Ford Taurus Two Speed E-Fan Install (pics) - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ford Taurus Two Speed E-Fan Install (pics)

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 03-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #151
SA59GRAND
1998 ZJ 

Don't know if anyone has heard of this one but I found it on Ebay and it sounds good and runs 2 different speeds if you have a 2-speed fan. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=370503454034

SA59GRAND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #152
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

subbed for future reference.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #153
Fixins13
1997 ZJ 

Whoa, isn't the idea here that this is cheap? Is that fan control $125? I bought a general purpose electric fan for about $50 and then this thermostatic switch kit for $25 and never touched it again. I put a kill switch in the cockpit in case I was crossing water and that was it. 2-speeds are nice and all but wouldn't you rather it just work?
Unread 03-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #154
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixins13 View Post
Whoa, isn't the idea here that this is cheap? Is that fan control $125? I bought a general purpose electric fan for about $50 and then this thermostatic switch kit for $25 and never touched it again. I put a kill switch in the cockpit in case I was crossing water and that was it. 2-speeds are nice and all but wouldn't you rather it just work?
Your $50 fan does not flow near the amount of air the Taurus fan does. OEM parts also generally will last MUCH longer and take much more abuse then an aftermarket part. A comparable aftermarket fan to the Taurus fan will be MUCH more expensive then $50
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #155
SA59GRAND
1998 ZJ 

Yea I have to go with Jeepfreak81 on that! No $50 fan is going to flow anything like the Taurus fan, unless it is a used Taurus fan and for that price the motor is probably pretty tired in it. I wanted even more flow that the Taurus fan so I tried and fitted a Lincoln Mark VIII 18" into my 1998 5.9 ZJ. http://www.flickr.com/photos/4010925...7624589707277/ and before that I replaced the wore out Factory 5.9 fan motor with a Siemens fan motor from Autozone and wired it to a 2-way switch on my dash. http://www.flickr.com/photos/4010925...7620884087193/ So when I changed to the 18" Lincoln fan I just changed the wires over to that fan.
Unread 03-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #156
Fixins13
1997 ZJ 

My $50 Flex-a-lite fan and $25 switch lasted 2+ years until I sold that particular Jeep. It never once went into the red on the temp gage and I never touched the control once I had it set where I wanted it. I'm not trying to be argumentative; y'all should mod your rigs any way you see fit. If you want to spend the money to have a digitally controlled, 2-speed, Ford made, 30 amp fan, have at it. I guess my only point was I did it for less money and seemingly a lot less effort than some say they needed to make a junkyard part work reliably in their Jeep. Also FWIW, I ran the ground on the relay through the firewall so in case it shorted, the fan would come on rather than vice-versa.
Unread 03-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #157
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixins13 View Post
My $50 Flex-a-lite fan and $25 switch lasted 2+ years until I sold that particular Jeep. It never once went into the red on the temp gage and I never touched the control once I had it set where I wanted it. I'm not trying to be argumentative; y'all should mod your rigs any way you see fit. If you want to spend the money to have a digitally controlled, 2-speed, Ford made, 30 amp fan, have at it. I guess my only point was I did it for less money and seemingly a lot less effort than some say they needed to make a junkyard part work reliably in their Jeep. Also FWIW, I ran the ground on the relay through the firewall so in case it shorted, the fan would come on rather than vice-versa.
I run a mild 355 in my rig, I tried the cheapy $50 fan... I yanked it and tossed it on my flatfender. The Taurus fan dropped my temps 15-20* because it could get ahead of the heat the motor produces.
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #158
1997ddzj
2002 WJ 

OK guys im apparantly retarded. I cant seem to find the right fan. My first trip led me to getting one out of a 1990 taurus wagon that didnt fit. The motor on the fan was way to large to fit. No big deal, I have a warranty for it so I took it back. Well I get another fan out of a 1995 Taurus, with the correct part number as the one off of the mall crawling write up. Well this one does not fit either.

Now it very possibly could be me, but there seems to be something wrong here. This fan does not fit on the radiator at all. Its acually wider, A good inch on each side. Now when i was at the yard I did notice a 3rd style of fan, but it was on the newer generation and they had two fans instead of one.

Anyone got some insight?
1997ddzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #159
SA59GRAND
1998 ZJ 

In post number 4 he said that he had to mount it Up-Side Down to Clear the Power Steering Box. Did you try it that way??? Look at post #197 on this page http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...us-fan../page8 , he fit it into the Factory V8 ZJ Fan Shroud. Does your fan look like that one??? Also read through the Whole thread, they are talking about mounting it on the Lower part of the Radiator because it slips into the 2 "notches" on the bottom of the Radiator and then using metal strips to attach it to the Top of the Radiator. Something like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/4010925...7623987014061/ Hope that helps.
Unread 04-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #160
1997ddzj
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA59GRAND View Post
In post number 4 he said that he had to mount it Up-Side Down to Clear the Power Steering Box. Did you try it that way??? Look at post #197 on this page http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...us-fan../page8 , he fit it into the Factory V8 ZJ Fan Shroud. Does your fan look like that one??? Also read through the Whole thread, they are talking about mounting it on the Lower part of the Radiator because it slips into the 2 "notches" on the bottom of the Radiator and then using metal strips to attach it to the Top of the Radiator. Something like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/4010925...7623987014061/ Hope that helps.
Yes Ive had it every which way. Upside down, right ways, even had it vertical at one point lol. Ive had it down to the bottom of my radiator and it def does not clip in. Im pretty sure I have the wrong fan, as this one does not even fit inside the end tanks of my radiator. i for sure got it our of the right year range, and it had the correct engine, so im not sure what the deal is. Nor how this proplem hasnt come up with somebody else.

From looking at that picture though, it does resemble my fan how its offset from the center. But mine has about 5 more inches of offset lol.
Unread 04-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #161
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

The fan you're looking for is a single, and it has 3 leads coming out of it. It clears my 5.2 with the mechanical fan perfectly.

If anything, it would be good to overlap the end tanks on your radiator. Protect the fins and get a decent seal.

I said it many moons ago, and I'll say it again...get the fan from the 3.8
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #162
1997ddzj
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
The fan you're looking for is a single, and it has 3 leads coming out of it. It clears my 5.2 with the mechanical fan perfectly.

If anything, it would be good to overlap the end tanks on your radiator. Protect the fins and get a decent seal.

I said it many moons ago, and I'll say it again...get the fan from the 3.8
The one I have IS off of a 3.8 taurus. Unless people are modding them this one does not fit. Nor did the previous one. Hasnt anyone come across this problem but me? I seriously feel like a complete moron trying to figure this out.

And im sorry Im not looking to be spoon fed here either. I dont expect to have that nor do I want to learn that way. Im just incredibly suprised that no one else has come across these different style fans before.
Unread 04-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #163
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

It's possible that the 4.0 makes it hard to fit. My only experience is with the 5.2.

What exactly are you not able to clear?
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #164
SA59GRAND
1998 ZJ 

1997ddzj........Check the Measurments on the fan you have with the measurments of this 3.8 V6 Taurus Fan. http://www.broncoii4x4.com/taurus-fa...taurus-fan.php
Unread 04-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #165
1997ddzj
2002 WJ 

Thanx for the help guys. I ended up getting the correct one today out of a S.H.O. Which I know isnt what it was suppose to some out of, but it is the exact one that everyone has been using. So apparantly someone has swaped this fan at some point lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.