First time Jeep owner checking in. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > First time Jeep owner checking in.

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #16
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

For suspension if you're not lifting, start with new shocks all around, new CA's up front and maybe in the back, sway bar links and bushings.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #17
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
For suspension if you're not lifting, start with new shocks all around, new CA's up front and maybe in the back, sway bar links and bushings.
I appreciate this guidance, I am currently draining the engine oil and peeked underneath for the first time and these areas where the exact places that were most worn.

I'd like to lift and if I did I would do the baby boost so I'd need shocks to accommodate that.

Curious if you have any specific recommendation on a cost effective shock? This Jeep will not see any high speed, or rock terrain etc, just pavement and maybe some amateur dirt here in NYC if I can find anything.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
StrateLOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #18
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

lower control arm bushings look shot

sway bar endlinks are toast

balljoints appear acceptable to me

I'm just not sure if the above is supposed to look like this or if parts are missing.

these bars looked good, no tears and they're greasable

Unread 04-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #19
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The axle shaft looks fine, you've got U'joints so no boots.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #20
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

changed front diff fluid yesterday
rear diff fluid today

also just finished this, tb and iacv cleanup

this thing turned copper

Unread 04-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #21
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

p041 code came up the other day, so I checked the fuses and all good, next up was the wiring for any breaks and I find this( I unplugged and brought the harness to the drivers side)

hard to focus the iPhone camera.

I went under to do the transfer case so I did this too, these breaks were touching behind the tape and stuff.

I fixed the wiring, rerouting and reconnected it, topped off the TC with ATF.

Transfer case moves much easily now inside the cab but my CEL code is still on since I didn't clear it or disconnect the battery due to the kill switch.

The short may have fried the o2 though but I'll clear the code tomorrow.

I also adjusted my TV cable which was way on the lazy shift side, haven't drove it yet but I will tonight when I go to AutoZone for some relays for the PDC.

Also fixed my interior lighting not working, put the fuse in and they wouldn't shut down no matter what but I fixed that and they're working perfect.

Unread 04-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #22
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrateLOSS
p041 code came up the other day, so I checked the fuses and all good, next up was the wiring for any breaks and I find this( I unplugged and brought the harness to the drivers side)

hard to focus the iPhone camera.

I went under to do the transfer case so I did this too, these breaks were touching behind the tape and stuff.

I fixed the wiring, rerouting and reconnected it, topped off the TC with ATF.

Transfer case moves much easily now inside the cab but my CEL code is still on since I didn't clear it or disconnect the battery due to the kill switch.

The short may have fried the o2 though but I'll clear the code tomorrow.

I also adjusted my TV cable which was way on the lazy shift side, haven't drove it yet but I will tonight when I go to AutoZone for some relays for the PDC.

Also fixed my interior lighting not working, put the fuse in and they wouldn't shut down no matter what but I fixed that and they're working perfect.

How did you fix the interior lights? I noticed mine flicker and dim and get brighter etc... Was it a fuse?

www.youtube.com/pharis88

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1...hread-1507279/
PHARIS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #23
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Your cel will stay on for a specific number of on-off key cycles,i dont know how many
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #24
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHARIS88 View Post
How did you fix the interior lights? I noticed mine flicker and dim and get brighter etc... Was it a fuse?
First I put in the fuse then they wouldn't shut off.

Then I traced down that down to the rear hatch light being pushed it. Wouldn't shut off.

Then the dimmer switch was on blast, finally shut off.

Then flickered when my headlights were on, traced it down to the rear passenger side door. Adjusted the button and all good now.

Unread 04-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #25
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
Your cel will stay on for a specific number of on-off key cycles,i dont know how many
I see, I was impatient so I had it cleared earlier, it's off right now so I'm playing the wait game to see if it comes back on or what and what code it throws. If it's the same code then I know the break in the wires fried the o2 sensor and I will replace it.

Unread 05-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #26
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

did a lot of work these past days

dropped the pan, changed the filter, added a drainbolt, and poured in badly needed ATF.

changed the o ring on the iacv

sparkplug and wire set

also adjusted the tv band

Jeep is coming along nicely, tomorrow I *may* check the female pins on the ecu harness connector, I can stall the Jeep by pushing on the gray plug.

I'm not having stalling issues other than me messing with the harness so I may just ziptie it, would love some pictures on how people accomplished this.

Unread 05-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #27
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

I had an exhaust rattle I wanted to get rid of, I went to autozone and got a generic hanger to replace the brittle one underneath.

That partially removed the rattle(well the creeking), I was getting noise from the actual muffle itself. So I went to tighten the clamps on the muffler, it snapped.

So I snapped the rest off thinking I'd hammer out the muffler from the cat and rear pipe and replace it since the muffler is bent anyway, didn't happen.

The metals are fuzed together, so now no clamps. Well turns out that got rid of almost all my exhaust rattle. Good: no rush for a muffler.

I then wrapped it up on the Jeep early and didn't get to do the ecu harness cleaning and pin adjustment/ ziptie mod. Swapped suspension and rear sway bar on my friends Civic Si instead.

Unread 05-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #28
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

So today I get to the Jeep and it barely started after long cranks, sputtered until it de-flooded itself, idled a few seconds then cutoff.

Did this 2 more times until it finally decided to stay on, but it threw the CEL. 5 codes, oh well.

Got back home and did this

removed ecu, cleaned the pins with electronic cleaner, cleaned the harness, fixed up the female pins on the harness a little, then reinstalled everything nice and tight.

I ziptied the gray harness since that was the culprit, I use two zip ties to doubly secure it. The other two harnesses gave me no issues but ai gave them a ziptie each for good measure.

Jeep is running really really good right noe. Gas gauge isn't on/off anymore, idle kicked down 100 rpm almost.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.