Fixing my death wobble, center front axle, help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fixing my death wobble, center front axle, help

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
bigzj
1995 ZJ 

Fixing my death wobble, center front axle, help

So i put on a 2.75" lift ('95 ZJ) and guess who showed up...DW, gotta love it.

So in an effort to fix it, i've gotten it professionally aligned, and my tires balanced. Also put a wrench on everything on that dang front end. Those helped a little, but i think that the root of my problems is caused by not replacing my track when i extended the springs and shocks, so my axle is no longer centered.

I have the JKS adjustable trackbar for my size lift, with the high durometer bushings, from Kevinsoffroad, on order. Also will be putting on the HardKOR steering stabilizer for a little extra dampening on my front end, and the HardKOR steering box brace to tighten it up as much as possible.

So now that we've gotten through all that garbage, heres my thought. Jack the jeep, jackstands under the frame, old trackbar off, let the axle hang and center itself, then adjust the new trackbar to line up with the holes while the axle is self centered and hanging, bolt on and go for a test drive see if it helped.

Will my idea of the hanging method do any good, or is there a simpler/more complicated but more precise way of doing it? All advice is appreciated, especially if you've done a home-brewed lift before, or had the DW and seen it through. Thanks

bigzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

Axle needs to have all the weight on it. Hanging won't work.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
bigzj
1995 ZJ 

So how do i center it then? Just take the trackbar off while its on the ground, and line it up that way?
bigzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
bjl95mustang
1998 ZJ 

Measure how much it is off, jack it up, adjust the bar that much. Put it back doen and measure again. just keep doing that untill it's right.

4.5" Lift: RE 4.5" springs,Iro rear 3.5 springs+1" spacer, RE shocks, All adjustable arms, IRO front track bar and HD bracket, Rear jks track bar, 1-Ton Steering, 242 tc, 33x12.5x15 GoodYear wrangler silent tires, 15" rock crawler rims, Aussie Locker For My 44A, 760X u-joint front axles.

Soon to come Lock Right Front Locker.

Jeep Inferno member #10

Texas Jeep Club Member #78
bjl95mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

If the bolt doesn't want to go in , have someone turn the steering wheel to line it up.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
Unread 05-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The front axle will pretty much center itself naturally.

Once you unbolt the old track bar, bounce the suspension a few times. Then measure to confirm it is centered.

If not centered, back the jeep up 15-20 feet and turn the steering wheel slightly back and forth. Then park the Jeep with the wheels pointing perfectly straight forward so you can measure again.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
1sportsdoc
2010 JK Wrangler 

You can use a small bottle jack between the tire and the frame. If you installed a lift, you probably need to shift the axle toward the passenger side so the bottle jack would go between the passenger tire and the frame , with the base of the jack on the tire side wall (use a thin piece of wood) and the other end between the coil and shock or coil and endlink.
Unread 05-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sportsdoc View Post
You can use a small bottle jack between the tire and the frame. If you installed a lift, you probably need to shift the axle toward the passenger side so the bottle jack would go between the passenger tire and the frame , with the base of the jack on the tire side wall (use a thin piece of wood) and the other end between the coil and shock or coil and endlink.
Using a bottle jack to shift the axle is unecessary.

If you want to shift the axle, its as easy as turning the steering wheel as rugermack mentioned.
Unread 05-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Ratchet straps can be very useful, especially the more lift you have. Naturally centering just don't work all the time. If your by yourself use ratchet straps.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
1sportsdoc
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Using a bottle jack to shift the axle is unecessary.

If you want to shift the axle, its as easy as turning the steering wheel as rugermack mentioned.
Unnecessary unless you're like me and do everything by myself; in which case turning the steering wheel method is a big PITA!
Unread 05-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #11
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
nick62087
1999 WJ 

+1 on guessing on the length, and having someone else turn the wheel while you put in the bolt on the axle side. Done it that way many times no probs.
I also tightened the jamb nut after the bar was on the vehicle.
nick62087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #13
97grandzj

with my 3.5" lift I had to drill a hole 3/4" over for my track bar on the axle, only problem not is my steering wheel is out a litle less than 1/4 turn
97grandzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #14
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virmagicus View Post
Ratchet straps can be very useful, especially the more lift you have. Naturally centering just don't work all the time. If your by yourself use ratchet straps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sportsdoc View Post
Unnecessary unless you're like me and do everything by myself; in which case turning the steering wheel method is a big PITA!
Good points, I totally forgot about when you are working by yourself.

I should know better. I have rear brakes that have needed bled for a few days now because I have no help and none of the tools to do it by myself.
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #15
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Good points, I totally forgot about when you are working by yourself.

I should know better. I have rear brakes that have needed bled for a few days now because I have no help and none of the tools to do it by myself.
Buy one of those little vacuum bleeders.

Built Not Bought #257

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.