Flipper glass wont pop open with the button. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Flipper glass wont pop open with the button.

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 09-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
jordan_fehlman
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Flipper glass wont pop open with the button.

Hey guys, my girl friend has a 96 grand cherokee and i wish the flipper glass would work. I've fixed everything on this thing. but the glass.

The wiper works so i know its not the fuse. I took off the back pannel and i can unlach the glass with my fingers, but the button will not work. everything is plugged in.

Any ideas?, maybe a new switch? from a junk yard possibly? Hope its an easy fix.. Thanks

Also i dont have remotes for the jeep. just thought i'd throw that in there.

jordan_fehlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
falco84
1997 ZJ 

You have to test the circuit to find out which of the components is gone. Could be the button, the release solenoid or the limit switch that's faulty. For me it was the limit switch, a sealed microswitch that's riveted to the liftgate lock. When I knocked it off and opened it up, the tiny spring inside was broke. Can't find a replacement anywhere without buying the complete lock assembly! Been driving without it since.

falco84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
jordan_fehlman
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thats the picture of the lift gate latch.. that works.. but im talking about the glass in the liftgate lifting up.. i dont think its the same unit...hmmm but i dont know
Unread 09-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Every once in a while mine will stop working, slowly. It starts off powerful, but it soon slows down and does nothing.
If I press it repeatedly.
So I would assume, seeing as how yours won't open at all, that it is not getting power. This is a dumb question, but are all of the fuses good?
When it opens, manually, do your lights inside turn on?
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
jordan_fehlman
1998 XJ Cherokee 

the fues that it runs off runs the rear wiper, and the rear wiper works.. so its not that, and the wiper goes back to its park position. I dont know about the light coming on when i do it manualy
Unread 09-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
falco84
1997 ZJ 

The black plastic thing with 2 wires coming out of it in the foreground is the limit switch for the liftglass. It's attached to the lock and is activated to close the circuit when the latch moves against it (when it's unlocked). You can unplug the wires at the other end and run a bypass wire to see if it's the switch that's causing the problem.
falco84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.