Fluid change on 42re-filter gets replaced? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fluid change on 42re-filter gets replaced?

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 09-24-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
my2monkeys
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Fluid change on 42re-filter gets replaced?

Do you guys drop the pan and filter during routing service? This is my wifes 95 zj, it doesn't have a drain plug like my 89 xj aw4. So I usually just suck it out thru dipstick tube. But I'm thinking I probably should drop pan and inspect,it's got 160,000mi on it. And what about band adjustment? Any info would help.

my2monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 12:54 AM   #2
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

AFAIK, a band adjustment is only necessary if you are having symptoms, slipping, etc. If it is shifting fine, the bands are fine. If you're going to drop the pan and replace the filter (which never hurts), it'll be quite messy the first time, but not after that if you install a drain plug kit. I highly recommend doing this.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 01:05 AM   #3
sandman
1993 ZJ 

yea drop the pan, check the magnet for metal pieces and change the filter.
Unread 09-24-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I would recommend draining and replace the ATF & filter. If you are concerned about replacing even more fluid, since draining only removes about half of the volume, then I would replace the ATF twice over a couple a days. This will replace the fluid by dilution. Not the best way but not too bad either. Removing the tranny pan also reveals how much metal has worn away and you get to clean the magnet, and you can replace the filter.
A T25 Torx Hex wrench/bit is needed for the filter removal (at least for ZJs)

If I am using a cork or rubber gasket I do not RTV on it because I install the bolts with a torque wrench (150 in-lbs) But many people use a small bead on the pan side only. Currently I am using a ridge type rubber encapsulate metal gasket. This can be removed and reused a couple times, so never use RTV on this type.

WalMart sells Mopar +4 AFT for $ 4.42/qt

The tranz filter at the dealer is about $ 6

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

I'd change the filter also and continue doing fluid changes the way you have done if you don't want to install a plug.

New fliter and clean the mags and button it up for another 160K
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Adjust the bands at every service. They're a wear part.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Adjust the bands at every service. They're a wear part.
You seem to know about these trannys. The 97 and 98 FSM tells me to back out the adjuster screw for the front band 3-5/8 turns for 42RE and 2-1/4 turns for 44RE. The 96 FSM on the other hand says 2-7/8 turns for both 42 and 44RE.
The numbers for the rear band are 4 turns (97, 98) and 2 turns (96) for both 42/44RE.

Has Chrysler modified these trannies in 97 and hence the different adjustments? Or they simply revised the adjustment numbers in 97?

I adjusted mine yesterday to 3-5/8 turns (front). Haven't tested it yet as my Jeep is undergoing a major overhaul (still in pieces).

Thanks
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2009, 03:19 AM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

There are some modified numbers out there from a few tranny rebuilders that allow for better shifting timings. But following the fsm for each year is correct.

Chrysler changed valve bodies and thus shift parameters nearly every year in these units.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
There are some modified numbers out there from a few tranny rebuilders that allow for better shifting timings. But following the fsm for each year is correct.

Chrysler changed valve bodies and thus shift parameters nearly every year in these units.
Thanks for the info.
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.