Flipper Window doesn't open - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Flipper Window doesn't open

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 07-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Area11
1998 ZJ 

Flipper Window doesn't open

My Flipper window won't open at all. Unlocked, push button in and lift window from handle and nothing happens. The button feels as if the window should open when i press it. I got it like this. Anyone else have this problem or know what I could do to figure it out?

Area11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

OK, I'll bite...what is a flipper window?
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
kachink
1998 ZJ 

The latch for the "flipper window" (on the back of the hatch), is actually operated by a solenoid. There are two switches in the circuit that have to be closed to energize it. One is operated by the push button on the outside of the hatch. The other is a micro switch that is inside the hatch, attached to the latch for the hatch itself and is closed when the hatch is unlocked and opened when it is locked.

I think I remember it being on the same fuse as the rear wiper, so the first thing I'd suggest (because it's the easiest fix) is to see if your rear wiper works and check the fuse if it doesn't. If that's not it, you'll have to take the interior panel off of the hatch to troubleshoot the circuit. When mine didn't work it turned out to be the micro switch on the lower latch gone bad.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
Area11
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachink View Post
The latch for the "flipper window" (on the back of the hatch), is actually operated by a solenoid. There are two switches in the circuit that have to be closed to energize it. One is operated by the push button on the outside of the hatch. The other is a micro switch that is inside the hatch, attached to the latch for the hatch itself and is closed when the hatch is unlocked and opened when it is locked.

I think I remember it being on the same fuse as the rear wiper, so the first thing I'd suggest (because it's the easiest fix) is to see if your rear wiper works and check the fuse if it doesn't. If that's not it, you'll have to take the interior panel off of the hatch to troubleshoot the circuit. When mine didn't work it turned out to be the micro switch on the lower latch gone bad.
The rear wiper works, I have used it. Ill have to take a look at it tomorrow.
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingr98 View Post
OK, I'll bite...what is a flipper window?
An option available that added the ability to have the window in the rear hatch open separately.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
Taz360ZJ

I'm guessing the sensor switch on the latch handle went bad. Pull the lift gate panel off, you will see the back side of the latch in the gate, find the 2 wire harness going to it, in plug it, take a paper clip and jump the truck side of the harness, not the switch. You will know if its the switch when the popper solenoid works. If it does not, you will need to dig in to the popper button, solenoid, and associated wiring. Generally its the lift gate handle switch, all it does is senses the gate is locked & De activates the popper button.
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
An option available that added the ability to have the window in the rear hatch open separately.
I guess that is what I have. I have never heard it called flipper window.

I learned something new, again.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #8
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingr98 View Post
I guess that is what I have. I have never heard it called flipper window.

I learned something new, again.
It was pretty much standard on the Limiteds and a common option on the Laredos. But not all rigs had it either way. Flipper is the street lingo for the " rear hatch operable glass" option.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
Area11
1998 ZJ 

Well i took the panel off and located the 2 wire harness at the bottom latch but im not sure what you mean by jump it. I took a paper clip and connected both poles on tue jeep side and nothing happens.

Unread 07-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
Taz360ZJ

Got voltage at the harness? Got continuity at the switch when it closes the circuit? That grey 2 wire harness above the gate latch is the one I'm talking aboot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.