Flashpaq tuner won't read VIN on 5.9 Limited - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
HR-WT
1998 ZJ 

Flashpaq tuner won't read VIN on 5.9 Limited

I bought a Flashpaq 3875 tuner to reprogram the ECU on my 5.9er to use 87 octane gas. I figured I could live with a little less power for a few months until gas prices go back down.

Anyway, the Flashpaq stalls during initialization every time I try to use it and tells me it can't read the VIN number. I have been in touch with Superchips and am working with them to try to get this resolved, but they keep telling me to take the Jeep to a dealership and have the ECU reprogrammed. Unfortunately, I am on an overseas assignment with the USG and there are no Jeep dealerships where I am living.

Does anyone know of anything I can do/try to make this thing work? I have tried searching the forum, but didn't find anything I thought was relevant.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 12:49 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You spent 300 bucks to save 30 cents per gallon at the pump for a few months? Wouldn't you have to fill your tank like 43 times before you break even on that?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
HR-WT
1998 ZJ 

Read what I said. I am overseas and it is considerably more than $0.30/gallon difference. Unfortunately, in this case, the tuner makes sense.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 01:02 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I think the only thing you could do is send your ecu to get it reflashed then sent back. Or buy another one. I don't think unhooking the battery would help but I would try it anyways. Good luck. What did Super chip say about the compatibility with the performance ecu?
post #5 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
HR-WT
1998 ZJ 

They didn't say anything about it yet. I hadn't even noticed the fact that I had one until recently. The guy who sold the vehicle to me told me the old ECU went bad and he replaced it with the performance one.

I just sent Superchips an email explaining this and asking if there is anything I can do. Your idea about sending an ECU (maybe not the performance one, but a replacement) to a Jeep dealer in the US and having that reflashed with the correct VIN is a good one and I hadn't thought about doing that. But, it looks like this may start adding up in terms of cost and I don't know if it is going to be worth it to me in the long run. I may just return the tuner and cut my losses.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 01:27 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I dunno, having the tuner gives you more flexibility. Especially if you plan on keeping the niner for a long time. The computers aren't too expensive but shipping and all that are probably going to kill it. If you just ordered another "normal" 5.9 ecu I think the tuner would work right? That way you could put the performance ecu back in at your leisure if you ever needed it again. You can try emailing Kolak@aol.com. He is very knowledgeable and would get you pricing on a 5.9 ecu. I have been buying parts from him for years. I also get some tech advice from him quite often when I get in over my head.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

I have a stock 5.9 ecu (P56041519AC) that's yours if you want it. Pulled it from a junkyard vehicle and tried to sell on ebay, but no takers. Can't vouch for the operating condition, and I didn't get the VIN.

Yours for the cost of shipping. PM me if interested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.