Fixing lazy PCM. New caps writeup. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fixing lazy PCM. New caps writeup.

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 03-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #46
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyn0mitemat View Post
I had the exact problems described in this thread in my 98 zj (3 plug pcm) and I pulled it apart with no luck. There was only one cap in it and it tested good.

Ended up replacing it and everythings been bliss since.
Did you re-solder the pins to the 4 connectors to the board?

JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #47
classicmetalman

Quote:

Ended up replacing it and everythings been bliss since.
Did you replace the cap or the whole PCM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #48
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS97ZJ View Post
Did you re-solder the pins to the 4 connectors to the board?
No, everywhere I looked and asked they said it wasn't worth messing with the newer (98) 3 plug pcm's because there wasn't anything I could do to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicmetalman View Post
Did you replace the cap or the whole PCM?
The pcm
Dyn0mitemat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #49
classicmetalman

Thanks DynO,
Care to drop the name of the company you got your PCM from?

Quote:
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #50
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicmetalman View Post
Thanks DynO,
Care to drop the name of the company you got your PCM from?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123
Thats the auction I won. Had to send core back in, but it has lifetime warranty
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #51
classicmetalman

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123
Thats the auction I won. Had to send core back in, but it has lifetime warranty
Thank you. Glad you got your problem solved

Quote:
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #52
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Yup, was a PITA trying to find out what it was though. Best part too was that I just bought the truck and drove it out of this guys driveway and about 2 hours later it dies and wouldn't start. Didn't have fuel, nothing back there, so I bought a fuel pump on the way home from work, and luckily figured I'd try to see if there was power back there for the pump, and saw it wasn't getting power.
Took the pump back...
I didn't know what to do at that point, I check fuses and wires etc, thinking something electrical went.
Decided to see if I was getting spark, and I wasn't getting that either. Decided it was the cps (crank position sensor).
Bought one of those, and when I was about to install it, it dawned on me that it couldn't be that, because it wouldn't cut fuel when you turn the key on (when it normally 'primes' the fuel pump). As even if the sensor was bad, when the engine is stopped (as in, before you turn the key to start, having it in the on position) it doesn't relay anything to the pcm anyway, so it wouldn't matter.

Decided to get pcm ordered.
Whats odd though, is it was on/off a few times. Twice it randomly started, we thought it was just a loose wire or connection somewhere from messing in the engine bay. It would run like a champ, and then come out of the store and it wouldn't start.
Put the new pcm in and she started right up though. No problems since
Unread 03-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #53
Garryjav

been over a year since i fixed mine with the radio shack parts and its stil working everyday
Garryjav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #54
neonhomer
1996 ZJ 

There has to be a way to dissolve that damn potting material. If I could get that stuff off, it would be easier to try to track down problems on the board. Most likely, a majority of all PCM failures are from a component failure, not a IC failure....
neonhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #55
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

digelsil silicone remover

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...ners_zrpm.html
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 01:34 AM   #56
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ok Ive gotten to the point where I have cut away at the gel around the old Caps and where they are soldered to the board. I have the Radio Shack caps in hand. My question is, how do I determine which side is negative, and which is positive?
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 05:59 AM   #57
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

One of the two leads to the cap is longer. This is usually the positive.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #58
LagartoJuancho
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Polarity

Also, the caps have the polarity printed in their plastic sleeve. Usually a band of different color that runs through the cap and has either a bunch of dashes (indicating that side's lead is negative) or pluses.

Use what's printed on the cap to be replaced as reference (assuming you haven't pulled it out yet) and just stick the new cap in the same orientation.
LagartoJuancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #59
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagartoJuancho View Post
Also, the caps have the polarity printed in their plastic sleeve. Usually a band of different color that runs through the cap and has either a bunch of dashes (indicating that side's lead is negative) or pluses.

Use what's printed on the cap to be replaced as reference (assuming you haven't pulled it out yet) and just stick the new cap in the same orientation.
Ok thanks! My OBD1 board is slightly different then the one originally pictured. It has a steel heat sink instead of an aluminum one.

I think I can figure out the +/- on the replacements, but is there any way to tell on the board if I have already pulled one out? If I have the board in one position, and lets say determine the left side of cap #1 is positive. Can I assume the 2 others are left side positive aswell???
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #60
LagartoJuancho
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaubinoe View Post
Ok thanks! My OBD1 board is slightly different then the one originally pictured. It has a steel heat sink instead of an aluminum one.

I think I can figure out the +/- on the replacements, but is there any way to tell on the board if I have already pulled one out? If I have the board in one position, and lets say determine the left side of cap #1 is positive. Can I assume the 2 others are left side positive aswell???
Not really. You have to evaluate each cap you're replacing individually.
LagartoJuancho is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.