to fix my transmission or replace? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-28-2013, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
JeepDaddy1993
2000 XJ Cherokee 

to fix my transmission or replace?

okay so I have been having some problems with my tranny as of late. no reverse but acts as if ts under load and only revs to 1500rpm but goes nowhere, neutral goes forward but only revs to 1500rpm, and has been shift strangely through gears and has been taking much too long to shift but it has been shifting somewhat strange for a month or two before I lost reverse and neutral. I've checked my linkage and adjusted the kickdown cable but no dice. Ive dropped my pan since I haven't been driving it and did not see anything serious except for a few very very small pieces of almost copper looking material but nothing I would say is very alarming although I don't know much of transmissions, the fluid was still red and didn't smell burnt so I have no clue as to why my transmission is doing this. The only abuse this thing has seen in months was the day my sons mother and I split up I did some rather spirited driving and since then it started to act up. otherwise it hasn't seen any mud or trails in months. sound like something fixable or is it toast? and if I do go the JY route to get a transmission which trannys besides other 96-98 grand Cherokees work in my jeep? will a Wj transmission work in mine as long as it is a 4.0 4x4 tranny? and what should I do while there before I just start dropping transmissions hoping they work. is there anything I can do to check them somewhat first? any and all help appreciated greatly. also the owner before the guy I bought it from did a tranny flush for what I'm assuming was the first time at around 150k with amsoil tranny fluid from what I was told and ive come to find recently that our trannys don't like anything but atf+4 so im guessing that could be a possible cause of this but again not to sure since trannys aren't my forte. thanks again for any help guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-28-2013, 12:17 PM
KJK
1998 ZJ 

I'd try adjusting the bands. The rear band applies the reverse gear and it could be so loose as to not be effective anymore.

5.9 ZJ SCT tuned PCM/ KJK CAI/ Thorley headers with 3" Magnaflow cat and muffler/ Modded kegger/ TransGo shift kit/ Vanco brake kit/ Braided steel brake lines/ Mopar cupholder insert!
post #3 of 5 Old 08-28-2013, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
JeepDaddy1993
2000 XJ Cherokee 

you know I don't know why that wasn't one of the other things I tried before doing all of this. im gonna go give that a shot in a few... I now feel like a bit of an idiot. are there any tools in specific I may need to adjust the bands?

post #4 of 5 Old 08-28-2013, 02:23 PM
KJK
1998 ZJ 

No really special tools needed but to adjust the rear band (which is the reverse band) you need to drop the pan unfortunately. The front band adjuster has a square end that you'd need a special socket for. A splined socket would work but a 6 or 12-point won't. An open end wrench can be used but you'll have to feel for the correct inch-pound torque to apply (around 72 in. lbs.).
I don't think it's too fussy really (although others will surely disagree). You just want to snug the band down on the drum a little and then back it off the proper number of turns. It will surely be better than whatever it is after so long without an adjustment.

5.9 ZJ SCT tuned PCM/ KJK CAI/ Thorley headers with 3" Magnaflow cat and muffler/ Modded kegger/ TransGo shift kit/ Vanco brake kit/ Braided steel brake lines/ Mopar cupholder insert!
post #5 of 5 Old 08-28-2013, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
JeepDaddy1993
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the help im going out to do that now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.