first to second shift problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > first to second shift problem

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Sparxx

first to second shift problem

Hi guys new to your site so be kind. I did a search first and couldn't find any info so now I need some help. First I'm tring to help my parents with their Jeep. It is a 2000 Jeep Grand Cheerokee 4.0L 4x4 with I believe R42 trans. They are having problems with it shifting back and forth from first to second. It gets to the point where it should shift to second but its like it gets confused and shifts back and forth a couple of times before staing in second. They have had it to the dealership (poor service center) and they can't figurre out whats wrong with it. When they first had it in there they said the fluid pressure was low. They said they fixed that. Its also had a fluid flush and filter change, also changed govenor soliniod and sensor. So any help would be great. Thanks.

Sparxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
02grand
2002 WJ 

try taking it to tranny shop and see what they say. Most shops will do free analysis. I had this prob im my 42re and it needed rebuilt. Something to do with throttle body in tranny. Hope this helps.
02grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
onecrazyjeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have an 01 grand cherokee. i have the same problem and they said to replace the govenor pressure switch.
onecrazyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Governor pressure solenoid and governor pressure switch.

Replace both at the same time.

Your cost would be about $100 and a half hour of your time.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Sparxx

Governor soleniod and switch have been replaced already. I did list that in the original post. I guess its time to trade this pos in on the cash 4 clunkers deal.
Sparxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.