Ford Taurus Two Speed E-Fan Install (pics) - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ford Taurus Two Speed E-Fan Install (pics)

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #181
airwolf9090
1996 ZJ 

On the 5.2 how does the water pump pully stay on when you pull off the fan? On mine it looks like the only thing holding on the pully is the fan..........

Unread 03-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #182
AcidAnton
Czech OffRoader

2005 WK 

So I found out my 5.9 has the Taurus e-fan already installed, but I don't have a switch controlling the speed. It looks like it is wired to the existing hookup for the stock e-fan.. So does that mean my ZJ does it automatic for me?

Also, I would need to buy some steel strippings and make my own mounting brackets.. the previous owner has zip-ties holding this one...

Upcoming Projects: Digital Camo Paint Job mod , 4" Superlift, 33" Tires, ARB Bumber, Tire Mount on Hitch

Silver WK Club Member #88
HEMI Club Member #80

R.I.P
1998 ZJ 5.9L Limited - Platinum
1997 ZJ 5.2L V8 - Mud Flooded the Engine - Donor Jeep now

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
I named mine Jezebel because she used to be the most powerful thing in the world, but now shes just an old, dirty ***** whose been around the block a few times.
AcidAnton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #183
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The 5.9 fan has two settings that are temperature controlled automatically.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #184
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9090 View Post
On the 5.2 how does the water pump pully stay on when you pull off the fan? On mine it looks like the only thing holding on the pully is the fan..........
The water pump pulley is pressed on. The big nut that you see secures the fan clutch to the WP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidAnton View Post
So I found out my 5.9 has the Taurus e-fan already installed, but I don't have a switch controlling the speed. It looks like it is wired to the existing hookup for the stock e-fan.. So does that mean my ZJ does it automatic for me?

Also, I would need to buy some steel strippings and make my own mounting brackets.. the previous owner has zip-ties holding this one...
The 5.9 fan is theromstat-controlled by a (very expensive to replace) sensor in the upper (and lower?) radiator hose.

As it turns out, the motor for the 5.9 is the very same one in the 3.8l Taurus. 2 speeds. The blades are a smidge different, and the shroud is obviously different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
The 5.9 fan has two settings that are temperature controlled automatically.
What he said
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #185
YJ43
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've probably missed it here, but what are you guys using for the circuit breaker and where do you get it? Can you just use a higher amp inline fuse for this?
1995 YJ: 4.0L I-6 and AW-4 trans; CJ front clip; SOA front, 4-link in rear; 8.8 rear w/ Detroit locker; 4.56 gears; TJ front shafts; SYE; 1" Body lift; JB4x4 hi-steer; Ford Taurus fan; B&M Hi-Tek trans cooler; 35" Procomp MT on aluminum wheels
YJ43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #186
YelloJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ43 View Post
I've probably missed it here, but what are you guys using for the circuit breaker and where do you get it? Can you just use a higher amp inline fuse for this?
I used an inline fuse.
YelloJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #187
xbeakerx
1998 ZJ 

Thanks!
Unread 07-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #188
tj2kj
1998 ZJ 

I saw some reference to using the Taurus fan on a 4.0L ZJ - it won't fit. Found out the hard way. You only have about 3.5" clearance between the radiator and the water pump pully - too narrow for the fan. Fortunately I got a warranty on the Taurus fan at the junk yard, so went back to search for another that would work better. After a bit of searching I found a 2002 Chrsyler PT Cruiser has a 3" wide X 16" fan in a nice housing that looks like a great fit. It also is a 2 speed unit. I post a pic when I get it installed this weekend.
tj2kj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #189
tj2kj
1998 ZJ 

Got the PT Cruiser fan installed with about 1/2" to spare between engine and fan motor. Works well. Installed switch on dash to go low/off/high. Wanted to be able to turn off for quick warm ups in cold weather and for water crossing. I installed 2 LEDs on dash above instrument panel that will illuminate when the engine is on and the fan is off. Had to use 2 relays for the fans I located in a small box under the hood fastened to the firewall and 2 more relays under the dash for the LED control. When installing it I discovered altough the fan was out of a 2002 PT Cruiser, it was a replacement unit only 1 year old. Sweet!

I cut the original fan shroud a little and trimmed the Cruiser fan shroud and bolted them together. Then shoved the assembly between radiator and engine and locked it down using the original mounting points of the Jeep shroud. Engine seems to operate better as does the AC.
2012-07-17-17.04.31.jpg   2012-07-17-17.17.25.jpg   2012-07-17-17.19.10.jpg   2012-07-17-17.19.57.jpg  
tj2kj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #190
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Very nice!

Unread 08-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #191
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Went back to the boneyard looking for a bank of relay sockets (small footprint) and I found two more 70/80 amp relays for free with a more contemporary number;

I scanned several vehicles for small footprint relay pods, but so far those that take Bosch style relays are 6x9" and larger.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #192
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

I've been looking a this whole issue for some time now and trying to decide what to do. As I see it my options are:

1) second hand Taurus fan - not that easy to find out here in the UAE because the Taurus isn't a common car
2) new Taurus fan assembly from Rockauto - $84 including shroud. That would require shipping but it is new
3) keep the standard Jeep shroud and fit a universal fan into it.

By my measurements the aperture in the existing shroud has a 19" diameter and could be trimmed to give about 20" I would guess. On my Jeep I have just under 4" from the rear face of the radiator to the front of the pulley (after removal of the mechanical fan and clutch)nso that should be OK depth wise.

Looking at the info on Rockauto, the Taurus fan appears to have a diameter of about 16" and that is about the size of the largest fan that Spal list on their website. Looking on eBay, that does seem to be about the maximum diameter available (apart from a few ridiculously expensive Flex-a-Lite items).

The 16" Spal promises about 1900CFM - does anyone know what the output of the Taurus fan is? I've seen 16" universal fans on eBay promising 2000CFM+ but I'm not sure if I really believe those figures!

I'm tempted to try a 16" universal one, though, (lower cost option, especially with regard to shipping) and if that does not cut it then I'll front up the money for the Taurus fan. For simplicity I would probably just wire it up to run permanently, given that it never really gets cool here - even in "winter".
moggie99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #193
davidtownsend
2006 WK 

Would I have the air from the fan pushing through the radiator or pulling through it?
Unread 09-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #194
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

I would use a Taurus fan as a puller.

Unread 09-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #195
davidtownsend
2006 WK 

I had it pushing and it was overheating. So I posted on another thread and. They said have it pull so I have it pulling now and it works great so far. Have only drove it to work but it kept it cooler the whole way here. It would heat up a little on start offs but it went right back when I was going. I have to test it standing still with the a/c on full blast. My tranny is going out and It is still hooked up to the radiator so it likes to heat up my engine as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.