Is foam in differential oil bad ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is foam in differential oil bad ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-31-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Is foam in differential oil bad ?

Im still trying to figure out my rear end noise, checked the fluid level today on advice from someone and the fluid level seems low i dunno, basicly when i use my index finger i have to get to the 2nd knuckle almost before my finger get oil on it. So its deff not at the filler plug.

Also the oil was foamy tons and tons of bubbles. Looked like a bubble bath, and also the oil is a orange/dark tan color. It looks light when its thin, but when its concetrated it looks like motor oil. Is this fluid old and broken down, could this be the cause of the noise im hearing from the rear end ?

Seriously consdering spending the $80 on the mopar 75w-140 synthetic and additive after see'ing this.

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
tractor1
old dog

1979 CJ5 

Have you been in deep water? Sounds like water is geting in and ther is a oil leak. Change the oil and look for the leak
tractor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

No i havent never been in water asside from rain, and i dont see any leaks anywhere on the axle or drive shaft, or the wheels. Im not sure what the previous owner did to the Jeep tho, ive only had it for a month or so. I do see oil stains on the axle itself closest to the differential, however the Jeep had a bad transmission leak that i fixed and its leaking power steering also and its splatterd all over the Jeeps underside, so its most likely not differential oil.

The Jeep had alot of repairs done to t by the delaership tho, such as both engine mounts, both front CV axles, the windshield was replaced. Im guessing the guy who owned it before drove it until it broke or something, as the last recorded maintanence on the Jeep was at 73k miles and it has 120 on it.

Could the foam be the oil breaking down and not water ? Guess im just asking stupid questions anyway.. I'll change the oild deff probably tomarow when i get paid. I just want to know anyway
Unread 10-31-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
No i havent never been in water asside from rain, and i dont see any leaks anywhere on the axle or drive shaft, or the wheels. Im not sure what the previous owner did to the Jeep tho, ive only had it for a month or so. I do see oil stains on the axle itself closest to the differential, however the Jeep had a bad transmission leak that i fixed and its leaking power steering also and its splatterd all over the Jeeps underside, so its most likely not differential oil.

The Jeep had alot of repairs done to t by the delaership tho, such as both engine mounts, both front CV axles, the windshield was replaced. Im guessing the guy who owned it before drove it until it broke or something, as the last recorded maintanence on the Jeep was at 73k miles and it has 120 on it.

Could the foam be the oil breaking down and not water ? Guess im just asking stupid questions anyway.. I'll change the oild deff probably tomarow when i get paid. I just want to know anyway
its more then likely foaming because its too low. if theres not enough fluid it will cause foaming sometimes. with the LSD unit, its always good to change the diff fluids regularly.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Change your fluid already! 75-140 with limited slip additive.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Not to mention the D44a are known for bearing problems. I'd change the fluid with the correct additive and see what happens. While you have the diff cover off use a can or two of brake cleaner in there and clean the gears and everything out good and wipe it out. Brake cleaner works the best cuz it dries fast and leaves no residue. I had a Rodeo years back that had a leaky diff and went I replaced the cover all that I found inside was foam so yeah I'm betting its low too.
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
bigray122
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I've heard conflicting things about taking off the Diff cover. Do I need to get a gasket for my 93 GC Laredo or just use RTV, if just RTV what kind. Is 75-140w with additive a good way to go. Vehicle is everyday driver and not off roader...
bigray122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigray122 View Post
I've heard conflicting things about taking off the Diff cover. Do I need to get a gasket for my 93 GC Laredo or just use RTV, if just RTV what kind. Is 75-140w with additive a good way to go. Vehicle is everyday driver and not off roader...
a thin layer of rtv works best, on very clean mating surfaces, and don't over torque the bolts.
unless you have an after market LSD no need for additive, and if you dont tow you probably don't even need synthetic, just a quality gear oil, cant think of the weight right now.
Unread 11-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
mrtosh
2005 WK 

What oil is everybody running for the LSD? In my WJ with the QD I used Amsoil severe gear that had some friction modifier already in it. Would this suffice for my D44a w/traclok?
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Im getting the gear oil changed today, a mechanic who works on the Jeep's sometimes will do it for me. Itll be cheaper this way since he works in the Jeep dealership and does side Jobs at 6pm when the boss's go home lol. He said $40 for the rear, and he'll be using the 75w-140 mopar oil and the additive. I havent doen it myself btw because there is absolutetly no auto parts store, including NAPA, Advanced auto parts, pepboys ect that sell anything other then Mobile 1 75-140 LS. I heared alot of bad things about Mobile 1 oil in the limited slip differentials. Thats why i havent done the rear yet.

I asked the mechanic if he could take the cover off and check the gears and pinion for me, but because he is doing this on his off time in the Jeep workshop lol.. I dunno if he will do that or not because of the amount of time it takes to take the cover off and let the RTV dry after putting it on.

