Fluids Info - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fluids Info

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-19-2006, 04:33 PM   #1
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Fluids Info

Ive noticed that a lot of people are confused as to what fluids go where. So here is some Fluid info for jeepers.

Any Corrections or additions are more than welcome. I was looking in the FAQ section and couldnt find this info, Perhaps we can add it?

Differentials:

Quadradrive Equipped:
Front differential: 2.5 pints 75W-140 synthetic and 2.5 oz FM
Rear Differential: 4.75 pints 80W-90 for normal duty use or 75W-140 synthetic for heavy

Most open differentials use 80W-90 or 75W-140 synthetic, synthetic is not necessary but it won’t hurt anything if it is used. If your differentials are equipped with LSD’s (limited slip differentials, check your build sheet, also found in the FAQ section) then you must add a Friction Modifier in your Differential along with the synthetic gear lube. Generally, add about 2.5oz – 3oz of FM to your differential with the LSD. Fill differential so that the fluid is to the bottom of the filler hole.

Transfer Cases:
Fill transfer case to bottom of fill hole.

249 – QuadraTrac: ATF+ # (+3 is cheaper and preferred, but +4 will work just fine)

147 – QuadraTrac I: Mopar special dealership fluid only.

247 – QuadraTrac II or QuadraDrive (with vari-lock axels): Mopar Special Dealership fluid only. NO ATF+ #

242 – SelecTrac: ATF+ #

231 – CommandTrac: ATF+ #

*Note* ATF+ is Backward compatible ONLY. Meaning, if originally filled with ATF+2, ATF+3 or ATF+4 will work fine. However, ATF+3 should never be used for anything originally filled with ATF+4. You can add ATF+4 to transmissions that have ATF+3 in it already (in other words, mixing is ok) but never mix 3 into 4.

Transmissions:

ATF+4 is now used in all transmissions manufactured by Chrysler except for 1999 and earlier minivans with the 41TE/AE transmission. This Service Bulletin DOES NOT apply to all AWD transmissions, Sprinter transmissions, Crossfire transmissions and WG bodies equipped with a W5J400 or NAGI transmission (sales code DGJ).

DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF DEXRON FLUID!!

Engine Oil:

Synthetics or Conventional:
Owner’s preference. I’ve heard that you shouldn’t use conventional oil if came equipped from dealer with synthetic, until a certain mileage on the odometer was hit, but I cant remember the numbers. On higher mileage engines synthetics have a tendency to leak out the gaskets and seals. So switching to synthetics for high mileage engines probably isn’t recommended.

Coolant:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...t=coolant+type

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Thanks for the contribution Yardman, I added this to the FAQ's

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
Naturalhoosier
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardman Harry
242 – SelecTrac: ATF+ #
George @ TCU told me to use Synthetic Motor Oil after swapping out my 249 for a 242.

My Ride: 1998 GC Limited
Colorado Jeep Club Member #15
Black Jeep Club Member #1976

Make the world a better place, punch a Boilermaker in the face!!!

Don't blame me...I didn't vote for him.
Naturalhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2006, 08:26 PM   #4
PA 5.9
1998 ZJ 

Motor oil seems to be fine in the 242. Also, any kind of ATF (including Dexron) is good in everything but the 247 which needs the special fluid from the dealer.
PA 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2006, 08:32 PM   #5
slick2570
2003 TJ Wrangler 

tranny fluid..

So, i have a '99 WJ 4.0L and i need to replace my tranny fluid.. What kind do i need? How much do i need? About how much does it cost? Thanks a lot!

-Eric
Unread 10-19-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick2570
So, i have a '99 WJ 4.0L and i need to replace my tranny fluid.. What kind do i need? How much do i need? About how much does it cost? Thanks a lot!

-Eric

Use ATF+4. How much depends on how you plan on changing the fluid. If you are simply going to pull the filter and pan off, then you are probably only going to use about 4-6 quarts. if you do a full flush of the tranny, you will need a lot more. the most common transmission service though is to drop the pan, change the filter and top her back off again. Go to your local auto parts store and they might carry ATF+4 they might not. The dealership will carry it. You can also put ATF+3 in there, thats already in there from the dealer. Your choice.
heres a recent link discussing transmission fluid service, has some good info here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/01-gc-atf-change-automatic-327659/

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~

Last edited by Yardman Harry; 10-19-2006 at 08:56 PM..
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.