JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   first offroad trip in the new to me ZJ (broke down) (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/first-offroad-trip-new-me-zj-broke-down-1529755/)

huntsducks70 05-29-2013 02:17 PM

first offroad trip in the new to me ZJ (broke down)
 
monday morning i loaded up the wife and 3 kids and we headed out to cleghorn to test her out. all was good, crawling the trails, climbing a few hills running the A/C and the temp never comes close to the 210 mark. that was the good part, now the bad.

as we were driving down the fire road, i head a distinctive "bing" come from the engine compartment, then i lost charging and power steering. i pop the hood and the power steering pump pulley is missing from the shaft. so that means no serpentine and thus, NO WATER PUMP! i am still at the very top of cleghorn when this happened. so i had my kids jump in with my brother and i start down the hill less power steering, water pump and charging.

we evnentually made it down and called AAA. we all got home safe and now i will replace the PS pump and pulley.

can't wait to take her out a again!


http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps295c4759.jpg

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps51916b14.jpg

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/a...psc7014d4a.jpg

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/a...psa7c345a5.jpg

PolkaPower 05-29-2013 03:23 PM

Yea that happens with age they become brittle. Make sure you get a Mopar OEM replacement. It should say made in Canada on it.

Getting the old sleeve off can be a pain. The puller ripped the metal lip off mine and I had to carefully cut it off with a dremmel. I used PB blaster on it to. Install took 5 minutes just making sure the pulley lined up with the other pulleys and not pressed on to far.

huntsducks70 05-29-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolkaPower (Post 15494971)
Yea that happens with age they become brittle. Make sure you get a Mopar OEM replacement. It should say made in Canada on it.

Getting the old sleeve off can be a pain. The puller ripped the metal lip off mine and I had to carefully cut it off with a dremmel. I used PB blaster on it to. Install took 5 minutes just making sure the pulley lined up with the other pulleys and not pressed on to far.

hi, thanks for the tips.

did you lubricate the new pulley in any way before pressing onto the shaft?

i have a Napa Dorman OE pulley, would you return it and get he Mopar OEM pulley?

PolkaPower 05-29-2013 04:34 PM

I would if I were you. I don't think they are made to the same standards as the Mopar pulley and mine lasted 127k miles. I found some hairline cracks in it when I was replacing the harmonic balancer so I replaced it. Why take chances with something that can leave you stranded.
I lubed the shaft with some oil before I pressed it on. You can use anything slick. Just make sure it's lined up well because that can cause belt problems if it's not. I never go cheap with those kinds of parts because if I do I know I will just be replacing it again soon.

huntsducks70 05-29-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolkaPower (Post 15495258)
I would if I were you. I don't think they are made to the same standards as the Mopar pulley and mine lasted 127k miles. I found some hairline cracks in it when I was replacing the harmonic balancer so I replaced it. Why take chances with something that can leave you stranded.
I lubed the shaft with some oil before I pressed it on. You can use anything slick. Just make sure it's lined up well because that can cause belt problems if it's not. I never go cheap with those kinds of parts because if I do I know I will just be replacing it again soon.

thanks for the reply.

you make a lot of sense, i just ordered the Mopar pulley for $27.00, compared to the $23.00 Napa pulley which i will return today.

i am going to follow your example and examine the pulley periodically from now on!

thanks again!

cgcarpenter 06-02-2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntsducks70

thanks for the reply.

you make a lot of sense, i just ordered the Mopar pulley for $27.00, compared to the $23.00 Napa pulley which i will return today.

i am going to follow your example and examine the pulley periodically from now on!

thanks again!

Where you located hunt?
I'm in West Covina and would love to help in any way and love to hit cleghorn sometime

huntsducks70 06-03-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgcarpenter (Post 15509036)
Where you located hunt?
I'm in West Covina and would love to help in any way and love to hit cleghorn sometime

hey carpenter, i'm in covina and would like to meet up with you. next time we go out, you are more than welcome to join us. i've only had my jeep for a month and love driving her. i R&Rd the power steering pump and installed a new Mopar pulley, we took her to glenhelen on sunday to give her a little test in the heat, spent about an hour on the fire roads and hit a couple small obstacles, so far so good. i have a 231 at home that i want to swap in, i might try and tackle it this weekend.

OldManTan 06-03-2013 03:49 PM

I'm interested in joining when you make your next cleghorn trip....:cheers2:
>John

huntsducks70 06-04-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldManTan (Post 15514867)
I'm interested in joining when you make your next cleghorn trip....:cheers2:
>John

hi john, you would be more than welcome to join us, i will pm you and carpenter my number


The time now is 03:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.