First time Jeep owner checking in. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > First time Jeep owner checking in.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 04-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

First time Jeep owner checking in.

Picked this Jeep up as a toy from a coworker for a good price. It's in pretty rough shape but the essentials are good.

-no rot
-interior and exterior almost complete
-zero modifications
-engine appears good and healthy

will post more info soon.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

StrateLOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

Front bumper is held on by bungee's

The headlights are all faded and misaligned as well, I did some disassembly up front to try and sort it all out and here's what I found.

-The headlight mounting plate is cracked at the passenger side due to a previous accident, so it's loose and out of alignment and cannot be aligned.
-The sheetmetal behind the mount panel on the bottom was dented up a bit contributing to the misalignment as well. As was the front crash bar.

I straightened it out some and is now much better.

I also sprayed it black so it doesn't look as bad as it does there.

After a carwash at the local gas station.

The battery terminals are pretty horrible so I'm replacing with marine terminals.

I didn't have any new wire leads at that moment so I used to previously used ones I had and only did the negative terminal. I now have new, better quality wire leads so I can redo the negative and replace the positive as well later on today.

Other than topping off the engine and trans fluids and degreasing the engine(was pretty disgusting) I haven't done anything yet to it.

Not sure on any plans for it so I'm taking it day by day.

Unread 04-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

note that the hood is open in the washed photo it isn't badly misaligned like that.

Unread 04-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

I just picked up a ZJ just like that couple weeks ago! I bought it it had cracked headlights busted up bumper cover, held on by zip ties, and replaced the mount that holds on the grill and headlights.

New OEM headlights were about $50
New mount was about $50-60ish
I took off the front bumper completely and spray painted the metal bumper black like you did
Also, had a can of VHT night Shades laying around and started playing around with tinting the blinkers

The driver side headlight, was busted and one of the attachments for the headlight wasn't there so my driver side is still missing one connection piece so it's not perfect but WAY better than before
photo-3-.jpg   photo-3-2-.jpg   photo-5.jpg  

www.youtube.com/pharis88

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1...hread-1507279/
PHARIS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

yours is looking really clean good job man.

My crash bar is bent so I can't run it they way you have right now since it won't look so clean. Yours also appears to be my same plum color.

My front bumper is off at the moment though since I plastidipped it to clean it up, looks pretty good. I'm going to be doing the other plastic trim in plastidip too either today or over the weekend.

I need to order that mount soon along with the lights I found them online at similar prices to what you got. Local junkyard wanted $75 for the mount and $75 for each side for the headlight package. $225 for used or $120 ish for new, obviously I'm getting new.

Unread 04-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

If you want to restore the plastic without painting a lil trick you can do is 50% boiled linseed oil 50% paint thinner mix it and apply. But do a seach on here about it first. Can be flammable and hard to get off paint.
Unread 04-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

thanks for that headsup.

any idea what this is ?

Unread 04-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrateLOSS View Post
thanks for that headsup.

any idea what this is ?

Could that be for the coolant level sensor?
Unread 04-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
EBrunson
1996 ZJ 

I'll guess, IAT sensor????
EBrunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrateLOSS View Post
thanks for that headsup.

any idea what this is ?

That looks like the plug that goes into the headlights / fog lights lol, but that's not in the front so i have no idea?

And yeah same plum color, but mine has faded paint on the roof and hood, I'm planning on blacking it out, got a body who owns a paint shop, that I am able to use after hours ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormer1092 View Post
If you want to restore the plastic without painting a lil trick you can do is 50% boiled linseed oil 50% paint thinner mix it and apply. But do a seach on here about it first. Can be flammable and hard to get off paint.

Wow I may try that tomorrow b/c I have some linseed oil and paint thinner in the garage ha some antique "old south" metal jugs with some still in there! I'll put them to use!

www.youtube.com/pharis88

Unread 04-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormer1092 View Post
Could that be for the coolant level sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBrunson View Post
I'll guess, IAT sensor????
I don't think so because all those sensors are connected already. This is above the ECU/PCM box.

It may be some sort of AUX like Pharris says. Gotta google some graphs.

I cleaned up my terminals with better leads and did the positive said as well, didn't take a pic as the factory kill switch was not letting me start up the Jeep.

Unread 04-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #12
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

the voltage gauge on the dash now goes a hair passed 14, prior to replacement it hovered around 13ish.

overall best $5 you can spend on an older vehicle.

Unread 04-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

Jeep update

fixed the lights

straightened out the bumper, also dipped it

custom meshed and dipped my grill

then I installed it, and compounded the headlights.

then I dipped the passenger side beater moldings

Unread 04-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Nice!! I still need to do the grill on mine, and I have an IRO lift I need to install everything is still in the box ha

www.youtube.com/pharis88

Unread 04-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

The chicken wire I used is too thin in my opinion, too bad since I'm definitely not redoing it. I still plan on getting a new backing plate, lights and a grill once I decide on what to do with the Jeep.

I've been reading so much about the driveline and seem sort of intimidated by where to start on the suspension rehab.

Today I got engine oil 10w40 Syntech High Mileage, an orange Fram filter, 2 quarts of Syntech ATF+4 for the transfer case, and a 5qt jug of Syntech 80w90 for the diff's.

I also changed the front wipers and put on a steering wheel cover to clean things up, it slipped my mind to get a wiper for the rear though.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.