First post, I need help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > First post, I need help!

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-21-2003, 07:19 PM   #1
willsellout

First post, I need help!

OK so this is my first time here. My name is Dan and I have owned this particular Jeep for about a year. It has run well but to my dismay I have some serious issues. I went to get a coolant leak checked out and this is what needs to be done. What I am looking for is whether or not I can do it myself with the Haynes repair manual, and how difficult and or expensive is it, and finally, what needs to be done first. My jeep is a 96' grand cherokee 4x4 4 liter inline 6.

This is the list
Water pump is leaking
Thermostat is leaking
exhaust leak
transfer case leak
oil filter housing seals leak
both front axl boots need replacement, they are torn.
transmission pan gasket

Thats it, if I was to get it repaired by them, it would cost over 3 grand..obviously, I don't have that cash offhand..I also live in orange county california if anyone knows of any good people to work on the stuff I cant do..Thanks and sorry my first post here is such a pain in the butt.

Dan

willsellout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2003, 08:36 PM   #2
RockPaws

Hey Dan welcome.
The issues you might say are normal maintenance on the Jeep. All are important. I have owned 2 grands and have a number of customers with them that I work on. So I have done all the items you have listed. Here is the order I would do the in.

1) Cooling system - H2O pump, thermostat, at the same time I woudl replaced the radiator and heater hoses. FLush the system and install new coolant 50/50 mix.

2) Front axle CV boots. If you wait too long on this you can get dirt and water into the joint and then you have to replace it.

3) Exhaust leak, knowing the 4.0L I assume its the exhaust header is cracked.

back in a minute
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2003, 08:42 PM   #3
willsellout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockPaws
Hey Dan welcome.
The issues you might say are normal maintenance on the Jeep. All are important. I have owned 2 grands and have a number of customers with them that I work on. So I have done all the items you have listed. Here is the order I would do the in.

1) Cooling system - H2O pump, thermostat, at the same time I woudl replaced the radiator and heater hoses. FLush the system and install new coolant 50/50 mix.

2) Front axle CV boots. If you wait too long on this you can get dirt and water into the joint and then you have to replace it.

3) Exhaust leak, knowing the 4.0L I assume its the exhaust header is cracked.

back in a minute
Yeah I am doing the water pump and thermostat this weekend first. The CV boots I am going to go to the local college to see if they will do it for cost of parts. The jeep dealer quoted me 550 to do that job. It says that the exhaust manifold is leaking..I have read that I could probably find one at a junk yard and put some new seals on it and call it good. I have learned most of the other stuff is failry easy to do, I have a friend that is good with cars he is gonna help me out. But any advice from you or help would be much appreciated.

Dan
Unread 08-21-2003, 09:55 PM   #4
RockPaws

In continuing....
4) Transmission and transfer case- plan on servicing them at the same time and repair the leaks.
5) Oil filter adapter gasket. These can be quite difficult to get off. The "allen" type of bolt can be very tight. Then just replace 2 or 3 o-rings.

Keep the fluids up, don't let them get low.

As for the Exhaust manifold header, get one form Jeep. don't bother with a used one - it will crack soon. Jeep I heard has re-designed it to not crack.

The front CV boots can be bought at NAPA for about $15 each, all you need is the crimping tool, which they carry. Just need to make sure theirs no dirt in there. If they have to be taken appart, its a little trickey and this is where experiance counts.

During any of the maintenance you do, read first on how to. Then have your friend help.. you learn how to.

Its best to have a factory service manual, great book to learn about your Jeep.

Frank
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2003, 11:01 PM   #5
whitevette

Frank,
Are you able to elaborate on this exhaust manifold crack? I hadn't heard that this was a problem on GC's. I know I have an exhaust leak but haven't gone under to check it out yet.

Thanks,
Colin
'77 Corvette L-48
'74 Land Cruiser FJ40
whitevette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2003, 07:24 AM   #6
immortal_suby

Water Pump

I searched the forum but could not find anything specific on changing out a water pump.
I'm doing the water pump on a 97 grand cherokee v8 this weekend for a girl at work. I've never been under the hood on one of these with an 8 cylinder.
The shop wanted $240 so I'm trying to save her some money. I've done plenty of auto repair in my garage at home but was wondering if there are any tricks to this job. I'm assuming the pump is an easy one to pull - belt driven and mounted right in front? Any pitfalls for this job I should be aware of? 240 sounded a little steep so I thought maybe this was a harder job than I'm expecting.
Thanks for any help.
immortal_suby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2003, 08:58 AM   #7
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Pretty much like any other v8 except its crammed into a small compartment.. Take of the fan shroud.. and you should have enough room..
GOod luck..

Also the Cv axles are only $89 each.. If you are going to remove them to replace the boot.. You might want to consider just putting new axles in .. Especially if you have any front end noise..
(Ie Clicking in turns.) That is a sure fire sign that your cv is going out and they are very easy to change..
If you want to do it just pm me and I will guide you thru it..

Carl

Last edited by Swamp Boy; 08-22-2003 at 09:20 AM..
Swamp Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2003, 02:34 PM   #8
willsellout

Just an update, I have since taken it to a mechanic and had them fix the water pump, thermostat, and cv boots. There is an oil leak and it seems to be coming from the oil filter mostly..The mechanic said I did endeed have an exhaust leak but that it might be just a gasket, or if it is a crack that he can weld it. The transfer case, he said wasn't really leaking but when I am running it and the oil warms and thins it seeps a little bit. I looked at the tranny pan and can't see any evidence of leakage. The pan gasket I have learned is fairly easy to do, As well as the oil filter housing seals. Now the problem is going out and buying a set of tools, a lift and some jackstands..money money money. Any advice on what tools and where to get them?
And thanks for all your guys's help. I love online forums..

Dan
Unread 08-29-2003, 05:32 PM   #9
immortal_suby

I'll update also -
Removed a serpentine belt idler pulley to get access to the water pump pulley with a strap wrench to hold it still while removing the large fan nut. You can also use a spanner for this according to the manual. The manual also said to try holding the serpentine belt tightly to keep the pulley from slipping but it did not work.

Once the bolt is free the fan and radiator shroud can be removed together.
Pulling the pump and installing the new pump was easy. Scraping off the old gasket and rtv was the most time consuming. About 1.5 hrs total for the job taking it slow.
Torque spec for the water pump bolts is 30 ft-lbs.

Anyone want the chiltons manual for the grand cherokee? I bought it just for reference for this job but will be putting it on ebay soon if no one here wants it.
immortal_suby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.