay on the right is a 50 amp temperature controlled relay for low speed)

I was running 210-212 before with a 160* t-stat or even without one... now I seem to run 180-185 with a 160* t-stat and ~190-200 pulling a HEAVY trailer (tandem car trailer) but I have only had the setup in for a couple days, I put it to the test yesterday I think with the trailer though.

here is another pic I took as well if it helps...

trimmed the grill

Here are my switches and locations... the 3 way fan switch is on the lower left of the steering wheel, I wanted it seaprated as well as different so I don't accidentally flip it like some people do.

Unread 11-14-2006, 06:52 AM   #23
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

I run the dc controls setup and yes it took about a month to arrive so you have to plan that in. I wasn't in a hurry so it works for me.
The one difficulty with the Taurus fan for 4.0L GCs is it's depth. There's no way it'll fit even if you shave down the bolts that held the mechanical fan down. You have to dremel the taurus shroud. So I went with an aftermarket fan but I still have the taurus fan if I find that this fan can't handle the heat and AC (presently not working nad for the most part not needed even in the summer).
ZJ running a lot cooler now.

Phil
TW DC DS; ARB Bull Bar, F&R Air Lockers; Superior Axles; Warn Winch; 4.56 gears; ACOS, Addco F&R Sw Bar, JKS Discos, Rr Track Bar & Nerfs, 249>242 Swap, Stillen rotors+Kolak pads, 3 pc. Armor, RE 4.5 Kit + 2.5"BB, Adj. UCAs&LCAs, OME SS, Bilstein 5150s, 15x8 AR Diamond Backs, 33 Truxus MTs, K&N FIPK, RE 62mm TB, Perf. Distr. 4.0L Kit, Exhaust: 2.5" Kolak exhaust FM 70: Optima Yellow, Mean Grn Alt., PIAA 520s, 540s, Kevins Rack, & TB Conversion
Phil Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #24
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

I've had this bookmarked for a while and didn't feel like starting a new thread. Anyone have any updates on this? I'm debating doing it within the next year or so once I get some other projects done. My only question is does everyone run on Low even before the engine fully heats up? Or do they wait before flipping it on? Thanks.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 10:49 AM   #25
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

as for perfomance....using the e fan will increase due to the lack of a power loss in running the mechanical fan and less restrictions. Sounds like a great write up...just if I was more comfortable in doing it myself. I may contact Nick and get a 5.9 fan....I hear they are direct swaps as well. I want mine to run when it needs to and not have to flip switches.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #26
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

if you have a thermostat in you can leave it on all the time and the vehicle will still wamr up fine. i did an electric fan swap on my old bmw and it is on low all the time and the car warms up fine. i had planned on doing this fan install on my comanche but i never got around to it before i sold the truck. this fan is a very popular swap into many different vehicles. it is also very popular to swap into old hotrods because the fan moves enough air for an sbc mildly built
Unread 03-22-2008, 11:02 AM   #27
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmd454 View Post
as for perfomance....using the e fan will increase due to the lack of a power loss in running the mechanical fan and less restrictions. Sounds like a great write up...just if I was more comfortable in doing it myself. I may contact Nick and get a 5.9 fan....I hear they are direct swaps as well. I want mine to run when it needs to and not have to flip switches.
Interesting. I bet the 5.9 would cost more though. Let me know about that. I feel the same way as you, I want to do it, but don't trust myself doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busemans View Post
if you have a thermostat in you can leave it on all the time and the vehicle will still wamr up fine. i did an electric fan swap on my old bmw and it is on low all the time and the car warms up fine. i had planned on doing this fan install on my comanche but i never got around to it before i sold the truck. this fan is a very popular swap into many different vehicles. it is also very popular to swap into old hotrods because the fan moves enough air for an sbc mildly built
Yea, I still have the stock thermostat. I guess i'll just tap the wires in the steering column so it comes on/off with that and leave it switched on low. Though when it's -10F out in the winter, I might leave it off so it warms up a bit quicker? yay or nay on that?

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #28
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Still running mine. The low speed is thermostatically controlled, so the fan is off until the jeep warms up. High is on an over ride switch.
Unread 03-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #29
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kyle_ View Post
Yea, I still have the stock thermostat. I guess i'll just tap the wires in the steering column so it comes on/off with that and leave it switched on low. Though when it's -10F out in the winter, I might leave it off so it warms up a bit quicker? yay or nay on that?
you can do that. no trouble with it
Unread 03-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #30
Aceladriver

I got a complete Taurus setup for my 93 and was waiting to install that. I did a lot of engine compartment detailing on my 5.9 and I noticed most of the Efan harness is actually separate from the underhood harness but is taped to it along the routing.

So I got a 5.9 for parts and was planning on using the complete 5.9 setup with the wiring, relays and the radiator hose sensor housings and alternator etc.... then I decided the 5.9 was too nice to part out :-)

Anyway, that's another suggestion. There are lots of 5.9s in boneyards.

I guess it's also good to have manual control or more importantly manual shutoff if you think your going to be fording streams at any point. I suppose you could work a manual on/off switch into any thermostat controlled setup too.

BTW - how many of you folks with the Efans are running stock alternators vs higher output?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.