Firing up a Pick-N-Pull motor. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Firing up a Pick-N-Pull motor.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 10-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Firing up a Pick-N-Pull motor.

Hey guys. I hang out over in the YJ threads. I have searched the GC threads with no result. Knowing and understanding that an EFI motor has a PCM, TCM, CKPS, CPS, TPS (and so forth), I just have a question. How does one fire up a 1993 ZJ 5.2 in a pick-N-pull yard to see if it runs when keys or certain components are missing? Is there a points distributor (if it's even compatible) that I can drop in and just dump some gas down the throttle body? I can fire up anything with a carb, but I am at a loss on an EFI unit. Thanks in advance.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
LA (Light A) and Magnum Parts Crossover
There are many LA parts that can be used with Magnum engines, making the swap considerably more efficient. For example, the distributor, timing chain, oil pan, pulleys, front cover, valve covers, engine mounts and accessories are all direct bolt-ons. The Magnum also uses the standard small block Mopar transmission bolt pattern-no adapters required to bolt up your existing transmission.
http://www.magnumswap.com/using-la-parts-on-a-magnum/
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

You can hot wire pretty easily if you take the steering console apart. Basically get a wiring diagram, cut the wires, attach the power to the Ignition wire, then touch the starter wire against both until it starts and then release it just like if you were turning the key to the start position. Problem is the alarm on these, it will most likely go off as soon as you connect power to it. Theres also the old fuel that may or may not be in it, I would just run it on ether.
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Dukcaln

most junk yard have a return policy on engines and all parts you pull or pick, if you get it out and have issues you can bring it back with no questions, I have done this once and the second motor we pulled ran like a top.
Unread 10-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukcaln View Post
most junk yard have a return policy on engines and all parts you pull or pick, if you get it out and have issues you can bring it back with no questions, I have done this once and the second motor we pulled ran like a top.
But the problem with this method is that you have to pull the motor from the junkyard jeep, install the motor into your jeep, then if it's bad, pull the motor back out of your jeep, return it, pull another motor from a junkyard jeep, and install another motor into your jeep.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Lustra

That's not a job that I would want to do twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
But the problem with this method is that you have to pull the motor from the junkyard jeep, install the motor into your jeep, then if it's bad, pull the motor back out of your jeep, return it, pull another motor from a junkyard jeep, and install another motor into your jeep.
Yes , the mileage is stored in the PCM , it's only available through a DRB scan, it is irrelevant to 99% of jeepers
What about the other 1%?

Silly Hillbilly
Lustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
True , a gamble and a lot of work . You could reduce the odds by pulling the head/s right at the JY . There can be some pretty obvious signs of a good/bad engine . If the cylinders are all decent , better odds of not wasting all that effort for nothing . I'd much rather waste a little time than a lot . New gaskets if all looks well .

Another thing is to find an accident victim . Had to be running when it crashed right .

I'd be hard pressed before buying an engine at the pick-n-pull unless searching for a core . Not exactly a nice place to crawl under a vehicle .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Ya especially where it snows it usually stays mucky under the vehicles here in pg.
Unread 10-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Another thing is to find an accident victim . Had to be running when it crashed right
This.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukcaln View Post
Yes, most do, but it's just the hassle of pulling a motor in the cold during my one-hour lunch, getting it home and installed just to find out that it has a loud knock. Then having to pull it back out of the vehicle, take it back to the yard, pulling another motor hoping that it too doesn't have a problem.

I have had times where I have had pulled the heads, everything checks out great, getting the motor home and installed just to find out that the lower end knocks like a persistent drug dealer.

I can hot-wire and bypass the ignition without any issues, that what a good jumper wire is for. With my latest research I think that I can pull it off by just swapping around a couple wires.

Unread 10-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
zacko-zj
1998 ZJ 

Find a place that will pull it for you. That's most of the work. Check the plugs and check the oil. Plan on changing at least the oil pan and valve cover gaskets.
zacko-zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacko-zj View Post
Find a place that will pull it for you. That's most of the work. Check the plugs and check the oil. Plan on changing at least the oil pan and valve cover gaskets.
While I have the motor out I plan on a full gasket and seal replacement, plus rings and bearings if I feel that it could use them.

I have been doing some research, and I'm confident that I can drag along a battery and some cables and jumper wires, but I'll admit that it's only a theory at this time.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.