Also someone asked what to use for a gasket, you need to get some black RTV Gasket. Its in a tube its a silicon like substance. Get the stuff that holds up to 500f. When you take your cover off use a razor blade to scrap off the old rtv, and put the new stuff on. Put a good layer on too
Unread 11-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

mobil 1 is great. i've used more than a few gallons of the stuff. iirc mopar sources their oils from mobil. almost all of our industrial lubes(way oil, hyd oil, gear oil) come from mobil. mobil makes quality products.

Unread 11-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #12
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Well im just saying what i found on google looking up the mobile 1 LS 75w-140 gear oil.

Anyway i got back from the mechanic, here is the list of whats wrong..

#1. Power steering seal is leaking and needs the pump replaced to fix the leak

#2. The front right caliper 1 of the 2 bolts are stripped and keeps turning, he said this was the major thing on the list. He didnt have the tools to fix it right there, but when we bring it in tomarow or w/e he will try to machine a new thread if there is enough metal so he can go to the next size bolt..

#3. The tires needs to be balenced he said it doesnt look like they have been balenced in ages. He said that could be why im fealing the Jeep virbrate 60mph and higher.

#4. The rear differential fluid looked like the wrong fluid he said, and it was low. The foaming action i saw in it he said was because it was low. He put in the mopar synthetic gear oil and 2 tubes of limited slip additive.

#5. The front brake pads are getting low and the rotors on the back are rusted and to thin to be machined.

One thing that i dont get is when i asked him what gear oil he used was it 75-140 synthetic or something else, he said he just used synthetic the stuff they use in all the cars.... lol well, that has me worried he didnt put 75-140 in it, but whatever. The gear oil was changed i got the additive in it so its done. It amazes me how he said the oil in there looked like the wrong stuff... Stupid *** mechanics who worked on this Jeep at that voltswagen dealership i got the 5.9 from were morons..

So 2 stripped bolts... First was the stripped bolt i found on the transmission pan when i was taking it off to change the filter and fluid.. Now one of the 2 calipers bolts are stripped... Then the rear end oil isnt the right stuff, and the brakes are worn and the rotors are to thin... The work order says they put new brakes on and new rotors on this sucker... I wish i could meet that knucklehead mechanic who worked on this 5.9 before i bought it

Makes me wonder if the 2 CV axles they replaced in the front are actually put in correctly.

Oh well most of those things are minor, except the brake caliper bolt being stripped. Just gatta drive the Jeep like 50 miles to get the new gear oil and additives settled in.... I just hope he put the right oil in, i told him 75w140 he just told me *Oh i used synthetic oil*./ It almost sounded like he was trying to say synthetic doesnt have a grade type.. because everytime i asked him did you use 75-140 he kept saying i used the synthetic stuff, and wouldnt answer me about the weight.
Unread 11-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

well, they don't make synthetic in 80w90...

1. ok, normal
2. can't go to the "next size up" because the bolts and slides for the calipers are matched. either repair with a keensert, helicoil, or get a new knuckle. happens a lot with torque happy mechanics.
3. tires should be balanced every few rotations, runs to about 15-20k per balance
4. volkswagens do have some different gear lubes, it's quite possible
5. rotor specs for grands have a pretty slim window, they usually shouldn't be machined.

the only thing about the front axles you should worry about is the torque on the axle nut. have your mechanic back the nuts off a turn and tighten them back down to 175ftlbs.

Unread 11-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #14
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Well the rotors, when i ment back i mean all 4 rotors behind them like facing toward the inside of the vehicle are rusted he said and thats what could be making the chirping noise im hearing.

Anyway i drove the Jeep up to 60mph just now, and im still hearing and fealing the vibration coming from the back of the jeep, its not a roaring sound... But more like a heavy vibration sound that hurts your ears because its a deep, I'll get the tires balenced and see if its that like he suggested. He said usually vibrations are wheel imbalences.

The high pitched ooooooo noise i mention in my previous threads.. Not sure if you saw those threads, is sorta gone i think. I couldnt really hear it anymore when i let off the gas, however it was still there occasionally. So hopefully this gear oil change helped. Im tight on money but i'll ask him when he tries to fix the caliper bolt if he can check the torque on the cv axle nut like you said to be sure those knuckledraggers at the voltswagen dealership did it right, which im starting to doubt considering the gear oil thing.

Oh i thought 80-90w came in synthetic also, so if thats true then its probably 75-140 he put in. Thats why he had a puzzled face on him when i asked him lol. Hes probably thinking i dont know what im talkin about.. Which i guess i didnt lol.

Yea this mechanic i got is nice, he charged only $50 to do all this.. take the tires off and check the brakes and stuff, check the powersteering leak, and change the differential. He said $40 to fix the stripped bolt on the caliper, but he said he might not be able to fix it. If he cant fix it, what do i do then ? Buy a new one ? Or is this specific part attached to the axle and i need a new axle tube lol ?
Unread 11-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

to the last part, like rat said he will either have to use helicoil (tap out hole to larger size, insert coil with same thread pitch as caliper bolts, and torque and hope it holds) or get a new steering knuckle. The steering knuckle is the part held on by the ball joints, its what the wheel bearing bolts to.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.