First Jeep! What should I do first!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > First Jeep! What should I do first!?

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 03-12-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
JessyAM

First Jeep! What should I do first!?

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 i6

So excited that I got my first jeep, had to replace a crankshaft sensor but it's running well now.

I want to lift it and put new tires.. what doe everyone recommend? I'm thinking 3-4.5" lift.

JessyAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
nixer600

Just empty every pocket.

Welcome.
nixer600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Besides changing all the fluids and doing an ignition tune up?

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=ZLK

IRO is one of the most popular brands around here.

Tires are a personal preference. Are you going A/Ts or M/Ts? What size? All depends on what kind of wheeling you do, or if its for looks.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

details and pictures required. something, somewhere on your jeep is broken. go find it and start fixing. for every upgrade 2 thinks will break. you have been warned.

seriously welcome, show some pics and give us details on your year, model, engine etc. always use the search function before you ask questions.

Look at some peoples build threads. we have everything from modified all over to stock so there's lots of info. Enjoy
Unread 03-13-2014, 03:02 AM   #5
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

Yeah, kiss your savings goodbye :-)

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Go ahead and buy a spare PCM. You are going to need it, sooner or later. Especially for a 96-98 model.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Go ahead and buy a spare PCM. You are going to need it, sooner or later. Especially for a 96-98 model.
^ so true :-(

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
JessyAM

Thanks y'all & I'm prepared to son the savings that's what it's for after all
As far as the PCM, it's already done! I've heard of too many problems and it was one of the first things to buy.

It won't let m post any pictures but it's a 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the I6 4.0! 4x4 of course and intend to use that to go mudding occasionally
Unread 03-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #9
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

I know people keep hating on me for saying this, but maintenance, maintenance, maintenance... You can pay to fix all the boring stuff now, or pay for it when you have to tow it home. I'd start with all of the fluids, giving the cooling system a good once-over, brakes, every rubber bushing (that's not getting replaced when you lift it), motor and tranny mounts, gaskets, seals, steering linkage, ball joints, make sure the charging system isn't going to crap out on you, sensors, solenoids, check it for rust, etc.

Once all the boring stuff is up to par, then you can do fun stuff like lift and tires. My two pennies.

Oh, and welcome to JF
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
I know people keep hating on me for saying this, but maintenance, maintenance, maintenance... You can pay to fix all the boring stuff now, or pay for it when you have to tow it home. I'd start with all of the fluids, giving the cooling system a good once-over, brakes, every rubber bushing (that's not getting replaced when you lift it), motor and tranny mounts, gaskets, seals, steering linkage, ball joints, make sure the charging system isn't going to crap out on you, sensors, solenoids, check it for rust, etc.

Once all the boring stuff is up to par, then you can do fun stuff like lift and tires. My two pennies.

Oh, and welcome to JF
I was just about to say the same thing. Before you lift it, replace all the old parts. Like hoses, motor mounts, trans mount, ect like stated above. After that is all done and it's running in tip top shape, and as reliable as it's gonna get, then lift it.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #11
JessyAM

Great advice, I've already started with some of it but you named things I wouldn't think of. Thanks y'all!
Unread 03-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #12
bobinAZ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I was just about to say the same thing. Before you lift it, replace all the old parts. Like hoses, motor mounts, trans mount, ect like stated above. After that is all done and it's running in tip top shape, and as reliable as it's gonna get, then lift it.

been doing this for almost 2 months now.. its been well worth it, not as fun as tires and a lift but broken down on the road/trail is less fun..

read the 12 things post. good info on maintenance.
Unread 03-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #13
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Interesting comment. Between my father and I we have pounded out well over a million miles on numerous ZJ's dating back to the day they came on the market without ever replacing a PCM.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #14
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Before you lift it I would recommend getting a locker and skid plates. The former is good for posing but the latter gets you furthest down the trail.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #15
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Interesting comment. Between my father and I we have pounded out well over a million miles on numerous ZJ's dating back to the day they came on the market without ever replacing a PCM.
My ZJ's combined comes to just under 800,000 miles. Out of all that, there's been one replacement PCM. Some people have great luck with them, other people go through them like they're Kleenex.
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.