First Purchase Inquiry - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > First Purchase Inquiry

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
ShugaWataPurple

First Purchase Inquiry

Hey guys,
Looking to become a fellow Jeep owner
the one I'm currently interested in now is a 1995 Grand Cherokee Limited 4L i6 at 280km
I've provided the ad here:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...159947321.html

anything in general that I should just watch out for when considering this vehicle?
or anything that is a huge red flag in this specific ad?

I don't know a lot about these cars but I gotta start somewhere right?
Appreciate the input

ShugaWataPurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

It looks and sounds really good. And it's been owned by the family which is another plus. I want those marshmallow seats.

There's a 100 different things you can check, but it's the 4.0L with the 242 transfer case so the biggest things I would look for are bearing noise in the differentials, exhaust manifold crack and cooling system. If you have a portable scanner I would bring it along to see all the live data.

Also check for rust along the rocker panels and the rear bumper/upper control arm areas.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
ShugaWataPurple

Thanks a lot!
Hopefully this goes well!
Unread 11-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Where's the full sized spare?
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
ShugaWataPurple

It's in the trunk.
Also how much would a new radiator cost? Cause I bought it and it effin just blew on me when I was going up a hill....
I'm really hoping it's just a hose..
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
ShugaWataPurple

Ok so here's how it goes.
I filled up my truck
Was going up a hill and I couldn't get the car to go past 60 km
I went petal to the metal and nothing then all of a sudden it revved and hit 100. Awesome..
I turned and went on a straight road where it started smoking. I stopped and opened the trunk and coolant was leaking everywhere..
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Could be a number of things. Fix what you know is wrong then see if it still does the same thing.

Radiator is around $80.00 at your local parts store with the online coupons. Check the upper and lower radiator hoses, then the water pump, then the heater core hoses, then the reservoir hose to the radiator cap. If all those are good, you need a radiator.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

They all do that.

Sorry you are having problems already. That will give you a greater sense of enjoyment when it's not having problems.
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShugaWataPurple View Post
Ok so here's how it goes.
I filled up my truck
Was going up a hill and I couldn't get the car to go past 60 km
I went petal to the metal and nothing then all of a sudden it revved and hit 100. Awesome..
I turned and went on a straight road where it started smoking. I stopped and opened the trunk and coolant was leaking everywhere..
Did it start smoking, or, was it steam? Did it downshift any while going up the hill? I've only seen a coolant hose or radiator rupture when the engine was getting hotter than normal, so, was it running hot or anything? Just trying to gain a clearer picture of the situation, don't mean to overwhelm you with questions...
rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
ShugaWataPurple

@rlcii7: no it wasn't running hot. When I went up the hill it wouldn't go past 60 and then afterwards the RPMs went really high and it picked up speed. That's when I turned and it started smoking hot white smoke and coolant was leaking everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins
Could be a number of things. Fix what you know is wrong then see if it still does the same thing. Radiator is around $80.00 at your local parts store with the online coupons. Check the upper and lower radiator hoses, then the water pump, then the heater core hoses, then the reservoir hose to the radiator cap. If all those are good, you need a radiator.
I can't tell what's wrong unfortunately, I'm on the side of the road and I'm not very car savvy
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
ShugaWataPurple

Ok so update (sorry for the double posts)
I'm pretty sure it's the radiator, I just need to get it home right now! I'll keep you guys posted throughout the week.
Thanks for the help though!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.