finally pinpointed my oil leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > finally pinpointed my oil leak

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 11-21-2005, 04:15 PM   #1
K-Pax

finally pinpointed my oil leak

hey guys, i finally got to the bottom of my oil leak problem. my rear main seal is leaking. i checked around and found a motorsports place that will repair it for $267. i've never had anything like this done and wanted to ask you guys if this sounds reasonable.

Kevin's rig:
94 Grand Cherokee Laredo
I-6 4.0L, Quadra-Trac on demand

2" budget lift
pro-comp steelies
kevin's radiator support bar
JKS quick discos
e-mail me
K-Pax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

A search Bought up the following if you're looking to do it yourself:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...rear+main+seal

Woody claims $250 isn't a bad deal...

-Ryan
Unread 11-21-2005, 05:13 PM   #3
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

How bad is it leaking (1 Qt/week?)? how many cans of oil can you buy for $267? 100 qts? How much are willing to pay to keep that 100 qts of oil from leaking into the environment?
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2005, 12:07 AM   #4
K-Pax

ok.......everything i've read so far that sounded simple to repair myself has turned into a nightmare lol. as far as how much oil i'm losing, i usually have to put about 2 qts/month in. i'm working on sealing all leaks, to clean the undercarriage of any oil/grease. i'm doing this for when i feel like crossing a creek, none of the junk gets in the water. i started to cross one the other day, but decided against it because of the oil leak.

there is enough pollution in our water systems from all the chicken houses we have here as it is.

Kevin's rig:
94 Grand Cherokee Laredo
I-6 4.0L, Quadra-Trac on demand

2" budget lift
pro-comp steelies
kevin's radiator support bar
JKS quick discos
e-mail me
K-Pax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2005, 12:32 AM   #5
gdupjeep

Cost of oil

Forget the cost of oil. In my case, I didn't want my damn garage floor stained to hell. I think $267 is a pretty good price. I was quoted about that, but it turned out it was my valve cover gasket, not the rear main seal. Good luck with the fix.
gdupjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2005, 01:51 AM   #6
OlllllllO Jeep1

$267 isnt too bad that is about the cheapest price that I have heard. Parts will cost you around $15 bucks for the seal and another $15-25 for the oil pan seal. So if you want to save yourself a couple hundred bucks to spend on something else for your Jeep, like gas then do it yourself. I did my Wrangler 4.0 a while back and it took a few hours. Just make sure to spray all the oil pan bolts with PB Blaster a few days before bust them loose with a breaker bar and if you have air tools use them after they are loose just to save your arms as there is about 28 bolts on the pan. I would advise getting a brass punch to remove the old seal. At the time I couldnt find one so I just bought some brass rod and turned it down on the grinder, to the size I needed.

It really isnt that hard of a Job. Seeing that you have a garage that makes it that much easier. If you have another vehicle just tear it apart one day and re-assemble it the nest.

Just make sure that it isnt your vavle cover gasket. the oil could run down and appear to be the rear seal. It is much easier to replace the vavle cover gasket.
OlllllllO Jeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2005, 09:04 AM   #7
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Pax

there is enough pollution in our water systems from all the chicken houses we have here as it is.
Unread 11-22-2005, 11:19 AM   #8
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Good, keep it clean. I work for a Co that does environmental engineering. Oil and gas can linger in the ground (if undisturbed and away from oxygen) for 40-years. Then some poor scmuck gets stuck with a cleanup bill in the $,$$$,$$$s for a spill caused by someone else, generations ago. No wonder the lawyers are running amok.

I Know -
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.