fit 33s with minimal lift - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > fit 33s with minimal lift

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #31
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
My new niner trans ended up being new mopar, we couldn't find anything else that was worth it.
How much did that run you?

BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #32
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I don't remember what the break down was. I ended up being out the door with new to me engine (tested w/ warranty) and new mopar trans for $5k

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #33
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
I don't remember what the break down was. I ended up being out the door with new to me engine (tested w/ warranty) and new mopar trans for $5k
Ouch.. I can't afford nothing like that!
BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #34
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

33's will fit on just a BB with either trimming, or bump stopping to. one way or another you gotta keep them out of the fenders.

i chose the cut to fit method with no extra bumpstopping and ran 34's on a BB'd Up country ZJ for a while. Acutally, the same jeep is getting 36's very soon still on the same lift.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #35
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered
33's will fit on just a BB with either trimming, or bump stopping to. one way or another you gotta keep them out of the fenders.

i chose the cut to fit method with no extra bumpstopping and ran 34's on a BB'd Up country ZJ for a while. Acutally, the same jeep is getting 36's very soon still on the same lift.
I don't see this ending well ::cringe::
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #36
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concolour View Post
It won't, and we know it.

there is a D44 and 14ff waiting to go in, but figured might was well fully finish off the d30/35 before they are removed. The jeep gets one last hoorah as a jeep before it is hacked up and tubed out.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 05-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #37
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concolour

I am getting the same set up, ill stay at 31s. Id like to be able to flex.
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #38
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
I myself really don't see a point in going sky-high to fit something like 33s or 35s. My ideal setup would be around 3" lift on long arms (rear double triangulated, front 3-link), enough chopping & modifications on the wheel wells and 35s or 37. It can be done nicely and cleanly, but that'd certainly require quite a bit of sheetmetal work

I drove my ZJ with 1.75" BB and 32s for a couple months without major mods to fenders, and didn't rub at all. I adjusted the WB a little (~1.5" stretch at both ends). I then partially rebuilt the wheelwells, I could now easily run 33s, and 35s with ~1"-2" more bumpstopping (in which case I'd have a bit too little uptravel in front, so a 1"-2" lift would do some good).

Currently still running 1.75" BB and 32s, can't say the flex is limited at all..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #39
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Good christ thats a sexy looking niner.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #40
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Good christ thats a sexy looking niner.
That was before the front bumper was fully completed. It looks better now

But thanks!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #41
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
I am getting the same set up, ill stay at 31s. Id like to be able to flex.
still had full suspension cycle on 34's, though with liberal fender mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
I myself really don't see a point in going sky-high to fit something like 33s or 35s. My ideal setup would be around 3" lift on long arms (rear double triangulated, front 3-link), enough chopping & modifications on the wheel wells and 35s or 37. It can be done nicely and cleanly, but that'd certainly require quite a bit of sheetmetal work

I drove my ZJ with 1.75" BB and 32s for a couple months without major mods to fenders, and didn't rub at all. I adjusted the WB a little (~1.5" stretch at both ends). I then partially rebuilt the wheelwells, I could now easily run 33s, and 35s with ~1"-2" more bumpstopping (in which case I'd have a bit too little uptravel in front, so a 1"-2" lift would do some good).

Currently still running 1.75" BB and 32s, can't say the flex is limited at all..
Agreed, LCOG is great. On the 95 i mentioned above it will stay on about 3" of lift on the 36's, granted it is getting full widths and the exact suspension you listed ( double Tri 4 link rear and 3 link front) but keeping only 3" of lift, though it is losing nearly the entire body however.

I only run 3" of lift with 38.5's on my k5 blazer, and only what i consider light fender trimming and no rubbing what soever.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 05-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #42
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
still had full suspension cycle on 34's, though with liberal fender mods.
Yup, that's one of the things I'm missing
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #43
misfit4lo
1995 ZJ 

God I love cutting sheet metal.
misfit4lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #44
spidermonkey
1998 ZJ 

Fit is a relative term. It entirely depends on what you use it for.

I wheel mine moderately hard, flex a lot, big rocks, tight trails.

Use stock wheels with 1.25 spacers or 7" wide wheels with 3.75 backspacing. with 33x10.5s. 8" wheels with 12.5s can work but it is harder. I know.

I cut and folded the rear half of the pass side rear wheel lip, (behind the tire inside the wheel well), or the tire will catch it and cut it up like I did. Driver side not an issue. No bump stops required in back if you have a stock axle. it will tuck a 10.5. With the narrower 8.8 and 33s they will tuck a 12.5" in the wheel well lip barely.
Cut the front fender about half way up the stock stamped flare of the fender.
Remove front inner fenders. It works good but all the crap that flies off the tires now gets in your door hinges. A minor side-effect.

Cut slits in the pinch seam at the rear of the front wheel well.
At the front of the front wheel well, trim and trim the obstructing inner fender support as needed, but no more.

Bump stop just enough so the tire doesn't grab the fender or inner when the tire is all the way up in the wheelwell. I used 2 hockey pucks RTVed, plus the factory stops. Don't laugh, work perfect and cheap!

lift it 3-3.5" any less will hit the accurate bump stops just hitting street bumps. You would have 2" or less of up travel. You can get away with less lift if it is a pavement queen or you like a crappy ride. I am picky as all hell and it took me 4 years to figure it out.

In my 9 years of wheeling, 31s with stock gears will almost always go were a rig on 33's can but the guy on 31's doesn't need new gears, a new rear axle, or to chop the hell out of his rig. I have no regrets, but it would be easier to stay on 31s.

Good luck!

My driveway build here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/spidermonkeys-98-zj-build-716209/
speedo reading x spd gear tooth count/gps speed = new spd gear for dead on accuracy
North Shore Wheelers www.nsw4x4.com
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #45
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermonkey
Fit is a relative term. It entirely depends on what you use it for.

I wheel mine moderately hard, flex a lot, big rocks, tight trails.

Use stock wheels with 1.25 spacers or 7" wide wheels with 3.75 backspacing. with 33x10.5s. 8" wheels with 12.5s can work but it is harder. I know.

I cut and folded the rear half of the pass side wheel lip back or the tire will catch it and cut it up like I did. Driver side not an issue. No bump stops required in back if you have a srock axle. it will tuck a 10.5. With the narrower 8.8 and 33s they will tuck a 12.5" in the wheel well lip barely.
Cut the front fender about half way up the stock stamped flare of the fender.
Remove front inner fenders. It works good but all the crap that flies off the tires now gets in your door hinges. A minor side-effect.

Cut slits in the pinch seam at the rear of the front wheel well.
At the front of the front wheel well, trim and trim the obstructing inner fender support as needed, but no more.

Bump stop just enough so the tire doesn't grab the fender or inner when the tire is all the way up in the wheelwell. I used 2 hockey pucks RTVed, plus the factory stops. Don't laugh, work perfect and cheap!

lift it 3-3.5" any less will hit the accurate bump stops just hitting street bumps. You would have 2" or less of up travel. You can get away with less lift if it is a pavement queen or you like a crappy ride. I am picky as all hell and it took me 4 years to figure it out.

In my 9 years of wheeling, 31s with stock gears will almost always go were a rig on 33's can but the guy on 31's doesn't need new gears, a new rear axle, or to chop the hell out of his rig. I have no regrets, but it would be easier to stay on 31s.

Good luck!
You sir, just made my life easier.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.