Ford Taurus Two Speed E-Fan Install (pics) - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ford Taurus Two Speed E-Fan Install (pics)

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 09-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #136
Billyjoebob007
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubatch2 View Post
Thanks for the write up,I was planning on doing this in the next few months
Heres these ones that are still 12V 55W but like $100 cheaper than the 1000's:

Hella 005750991 500 Series 12V/55W Black Magic Halogen Driving Lamp Kit

Amazon.com: Hella 005750991 500 Series 12V/55W Black Magic Halogen Driving Lamp Kit: Automotive

Billyjoebob007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #137
Billyjoebob007
1997 ZJ 

Jeesh, i just posted the above to the wrong thread

I have 3 jeep forum tabs open and i gots confused
Billyjoebob007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 09:03 PM   #138
JKDinSC
1997 ZJ 

So i have a 4.0 zj would like to swap in an e-fan. I want it to turn on and off automatically but would like to have an override switch to make and turn it off if water crossing. so what all exactly will i need? like what size realays would a taurus or contour fan work better and how can i wire it to have it turn on and off as i stated above, any help would be greatly appreciated
JKDinSC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2010, 06:29 AM   #139
YelloJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would recommend getting some relays from a junkyard (3 or 4 of them) out of a cadillac. That is what I did. They were cheap and they had waterproof housings on them. I don't know what size they were but I have had no problems. The relays were mounted on the firewall (on a little bracket with 3 relays) or the driverside fenderwell. I don't remember. I believe you will need 2 of the relays to set it up the way you want it (the diagram I used was set up for that) and the extras are for spares. Oh, and I think I had to rob a wire off one of the extras to splice into one of the relays I used because one wire wasn't there. You will see what I mean when you get to setting it up.
I will see if I can find the diagram. I think I saw a pic of those relays on here too. Where in SC are you??
YelloJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2010, 06:54 AM   #140
YelloJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

These are the relays. Maybe $1 each at the junkyard. Wait until LKQ has one of the 50% off days.. Go get the fan and everything.
Unread 09-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #141
JKDinSC
1997 ZJ 

im in the charleston area of SC Goose Creek to be specific, but yeah if somebody could write me up a wiring diagram on how i wanted it to turn on and off as i stated above that would help alot because in my auto classes at school right now we're working with wiring relay circuits and stuff and if i had a diagram i think i could do this
JKDinSC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2010, 07:27 AM   #142
YelloJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I will look and see if I can find the one I used. It is on this forum somewhere. If you look you should be able to find it or one like it. Oh, and I'm not a big electrical person and I was able to do it. The diagram I used had a three way switch and had "auto" (temp switch controlled), "high fan", and "off"(for water crossings.).
Unread 03-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #143
Jeremy302
1999 WJ 

Just trying to keep this thread going a little longer .

I was just wondering on a '99 WJ if the factory plug to the eFan would work at all with the Taurus 3.8 fan. (or any other fan for that matter assuming the plug was modified to plug into another fan) Is it's only function to turn on the fan when the A/C is on?

Is the only really good option to get a thermostat relay kit with A/C activation included? Would the A/C activation part of the kit just have to be tied back into the factory fan wiring/plug?

This vehicle is 99% street & highway driven. So I'm only curiously looking into this modification for a little fuel economy benefit. I would like it to work as much as possible like a factory electric fan setup so the fan only kicks on when needed. Especially while driving outside of city streets.

I this the main parts list I'll need basically to do this:
High CFM fan (2000cfm or better?)
Thermostat relay kit

Thanks,
Jeremy
Jeremy302 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #144
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy302 View Post
Just trying to keep this thread going a little longer .

I was just wondering on a '99 WJ if the factory plug to the eFan would work at all with the Taurus 3.8 fan. (or any other fan for that matter assuming the plug was modified to plug into another fan) Is it's only function to turn on the fan when the A/C is on?

Is the only really good option to get a thermostat relay kit with A/C activation included? Would the A/C activation part of the kit just have to be tied back into the factory fan wiring/plug?

This vehicle is 99% street & highway driven. So I'm only curiously looking into this modification for a little fuel economy benefit. I would like it to work as much as possible like a factory electric fan setup so the fan only kicks on when needed. Especially while driving outside of city streets.

I this the main parts list I'll need basically to do this:
High CFM fan (2000cfm or better?)
Thermostat relay kit

Thanks,
Jeremy
Sounds like you're looking at the same thing as I am, a stock setup but maybe a little fuel economy. The Taurus fan on high is 4500 cfm. There are lots of speed fan controllers out there that hook in to your A/C and are ignition wire triggered. That should take care of you. Also, make sure the fan is from a 3.8l Taurus to get the right fan.
'96 ZJ 5.2 Limited
crosschecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #145
Jeremy302
1999 WJ 

To simplify the installation I was only thinking of wiring it up for one speed. Has the low speed been sufficient enough for everyone using the Taurus 3.8 fan? If it ever became an issue or if I was going to be doing any towing I would then see about adding another relay for the high speed. Is high speed very loud compared to low as the everyday speed setting?
Unread 03-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #146
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
To simplify the installation I was only thinking of wiring it up for one speed. Has the low speed been sufficient enough for everyone using the Taurus 3.8 fan? If it ever became an issue or if I was going to be doing any towing I would then see about adding another relay for the high speed. Is high speed very loud compared to low as the everyday speed setting?
You're talking the difference between hooking up one extra wire or not. What's the issue with that?
'96 ZJ 5.2 Limited
Unread 03-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #147
Jeremy302
1999 WJ 

Isn't there also a second, larger amp relay needed to run the second speed, plus a switch to toggle between the two?
Unread 03-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #148
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Isn't there also a second, larger amp relay needed to run the second speed, plus a switch to toggle between the two?
If you get a controller that is set up to run the, it will have two relays, probably 30A each. When the fan is running and the switch is made to high speed, the fan is already running and doesn't need a big amp draw to bring it up to full speed.
'96 ZJ 5.2 Limited
Unread 03-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #149
Jeremy302
1999 WJ 

What is this controller you are referring to? I don't recall reading about anyone using one in the previous pages or any other sites regarding this fan conversion. Is this something similar to the Cadillac relays some people are picking from the junk yards?
I'm just trying to keep this as simple and clean as possible. If the low speed is all the engine really needs to keep it cool then the need for high is overkill. Plus that saves any unnecessary draw and wear on the alternator. If the conversion ends up being 6 one way half a dozen the other in regard to wiring for low only or wiring for low with option of high then I'll consider that route too. Let me know what you know about the controller you are talking about and maybe that will help clear things up. I'm not apposed to being safe rather than sorry.
Unread 03-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #150
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

2 speed fan controller

This is the fan controller I'm going to install once we get some decent weather. It has an A/C switch and can actually run two fans, also 2 speed fans. The controller is hooked into a switched ignition wire. The controller runs off the engine temp so it only runs the fan as needed. Straight forward, even comes with fuses and temp probe.
'96 ZJ 5.2 Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.