Flushing rear brake lines? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Flushing rear brake lines?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
lionshooter
1993 ZJ 

Flushing rear brake lines?

I picked up a donor rear axle and when turned over, the brake lines oozed yellow/gray fluid. I have 2 options. Replace the lines and cylinders from the old axle, or flush and clean the donor parts.
So how can a brake line be flushed effectively and easily? Squirt mineral spirits through them until they run clean?
Never have had to do this before because I tend not to drive through deep rivers.

PS: There was no water in the diff case, only the brake lines.

lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Assuming the steel lines are otherwise in good condition, I'd flush the steel lines with brake cleaner and replace the rubber sections. Mineral spirits might work; I've never checked to make sure that brake fluid dissolves into mineral spirits though and brake cleaner definitely works. I'd also either replace the wheel cylinders / calipers or at least take them apart for a good cleaning and new seals.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

I think you should replace all of the brakeparts that are on the "new" axle including the brakelines its easy now when the axle is not on the jeep.
Never cheap out on stuff that has to do with your brakes, brakeparts are cheap.
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
lionshooter
1993 ZJ 

I've decided to keep my lines because I know they are good and replace the cylinders with new. They aren't very expensive.
lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Lustra

I like the copper/nickel lines.

Yes , the mileage is stored in the PCM , it's only available through a DRB scan, it is irrelevant to 99% of jeepers
What about the other 1%?

Silly Hillbilly
Lustra is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.