fixed length control arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > fixed length control arms

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
jnjtrevino
1994 ZJ 

fixed length control arms

i am looking at buying the IRO fixed length lower arms front and rear. my question is can i get away with only the lowers or do i have to have the adjustable uppers too?

94 ZJ 3.5 benchmark lift, .75 coil spacers 31 x 10.50, rear adjustable track bar

Unread 07-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

You can do only lowers. I ran only lowers for a while before doing the longarms.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjtrevino View Post
i am looking at buying the IRO fixed length lower arms front and rear.
I'm gonna say this is a mistake for any lift . Buy adjustables for the extra $50ea pr.
1) Adjustability for larger tires and to go higher if desired
2) Re-sale value and ease of sale if upgrading
3) IRO's fixed arms are not a beefy as the adjustables . (I have fixed on my stock 5.9 , Adjustables on my Comanche) Strength ? I'm sure they are comparable
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 04:44 AM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

The threaded area on adjustable contol arms significantly compromises strength. That is why adjustables tend to look more beefy.

At the very least you need one pair of adjustables on the rear in order to dial in the pinion angle. Up to about 3" or so, the existing cam bolt adjustment on the front axle can be used to dial in caster/pinion angle and you can get away with fixed length.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control arm , death wobble

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.