Firing up the ZJ again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Firing up the ZJ again

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 11-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
93JGC5.2L
1993 ZJ 

Firing up the ZJ again

We'll I have a few days off an figure I'd see if I can get the Jeep running again. She's been sitting in the driveway for 4 years. I think the gas tank was mostly full when parked. I've got the battery on a charger. Should I just toss that in and fire her up or do you guys have any suggestions before I try and crank it over? I've heard trans fluid down the spark plug holes, etc but those were on inline motors, I don't think it will do much on the v8 (5.2L) with how the cylinders sit.. Oil was changed before it was parked and other fluids still look good. Thanks in advance!

93JGC5.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Might want to add water remover to certain fluids depending on how the look. But you said they look good so if everything looks to be in order (fluids belts shafts. Really anything that will be moving.) I would personally giver a go.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum and has probably been edited.
RagTagSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Maybe siphon out the old gas and put some fresh in. Make sure oil looks good. Check hoses for cracking/dry rot.
Unread 11-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
93JGC5.2L
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post
Maybe siphon out the old gas and put some fresh in. Make sure oil looks good. Check hoses for cracking/dry rot.
I'd love to siphon out the old gas but I don't really have a place to store 20 gallons of old 87. Good call on the hoses. I need to clean a lot of leaves and pine needles out of the bay so I can do that when I'm in there.
Unread 11-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JGC5.2L

I'd love to siphon out the old gas but I don't really have a place to store 20 gallons of old 87. Good call on the hoses. I need to clean a lot of leaves and pine needles out of the bay so I can do that when I'm in there.
Hmmm. Got 20 milk jugs? Lmao. Maybe just dump some octane booster in there and rock the jeep side to side so it mixes alittle.

Turn the key on, let the fuel pump prime for 3-5seconds, try and start the Jeep but only bump it, don't hold the key forward. Do that a couple times so fuel is in the fuel rail. Then start the Jeep. Make sure the battery is good and charged.
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
93JGC5.2L
1993 ZJ 

I also read someone suggested disconnecting the coil and cranking the key a few times to prime the oil system. I guess by biggest fear is breaking the rings if they have rusted to the cylinder wall. IIRC, it still has a bad plenum gasket, maybe there was enough oil in there when I parked it they should be ok? lol
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JGC5.2L
I also read someone suggested disconnecting the coil and cranking the key a few times to prime the oil system. I guess by biggest fear is breaking the rings if they have rusted to the cylinder wall. IIRC, it still has a bad plenum gasket, maybe there was enough oil in there when I parked it they should be ok? lol
I have zero experience in doing that. My ZJ has sat for 8months without starting. But I'm only at 107k miles. How many do you have?
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
ramthis426
2005 WK 

how about some photos
Unread 11-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Nejeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramthis426 View Post
how about some photos
Or better yet a video so we can hear all the strange noises it makes

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nejeep View Post
Or better yet a video so we can hear all the strange noises it makes
win
RagTagSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
G-Man2
1996 ZJ 

I think you will be asking for trouble if you do not get the old gas out first. It will likely be gummy and cause trouble with the entire fuel system if you try to run it through.
G-Man2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
93JGC5.2L
1993 ZJ 

Pulled the plugs and borrowed a friends bore scope. Plugs look good and the cylinder walls are clean. She's got 73k original miles. I'm expecting a lot of smoke. If it kills the motor, the whole thing is going to get scrapped. The body is worse than I remember. Part of me says fix it part of me says move on. Surprisingly the gas still smells like gasoline I'm throwing a battery in it and turning the key.
Unread 11-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

If its not too late i would do as has already been suggested and pull the coil lead and crank her first. Check that you have oil pressure. When you do, reconnect the coil and go for it. I do this regulary with the jeep i have in Sweden. She always starts like i had just turned her off.
Dont forget the video.
jt_armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
93JGC5.2L
1993 ZJ 

It's alive! I primed it by pulling the coil like you guys said. Also, it wouldn't start in P but it does in N so I'm thinking there might be a bad switch somewhere on the shifter. And it needs a new right front brake hard line, the pedal went straight to the floor once the booster got vacuum.
Unread 11-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JGC5.2L View Post
It's alive! I primed it by pulling the coil like you guys said. Also, it wouldn't start in P but it does in N so I'm thinking there might be a bad switch somewhere on the shifter. And it needs a new right front brake hard line, the pedal went straight to the floor once the booster got vacuum.
probably the neutral safety switch.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.