Fixing lazy PCM. New caps writeup. - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fixing lazy PCM. New caps writeup.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 02-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #76
greyhnd
1996 ZJ 

You might look at www.parts-express.com for replacement caps, although they specialize in in audio type capacitors. When repairing vintage stereo gear I like using erse brand caps. They're made in the USA and I've never had one fail. If I'm not mistaken, their caps will be fine for automotive applications.

greyhnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #77
elkski
1993 ZJ 

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...al%20capacitor

It does seem like they have the 105C caps.. ordered 10. shipping was 4 times the price of caps
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #78
elkski
1993 ZJ 

Glad to hear that the 3 caps fixed this for many of you guys. It didnt fix my no start issue that had the same symptoms th... My symptoms sounded the same no fuel pump on.. Kid has had to leave key on 10 seconds to start for the last 6 months.. I had the caps here 105C ones. Pretty easy fix but still no start.. I think it is a PCM because if I put in a Junk yard one that may be a 96 or from a jeep that had security starts fine and pump goes on at key on but engine dies like it is shut off of air or fuel. at 3 seconds...
Unread 06-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #79
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkski View Post
Glad to hear that the 3 caps fixed this for many of you guys. It didnt fix my no start issue that had the same symptoms th... My symptoms sounded the same no fuel pump on.. Kid has had to leave key on 10 seconds to start for the last 6 months.. I had the caps here 105C ones. Pretty easy fix but still no start.. I think it is a PCM because if I put in a Junk yard one that may be a 96 or from a jeep that had security starts fine and pump goes on at key on but engine dies like it is shut off of air or fuel. at 3 seconds...
This write up is for the earlier PCMs from 93-95 (OBD1). The 93-95 PCMS are not interchangeable with > 95 (OBD2).

IIRC the security easily reset on OBD1 . Maybe some else has a clue.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #80
elkski
1993 ZJ 

I was mistaken my Junk yard PCM must have been from a 93-95 but one with security.. Someone on another thread told me I could have grounded the purple wire in the pass door and fooled this PCM??? I got a rebuild PCM for under 180$ shipped one from computer exchange in Florida... all is working now.
Unread 06-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #81
ElTejano
1997 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyn0mitemat View Post
I had the exact problems described in this thread in my 98 zj (3 plug pcm) and I pulled it apart with no luck. There was only one cap in it and it tested good.

Ended up replacing it and everythings been bliss since.
The 98 is a different ECM. There is a thread on how to fix that one on this forum.
ElTejano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #82
ChudleyOne
1994 ZJ 

Thanks for this thread! I'm in the process applying this fix to my 94 GC after getting the wrong ECM as a replacement. For those looking for heavier-duty capacitors, Digi-Key sells an automotive rated 220uF 25V capacitor for $.99 each that are rated for 5000 hours at 125C, a bit higher than the 85C & 105C caps mentioned on this thread. Some of you may not need it that high, but I live in Phoenix & wanted to be 100% certain that heat wouldn't be an issue.
ChudleyOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #83
fotonm

I have a 94 Grand cherokee with over 200k miles on it. I actually had 2 problems and this solved one of mine. This started out as a problem for me and was an on and off problem for a while. I chased my tail on it. first I thought it was a clogged fuel filter....then possibly a fuel pump issue. I had swapped out all the relays over and over. it used to take like 5 seconds to 30 seconds for it to come on then it got to be several minutes for the relays to click. Then I got a few times it actually shut off going down the road. I went down to RS and got the 3 caps and it starts up right away now...... I went through so many forums trying to find a solution... I was narrowing it down to the ECM and was dreading spending 300 bucks on one. for under 5 bucks it solved the starting problem. Thanks for the posting of this up.
fotonm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #84
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Gonna be fixing a friends 95 in the next few days but wanted to post up an updated link to the capacitors for anyone else who needs it. These also have a 20 degree celcius higher temp rating than even the stock ones do so they should hold up to pretty much anything short of a engine fire!

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...7-1-ND/2650337
Unread 11-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #85
rebeltrucker
1994 ZJ 

update on the Item from radio shack #12447354 Web Only
NTE VHT220M35 - CAP-220MF 35V 105*C RAD.
rebeltrucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #86
RedGuru
1995 ZJ 

Replaced my caps today during my lunch break, ordered the caps from Digi-Key as above and got them in two days. This is the kind of fix I enjoy, as a DOD Electronics Technician and Micro-miniature soldering tech.
RedGuru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #87
papitt
1995 ZJ 

... I;m going to subscribe to this. Great information .. I hope I don't need it but if I do it's here .
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #88
phillyeaglekgd
1995 ZJ 

Just did this fix - didn't help! Jeep still starts and runs for 1 second then dies. Any ideas?!
phillyeaglekgd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #89
prisonface
2004 FSJ Cherokee 

Hey Thanks guys! I relpaced the caps in my 94 Dodge B250 conversion van. (I know its an old van but it is great for hauling my keyboard and amps to band jobs) I had been turning the key on an hour before I needed it to let the pcm and caps warm up. That is the only way it would start when outside temp was below 50 f. Thanks to your forum and photos I bought 3 new caps here in Maryland Heights, mo at Gateway Electronics. 2 of em were 220 uf and one was 470 uf. they were 50 cent each, caulked with clear silicone. It now will start in any weather! It is so nice to have it running great again. Thanks again and that was after I had sifted through hours of blogs and forums. I am always amazed at the advice people are willing to give when they don't know what they are talking about. Your worked!
Danny Mills
St Louis, Mo
prisonface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #90
DirtDodd
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyeaglekgd View Post
Just did this fix - didn't help! Jeep still starts and runs for 1 second then dies. Any ideas?!
That sounds like a security issue. I've been trying to diagnose my no fire issue, and I have read some about the security issues keeping them from staying running. Do a little searching and you should find info related to that. Hope you figure it out soon if you haven't already.
DirtDodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.