Firestone messed up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Firestone messed up

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
elf517
1998 ZJ 

Firestone messed up

So I brought my ZJ to Firestone for a diagnostic and a brake check. After three hours of waiting aimlessly, They finish and give me my keys less that 2 min later I get on the highway to go home my hood flys up cracks my windshield. Almost get nailed by an 18 wheeler trying to get on the shoulder. Manage to pull my hood down tie it down with a bungie and drive it back to the firestone. They had the nerve to tell me it was not their mechanics fault my hood was not properly latched. ARE YOU KIDDING ME WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!!! Is it just me?

elf517 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Buzz98zj
1998 ZJ 

Wow! They have some big basket balls. Lol that is absurd!
Buzz98zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
elf517
1998 ZJ 

I had their mechanic by the throat and dragged him to look at my jeep How the **** is he gonna tell me it aint his fault when he worked on my car and shut my hood 5 min before i left and handed me my keys seriously own up to ur mistakes and fix my car
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Thats what you get for going to firestone. I wont even let them put tires on my vehicles, horribly run place.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
Cherokeegrrl
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If they opened your hood at all they are responsible for closing it properly providing that there was no visible defect to your mechanism. After all, it was latched when you brought it in. Since they're already in denial, forget the little guys in the shop. Go straight to corporate with your complaint. Take pics!

Firestone does not want another "incident" on their plate. They'll pony up.
Cherokeegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
TurboTPI
1995 ZJ 

That sucks man. I woulda drove thru the front window and said I couldnt see cause the hood flew open.
09 Polaris Dragon 800 (His)
TurboTPI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTPI View Post
That sucks man. I woulda drove thru the front window and said I couldnt see cause the hood flew open.
I like this idea.

And yes, as for the liability, they are indeed liable for it. I work for goodyear, and at our auto service centers, anyone who does anything to a vehicle is responsible for it.as a company, if you improperly torque a wheel and warp the rotor, or it comes off, the company is liable. Same with hood latches, fluid caps and dipsticks, etc.

Unread 06-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

I've had nothing but problems with mechanics (see my blog). If you can do it yourself, do it yourself. If you have to bring it to a mechanic, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO WATCH EVERYTHING THEY DO. Its your car, if they refuse to let you watch them working from a safe area, take it somewhere else. I'm never letting anyone touch my car ever again without my supervision.
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
elf517
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTPI View Post
lol love the idea. I already called their manager and threatened to contact local news stations and newspapers along with corporate. I just laid out two grand for a trans on it I dont need a new hood and a windshield on top of my aching wallet. Only reason I let them do it was because they were the only place near where i was working so I was able to drop off the jeep and wait at my job
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

best thing you can do when you take it somewhere like that is to visually inspect it before you even get in it. most of the big name places like that fill out a vehicle condition report before doing any work, and if its not noted in the report, and you notice it after the work has been done. they are obligated to fix it

Unread 06-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
elf517
1998 ZJ 

Normally I ma good about keeping up on checking afterward but i was running late for meeting a new tenant for one of my company's apartments i just didnt think to do it. My mind was on **** i need to be there in 20 min. Sadly never made it there
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

If you're supporting a national chain instead of a private local shop expect to be treated like you took your car to wal mart.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #13
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinheep89
Thats what you get for going to firestone. I wont even let them put tires on my vehicles, horribly run place.
I got a flat and it was warrantied and I took off the tire, had them fix it, and installed the tire myself. Will never go to firestone again, and don't get me started on Americas tire co. Had one experience at Goodyear and was extremely happy. Oh and I had firestone do a tire rotation or something, and they mention under my hood. Why are you under my hood in the first place, Crooks!
johnridesjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #14
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Even with the hood not on all the way its still latched in place i dont see how that happend. but it sucks nonetheless
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #15
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
If you're supporting a national chain instead of a private local shop expect to be treated like you took your car to wal mart.
I like this response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
Even with the hood not on all the way its still latched in place i dont see how that happend. but it sucks nonetheless
I agree with this. Though it is still possible what happened. I wonder why it still flew up. there are 2 latches that failed. the first being the initial "pop" to get the hood open or raised, and the secondary release that you manually trigger to open the hood. Are you saying that Firestone broke or disabled both of these?
jnicewan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.