First thread and really need some help please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > First thread and really need some help please

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 12-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
crgeltn
1995 ZJ 

First thread and really need some help please

I just purchased a 1995 grand cherokee orvis 4.0 awd. My family really needed this vehicle as my truck just died and my wife and I needed something to get back and forth to work. Yes, times are tough and we will have to share, dropping each other off and such. Long story short, I looked at it, drove it around a parking lot, rebuilt motor, rebuilt tranny,(have paperwork) all the fluids looked ok, ect... Scraped up the last bit of cash we have to buy it. Drive it home and of course really loud whine from the left front when driven over 30 mph. Too bad I did not go any faster around the lot! Any idea of what is is? Very expensive fix? Also, can I drive this thing safely without the front driveshaft for a while if that makes a difference? Like I said, we are basically out of cash for now and screwed if we can not use this thing! I really could use any advise/help please.

crgeltn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #2
Turbonut

I've never tried that, but here is some reading, but guess you better have a good/working e-brake:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...eshaft-327619/

Front driveshaft removal for sure? - North American Grand Cherokee Association

Driving without front driveshaft? - Car Forums and Automotive Chat

If it is in the front/wheel, removing the shaft won't change the noise, but at least it will be a good test.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

If it's for sure whining from the front left, it's most likely the hub bearing. Jack up the front of the Jeep and grab the tire. Wiggle it back and forth to see if there's any play in the hub.
Unread 12-08-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
If it's for sure whining from the front left, it's most likely the hub bearing. Jack up the front of the Jeep and grab the tire. Wiggle it back and forth to see if there's any play in the hub.
x2 on what JrMechanic said. Try to move the wheel side to side, and up and down with that side jacked up. If there's any play, then your hub bearing assembly is shot.

Not too difficult a fix, but you'll definitely want a big a** cheater/breaker bar to help.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
troys96xj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Drive it and turn the wheel left then right . If the noise is louder one way and goes away the other way then its that wheel bearing. Left turn louder then its the right , if louder in right turn then its the left. About $50 on E-bay and pretty easey to do. Good luck.
troys96xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
highlyuncntered
1998 ZJ 

Most likely the wheel bearings. I picked up a set of u-joint front axle shafts with bearings for $35 at the JY. Both sides.

'98 ZJ Limited V8 "Daisy"
highlyuncntered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
crgeltn
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for all of your replies. Just came back from the shop this morning. They did a quick drive and threw it up on the lift for a quick check. They checked the oil in both pumpkins and it was fine. They checked the front and rear for any noises, anything loose, leaks and found nothing. They found a leaky seal on the transfer case and topped the transfer case off with 2/3qt fluid. Noise is still there although not as pronounced. They are thinking something in the transfer case or possibly just the seal. They also were thinking possibly wrong trans fluid or someone had topped off with the wrong fliud as the transmission was a little overfilled. I am dropping the truck off on Monday for a more detailed look as the mechanic I usually deal with is on vacation and usually is the one there that works on jeeps/4x4s. They also were great and didn't charge me a thing. Any opinions? Anything in particular I should ask them to check? Are they totally off base? I welcome any and all opinions. And thanks again!!!!!!!

I really hope to post/read lots more on this forum as I really love this Jeep. I do have some mechanical ability but am by no means a mechanic.

I'm gonna go read some of the links and FAQs now.
Unread 12-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
crgeltn
1995 ZJ 

Oh yeah forgot to add, the whining just seemed to come from the left front as I only had that window open and it is closest to the transfer case.
Unread 12-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

Another way to test a front wheel bearing is to "weave" from left to right while drive down the road. If the sound quits when you weave from left to right, chances are it's your front left wheel bearing.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
crgeltn
1995 ZJ 

The noise is constant but quiet when moving but when I am on the gas, under load, or the faster you go the louder it gets. When you let off the gas the noise is still there but barely noticeable and only there while the jeep is moving. I also forgot to mention I looked at the tires this morning and they are big, new 31x 10.5 Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts. There is no rubbing or anything but not sure if that would have anything to do with it. It is definately not tire hum though.
Unread 12-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #11
TowMaster
1996 ZJ 

When you say that the noise is more pronounced when accelerating slightly concerns me. If it's a wheel bearing problem you should hear it about the same with relation to the speed. You NEED to pay attention to what these people have said or you shouldn't have posted. Put a jack under your front pumpkin and jack it up until your left front tire is off the ground and wiggle the darn tire. If it doesn't wiggle than it could be in the front pumpkin, or in the transfer case.
NightCrew #125

Quote:
Why don't they have braille at drive-thru's?
TowMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #12
bigbluebowtie
1995 ZJ 

I agree with the above poster. Please try what they say, that will eliminate all possibilities of the wheel bearing and then we can move on to the next step. If it is more pronounced when it is under acceleration and still there on deceleration, it sounds like a pinion bearing to me. Try this, accelerate up to speed and once you get to speed, let off just slightly, enough to take the load off of the drivetrain, if the noise stops just for a second and then starts again when the load is on the drivetrain for deceleration, it most likely is the pinion bearing. Take my information however you see it, but that is my opinion. I know I haven't been on the site for a long time, but I am a DIY mechanic (not a professional) and have lots of experience in the field. Good luck.
Unread 12-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
crgeltn
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMaster View Post
When you say that the noise is more pronounced when accelerating slightly concerns me. If it's a wheel bearing problem you should hear it about the same with relation to the speed. You NEED to pay attention to what these people have said or you shouldn't have posted. Put a jack under your front pumpkin and jack it up until your left front tire is off the ground and wiggle the darn tire. If it doesn't wiggle than it could be in the front pumpkin, or in the transfer case.

Thanks for posting and sorry if I wasn't clear in my more recent posts. I AM paying attention. At the shop they checked for wheel bearing noise. Yes, they yanked on all four wheels. They also checked for noise in both pumpkins while on the lift and they found none. That is why they were leaning more toward the transfer case as it was leaking (not bad) but was 2/3qt low and the seal is bad. Once they check it out further on Monday I will post again. Again, is there anything else I should have them check?
Unread 12-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #14
bigbluebowtie
1995 ZJ 

Hmmm. Did they check the vehicle just on the hoist or while driving too? They should check while driving, because without a load on the axles, it may not make a noise at all! I wish I could drive it for you so I could hear it...
Unread 12-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #15
Andymack
2000 WJ 

The front diff could just be low on fluid. Try checking that...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.